Your Favorite AD&D Module?

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i believe we started playing d&d in '78, then ad&d shortly thereafter.
we started playing SL about a year earlier than d&d.
crap...I'm old.
co

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tomb of Horrors...hated it. Lost a good character jumping into that hole in the wall. The the stupid Lich King....:mad:
Village of Homlet, was great. That village was used in many other campaigns, it was even a village in Viet Nam.:)
The Giant modules were good, lots of fun with them. Never could clear out the Drow modules.:)

I've forgotten many of the others.

freightshaker

Reaction score
We didn't play a lot of modules probably less than 15 and all original AD&D, when 2nd edition hit we didn't touch a module. Anyway, I liked the A series of modules which were all about the slave lords. Each of my friends got a different one and DMed the module we bought for everyone else.
The other one I can think of that was pretty cool and is probably in my attic somewhere is Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Laser rifles in ADnD baby!
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is up there. Lets hear it for Power Armor!!

Fave modules: Tsojcanth, Tamoachan, Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Against the Cult of the Reptile God, probably others I'm forgetting.

And whining about off-topic on this forum is like complaining about finding a terd in a cesspool.
Tomb of Horrors is another favorite. As if a party really has a chance against a properly player Demi-lich...

Another favorite is the grandaddy of them all: Keep on the Borderlands.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nerds.* The lot of you.

*The distinction is that us geeks look down on nerds like you.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
For me all started with D&D/AD&D ( like SL and ASL ) and it ended in ASL. So, thanks to Gary Gygax...without him i wouldn´t play ASL today :eek:gre::bandit::love:

Last edited:

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most of the time I can function on this forum Ok, but this last week or so there have been so many references I just don't get. WHAT is this?
It is a still from the movie "Revenge of the Nerds" where the jocks start chanting nerds before they(I think) trash the nerds frat house.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Repiblic of Daroklin. I also set the Keep on the Borderlands there. Kids loved it.

Bill

Doktor No

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, I have great memories of the "Isle of Dread" (D&D).
My favourite D&D module was the great "Castle of the Amberville" (we played it with AD&D rules) : an excellent and rich adventure, with a very interesting background.
Very good memories also of the UK modules : "the Sentinel" and "the Gauntlet", as a Dungeon Master.
BTW, to come back on topic :D, the well-known French player Jean Devaux, who died a few years ago, told me he played some D&D action using Board 1 !

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: I'm A Loser, Baby....

Found these over here:

http://community.livejournal.com/vintage_ads

Fun place. Anyhow...

Apparently Gary Gygax thought a pretty face might be nerd bait. The poster of these over at Vintage Ads claims that the model is in deed Gary Gygax's daughter. Not so sure about an ad that says 'Where the action is' that features your daughter in a leopard print one-piece but...

Last edited:

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: She Blinded Me With Science!

The other one...

Doh! I see it did land on the other post. Seeing double.

Bought G.I. Anvil of Vistory the year that it came out at GenCon. I don't think that I even knew that it was going to be released then, didn't buy The General all the time and of course there was no internet to keep abreast of products in development like we're able to here. I was still in high school and had a strict budget for the dealer room...can't remember how much GIAOV was but once I saw it the matter was 'see-want-must-have' and the money that it cost shot my budget. Probably $30? $25? It seemed like a lot at the time for a game, even if it was a new Squad Leader module.

I think that was the same year that Monster Manual II was released and the convention was still held at UW-Parkside...I was pretty geeked about the haul at the time.

Fave module? Always like the GDQ thing. I think it was sort of the Red Barricades of D&D. Up until then you were encouraged to make your own campaign but this was really a look at a segment of a world. A few years later they released the Greyhawk kit, the Forgotten Realms and Krynn. I made my own world but don't even remember much about it. I remember having the geography of the world match the cosmology, one continent was shaped like a wolf because two deities had been fighting and one [the loser] had been cast from the heavens and hit the planet when he was cast out...a different kind of plate tectonics.

Last edited:

Sarjent Mike

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Nerds.* The lot of you.

*The distinction is that us geeks look down on nerds like you.
Boy do I have to agree with you. Although...

I sat in on a D&D game one time and thought it bizarre that two guys were playing a game and another guy was there to referee the thing, telling them the results of their ten sided die rolls, etc. It seemed the ref was arbitrarily determining the outcome of the game. I saw none of the tables, charts, etc. I associated with most wargames and later left wondering how in the world anyone could actually enjoy this game.

About a year later I was playing some squads with an opponent who was not that familiar with the rules. One of the D&D guys was there to watch and I realized that as we played, I was the walking encylopedia for our scenario, doing pretty much the same thing the ref at the D&D game had been doing. Since the D&D guy never came back, I have a feeling he got the same impression of Squad Leader that I had watching D&D.

Still, the D&D crowd was just too nerdy for me. Although I was a fanatic Magic Realm player for many years at the same time I remained an ASL fanatic, Magic Realm is on a much different level than D&D - the players are much more mature.:nuts:

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked the series playability of the original first edition modules. Start out with Keep on the Borderlands and the same letter series (I've forgotten the names) and work your way through the other letters (not in alpha order unfortunately), slavers, against the giants, then the drow series...

Tomb of Horrors killed more PC's in the first 5 minutes, until the "rumor" spread about not taking the tunnel entrance that led to the black hole. (Your second set of characters.) "You enter the black wall, which is actually a sphere of annihilation, you are dead with no save."

Barrier Peaks was awesome, the flowchart to figure out how to use a laser weapon was neat. Roll badly enough and you blow your head off, or your friends, or you made it explode, likely killing the mage and seriously wounding the thief...

Or the grenades.
Player - I press the activation button that looks like all the other activation buttons on this stuff we have been finding.
DM - Ok, then what do you do?
Player - I wait to see what happens next.
DM - (picking up a hand-full of dice) Ok, you asked for it...

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
White Plume Mountain... whats not to like in collecting 3 artifact level magic items, if you survive...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
White Plume Mountain... whats not to like in collecting 3 artifact level magic items, if you survive...
I liked that one. My fighter ended up with the Trident. But I don't remember the other two weapons - what were they?

Wasn't one of the weapons evil alignment?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I liked that one. My fighter ended up with the Trident. But I don't remember the other two weapons - what were they?

Wasn't one of the weapons evil alignment?
A hammer, Whelm, and a sword, Blackrazor.