Your Favorite AD&D Module?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm amazed the fellow got married and even more amazed he is still married. Is he rich or something? :D
There are some lonely women here.

Back when I was a student I used to travel between my parents place and Preston on a Sunday evening. It was an old coach style medium distance bus. One day I was sat on an otherwise quiet bus when a guy got on. Didn't take much notice of him at first but then I noticed that he was stood next to the driver as we pulled out of Liverpool. He was talking to the driver. After about five minutes the driver had to insist that the man sit down and not talk to him.

So he came and talked to me about Leyland Tiger buses and how this was the only one he'd ever seen which was a Mark III from 1975 but with some different controls than the usual ones because they had some bits left over from the mark IIs (something like this - details not accurate). he travelled to Ormskirk on that bus that day merely so he could say he'd been on that bus.

Small mercy for me he was only there for 40 minutes. Had he been there for the full hour-and-a-half journey to Preston I fear there may have been bloodshed, even if it was me ending it all.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So he came and talked to me about Leyland Tiger buses and how this was the only one he'd ever seen which was a Mark III from 1975 but with some different controls than the usual ones because they had some bits left over from the mark IIs (something like this - details not accurate).
Is it just me, or does this sound exactly like some of the discussions we've had in the ASL forum recently about WWII AFVs? :devious:

John*

*who has done Live-Action Roleplaying, written amateur SF/Fantasy, and been to one Trek convention, but will never descend to the level of train-spotting.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We didn't really use the published modules much; I only remember going through bits of B1 and B2, the Hidden Shrine, and part of a couple of the Slaver modules.

But my favorites would be two of the few I actually bought, namely Hommlet and Ravenloft. I've always been a sucker for anything with castles in it, which both have. Plus Hommlet did a really good job with the village (including some interesting hiding spots for the villagers' meagre wealth) and Ravenloft had the first of the really cool cutaway "3-D" maps.

John

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The original Ravenloft module was groundbreaking when it was released. Those were the best castle maps I had ever seen, and Ravenloft was truly a creepy place to explore with a good DM.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
for a couple of more years yet I hope !!

You know we may have discovered the thing the Reactionary Forces of Evil will propose in four years. I mean.. d'ya think Pailin's daughter would be up the duff if the only guys she knew played D&D?

McIvan

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Just to resurrect this, how many ever played the two modules set in Alice in Wonderland? They were probably the most fun I ever had in a module...pure escapism :)

Another vote for X2 Castle Amber, very well done.

MerricB

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I ran the Alice modules (EX1, EX2) about six years ago for my 3E group of the time. We had a great time - especially when, in the Magic Mirror House, they discovered copies of the D&D rulebooks, and started a quest for the magic "d20" that could slay dragons!

Cheers,
Merric

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GDQ 1-7 Queen of the Demonweb Pits - the supermodule which tied up the whole Giants/Drow/Lolth series under one cover with some GREAT added stuff.

Closely followed by T1-10 Temple of Elemental Evil - the supermodule that started with hommlet then took you all the way through the Temple itself and on to ther realms. Surprised that one wasn't mentioned yet, BTW.

Free City of Greyhwak boxed set was also endlessly enjoyable - though not quite a module, more of a setting.

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
wow.. more to this forum than just ASL.

Funny... I just got back in ASL around the beginning of the year which is how I found this forum .. however that was preceded a few years ago by getting back into another game of my youth as it were...D&D. Not as much playing it but doing a lot of creative writing for Mystara (centered around the excellent Gazetteer series) which still has a thriving online fan base though the product line itself has been dead for decades.

anyhow.. back on topic

G1-2-3. that has always been my favorite classic AD&D module, loved battling the Giants and mucho treasure to be found there.

D&D.. always loved X11 the Shadowlord module.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've never really been much of a devotee to modules much.

Always hated the part where you had to read it all through, actually remember the details :) and then keep it all straight.

But I have been warming up to using them a bit in 4th edition. Played in a few, and I occasionally browse some to see if I might be interested.

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My favourite module in AD&D is Harbinger House, a Planescape adventure, followed by Freedom, for Dark Sun. After that, in order of preference : I8 - Ravager of Time, I6 - Ravenloft, I3-5 Desert of Desolation, ...
Including the official current stuff, I'll choose Out of The Abyss (5th Ed).
Before AD&D (D&D, then), it would be B2 Keep on the Borderlands, followed by B7 - Rahasia.
All over including OSR stuff, it's A Red And Pleasant Land for Lamentations of the Flame Princess.