Your Favorite Military movies with a comical twist

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
I've always been very partial to Stripes, Good Morning Vietnam, and The Incredible Mr. Limpet.
Stripes and Good Morning Vietnam are like Apocolypse Now. They would have done better in all three to just end the movie about half-way through when they quit being good.

On Stripes, it should have ended at graduation from basic. That's when it quit being funny.

Good Morning Vietnam before he got involved with the VC Terrorist. That's when it quit being funny.

Apoc. Now, when he got off the boat at Marlon Brando's place. After that, I suppose you have to be on acid to understand it.

JS

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Janos
Stripes and Good Morning Vietnam are like Apocolypse Now. They would have done better in all three to just end the movie about half-way through when they quit being good.

On Stripes, it should have ended at graduation from basic. That's when it quit being funny.

Good Morning Vietnam before he got involved with the VC Terrorist. That's when it quit being funny.

Apoc. Now, when he got off the boat at Marlon Brando's place. After that, I suppose you have to be on acid to understand it.

JS
I thought I was the only one who couldn't follow Apocalypse Now. Watched it three times and still.... was sober when I watched it though! :nuts:

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by dannybou
I thought I was the only one who couldn't follow Apocalypse Now. Watched it three times and still.... was sober when I watched it though! :nuts:
I thought it was a great movie, until he got off the boat.

"Who's in charge here?"
"You mean YOU ain't?"

Can't beat dialog like that.

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To watch APOC you really need to be in an altered sense of conciousness... worked for me anyway...

Heartbreak Ridge... when Gunny pulls out the ear ring. :laugh:

when the smart ass starts paying off the lady doing the Gunny's laundry to find out what Tshirt he's wearing in the morning...

Gunny reading the touchy-feely womens magazines and trying to talk to his ex about 'their relationship'... :thumb:

The original Sgt Bilko series (along with Texas Chainsaw Massacere) were major formative events in my life....

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's see:

Catch-22: among the darkest of the dark comedies

Dr Strangelove: a Peter Sellers tour de force. Gotta like Major Kong

Full Metal Jacket: true, not a comedy per se, but the basic training segment has several laughs

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Morning Vietnam, Apocolypse Now, and Stripes

Good Morning Vietnam was Funny until he met the VC .... but still decent after that....just not funny.

Stripes......definitely should have ended after graduation....I've been to Fort Knox where it was filmed....only missed being there WHEN it was filmed by 3 months.

Apocolypse Now.....I saw it in 3 different states.....still didn't get it.
Wouldn't watch it now as it has Martin Sheen in it and I don't consider him patriotic.

still trying to think of others with a military twist.

dog

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bah Bah Blacksheep.

There was a pilot movie prior to the series. Loved it as a kid!!

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know you guys will probably disagree because of the slapstick comedy, but how about:

Hot Shots----------------Charlie Sheen
Hot Shots-Part Deux

and then you have:
Periscope Down-------with Kelsey Grammer

In the second Hot Shots movie, there is a part where Charlie Sheen passes a PBR carrying his father Martin Sheen as if he were in "Apocolypse Now". Of course Martins is quite a bit older than he was in AN.

In Apocolypse Now I love it when Duvall said, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Mark
Deo Vindice

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AARRGGHH!

I can't remember the name of the movie right now, but it had Val Kilmer as 'Nick Rivers', and it took place in WWII...

PvtManaCoB3MD

Reaction score
Country
ll
Many war films aren't comical in nature, but have so many great lines.....

I forgot the last name of the soldier....
Zulu:
Col. Sgt.: "Smith?" "Smith" "Smith....I see you....you're still alive..."
Smith: "Really? I am! Thank you colour sgt."

Patton:
"well, when you have your grandson on your knee and he says...."what did you do in the great world war two?" you don't have to say, "well, I shoveled sh*t in Louisiana.""

Patton again,
Bradley: George, I believe that if you were made Admiral of the Turkish Navy, your aides could dip into their haversacks and produce the appropriate badge and rank.

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember seeing the advertisements for that one!

I can't remember the name of the movie right now, but it had Val Kilmer as 'Nick Rivers', and it took place in WWII...
Yeah, wasn't he a spy? This was a comedy and I seem to remember the advertisements showing a black and white cow in rubber boots or something like that

dog

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
AARRGGHH!

I've got it at home. It's pretty funny in a stupid way (that's a compliment). It's all kind of anachronistic. The movie seemed to jump around in time quite a bit. I just remember the French resistance fighter named "Latrine", in fact all of them had humorous names.

Reaction score
Re: The Vietnam Movie

Originally posted by GhostSoldier
Name the archetypes of the Vietnam Movie

door gunner
chopper pilot
green beret
drafted grunt
tunnel rat
How about the super eager 2nd Lt. who's in WAY over his head who gets saved by a battlescared Sgt. on his 2nd (or 3rd) tour of duty.