X2 Castle Amber: played a couple times, really enjoyed this one

Probably comes down to 2: Giants & White Plume Mtn :hurray:

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed all of those, but one of my favorites not listed has always been one that came later.....Rod of Seven Parts....

The only module I know where the concept of alignment is FUNDAMENTAL to the module. IMHO that concept really set D&D apart....

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
Another favorite is the grandaddy of them all: Keep on the Borderlands.
I didn't list this one as a favorite, probably because we really never played it since everyone had the basic set and this came in it. I read this module about a million times though. The password to get to the secret treasure room was "Bree-yark" , I don't remember if it was Goblin or Orcish language. I started playing in 1979 when I was given the basic set as a birthday present and stopped playing in the late 90s.

This reminds me of a funny story. I was in 4th grade and the kids I played with were all in my class. There was a guy named Michael Jabr that wanted to play, but his parents wouldn't buy the game. He somehow convinced his Dad that our teacher required the game for school, so his Dad bought it for him. Two weeks later the jig was up and he wasn't walking to good the next day at school.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
When we played it (just recently with my children) Bree-yark became a demon who was worshipped by the Kobold tribe as an imortal.

The group destroyed the statue of Bree yark (after defeating the geletanous cube protecting it, and the tribe voted the female elven magic user as its new leader. In revenge Bree yark turned her into a kobold.

It is an oldy but a goody.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tomb of Horrors...hated it. Lost a good character jumping into that hole in the wall. The the stupid Lich King....:mad:
Village of Homlet, was great. That village was used in many other campaigns, it was even a village in Viet Nam.:)
The Giant modules were good, lots of fun with them. Never could clear out the Drow modules.:)

I've forgotten many of the others.
I did that too. Used SL and Firepower boards for Twilight 2000, AD&D for Twilight,... Back when there weren't so many maps floating around.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here in the UK we have people who have a very sad hobby. They will spend all day stood on a railway station taking the numbers of passing rolling stock. They have little books they keep the numbers in.

They are shorthand for the nerdiest nerdy nerdmost of the nerds. They wear an out of fashion type of nylon coat, which is referred to as an anorak, even though it bears not a jot of actual functionality to the Inuit garment. So you can refer to someone as an 'anorak' and people know what you're talking of. Fear of a trainspotter is 'anoraknophobia.'

Train spotters have a long lost golden age, that of Steam, when you might have spend a chilly afternoon at Crewe, shivering in the mist and rain in the hope that the Flying Scotsman might thunder through before your eyes. Perhaps you'd see the Pullman overnight sleeper pull up and take on mail on its way to Scotland. But no longer. The trains look like buses. They all look the same and have no name. These people have no life.

But train spotters have something I never imagined. Someone they look down upon as nerds. Yes I give you... the bus spotter! I work in an office that overlooks Preston Bus station. I have seen people photographing the buses. Sometimes there are more than one. They're obviously after the latest bus to run the No.9 route to Moor Nook.

Bus spotters think AD&D players are nerds.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And before anyone says it..... I know That The Scotsman never went through Crewe when it was working because she was LNER.

Last edited:

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I happily embrace my nerdism. In fact I use it to control my children.

My young daughter is not allowed to invite a boyfriend into the house unless he can tell me the stats of his D&D character.

We play D&D once a fortnight, and a growing number of friends are joining in. In fact the majority are young ladies.

I award extra XP for "buzz lightyear" actions, an idea I got from discussions on the ASL forum.

The latest addition is "combo moves" where three or more players combine in a single attack or action, with up to 10,000 xp up for grabs.

Bill

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My young daughter is not allowed to invite a boyfriend into the house unless he can tell me the stats of his D&D character.

Hey! At least her virginity will be safe!

So I'm guessing here... Was she adopted??

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Turns out this thread was once on the ASL forum but was moved here. I'd like to reassure all the gamesquad AD&D forum members who read my little piece above that I appreciate that you all love your hobby just like the ASL crowd do.

But also that I meant all of it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This thread has now been delegated to the D&D sub-forum. End of thread I guess. :OHNO: Shame!

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This thread has now been delegated to the D&D sub-forum. End of thread I guess. :OHNO: Shame!

Speak for yourself! :D

Sorry Honza. I know you mean no harm. Note that anyone who is already subscribed will follow the thread hear. like I did.

Keep the old +2 ring of optimism on, eh?

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Bus spotters think AD&D players are nerds.
My friends brother is a Bus Spotter. For his 40th birthday, his wife (yes, a wife, although how, God only knows) had a special cake made for him in the shape of a Leyland bus. It was paraded in and the only thing he said was "Oh, but that's a 1934 Leyland and those wheels weren't in use until 1942" or some other such inane nitpickery. No thanks yous or anything - his brother and the rest of the family were incensed, but his wife just kind of shrugged and almost expected it.

Now that's a nerd.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
My friends brother is a Bus Spotter. For his 40th birthday, his wife (yes, a wife, although how, God only knows) had a special cake made for him in the shape of a Leyland bus. It was paraded in and the only thing he said was "Oh, but that's a 1934 Leyland and those wheels weren't in use until 1942" or some other such inane nitpickery. No thanks yous or anything - his brother and the rest of the family were incensed, but his wife just kind of shrugged and almost expected it.

Now that's a nerd.
I'm amazed the fellow got married and even more amazed he is still married. Is he rich or something? :D