Your Favorite AD&D Module?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Which is/was your favorite AD&D or D&D or D20 (or how ever many systems of basically the same game there are) etc. module?

Mine has to be Paul Jaquays "Dark Tower", closely followed by "Caverns Of Thracia" also by the same designer. They were released by Judges Guild.

An honourable mention goes to G3 the Fire Giant module (Hall Of The Fire Giant King?) and D3 Vault Of The Drow.

Classic Stuff!

Those were the days. Almost brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. :cry:

:clown:

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which is/was your favorite AD&D or D&D or D20 (or how ever many systems of basically the same game there are) etc. module?

Mine has to be Paul Jaquays "Dark Tower", closely followed by "Caverns Of Thracia" also by the same designer. They were released by Judges Guild.

An honourable mention goes to G3 the Fire Giant module (Hall Of The Fire Giant King?) and D3 Vault Of The Drow.

Classic Stuff!

Those were the days. Almost brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. :cry:

:clown:

I have never played a fantasy or role playing game in my life (like D&D)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry Honza, this is way to far off topic. There's a forum on this domain for this garbage. I'm not given to neg -repping but you came close.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
Sorry Honza, this is way to far off topic. There's a forum on this domain for this garbage. I'm not given to neg -repping but you came close.
A little too far from ASL for my tastes too, Trev, but not something I would get antsy about. YMMV. :)

Perhaps this does lead into something more on-topic - I get the impression that there is very limited cross over between hard core hexagon wargamers (and it doesn't get much more hardcore than ASL, Europa, OCS ... etc) and the RPG crowd. It might be interesting to hear a little about the ASLers who also have a foot in the RPG camp.

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
We didn't play a lot of modules probably less than 15 and all original AD&D, when 2nd edition hit we didn't touch a module. Anyway, I liked the A series of modules which were all about the slave lords. Each of my friends got a different one and DMed the module we bought for everyone else.
The other one I can think of that was pretty cool and is probably in my attic somewhere is Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Laser rifles in ADnD baby!

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slave Lords series for AD&D dont remember the module numbers, also the one where the mission was to explore a crashed spacecraft ( but the players werent supposed to know it at first) and many more classic modules including hall of the fire giant king, etc. i was a teenager when these were popular so it was some fascinating times, as nerdy as they may seem to others now.

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WoW WesN you and i think alike and we were virtually posting it at the same time, im weirded out!

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was playing Squad Leader(78) before I knew of D&D or AD&D so I missed the boat.

At that time, I also played AH Football Strategy and Strat-O-Matic Baseball but went total immersion into the SL series after finding another Fanatical COI player.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Whoops! Sorry about this thread being so off topic. I got the impression that a lot of ASLers used to/still do play RPG.

A mod is welcome to move this thread if it seems totally out of place.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ignore me. Grumpy is what I was. Not my place to tell you what to do.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Fave modules: Tsojcanth, Tamoachan, Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Against the Cult of the Reptile God, probably others I'm forgetting.

And whining about off-topic on this forum is like complaining about finding a terd in a cesspool.

paulkenny

Reaction score
I liked the slave pit series
The L series The secret of bone hill, the assasin's knot and Dwarve's Delve
The Village of Hommlet
U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and U2 Danger at Dunwater but not U3 The Final Enemy (had to spend the entire Module underwater IIRC)

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played D&D / AD&D and ASL back in HS and college - late 70's early 80's. AD&D eventually was pushed aside by life along with ASL, but I never got the bug to get back into RPG. I have poked around in NWN but it is not the same.

How many hours did I spend building the world of Donori? Climate, Geology, Topography, Cultures, Legends, Dieties, Timelines, Histories? I will never know and it is all gone now, lost in a flooded basement.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
back when I played ad&d I think my favorites were;
the fire giant one(that led to the 3 underworld ones)
I can't even remember the names of the underworld ones;
there was a cave crawl, a shrine of the fish people one,
and "Vault of the Drow".
the village one before the "Temple Of Elemental Evil".
although, the most fun was designing dungeons of my own!
(oy, that sounds familiar)
good times, good times.
co

Last edited:

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
oh yeah,
"White Plume Mountain" was very cool!
whoever designed it showed great imagination.:clap:

MerricB

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
back when I played ad&d I think my favorites were;
the fire giant one(that led to the 3 underworld ones)
I can't even remember the names of the underworld ones;
there was a cave crawl, a shrine of the fish people one,
and "Vault of the Drow".
the village one before the "Temple Of Elemental Evil".
although, the most fun was designing dungeons of my own!
(oy, that sounds familiar)
good times, good times.
co
G3: Hall of the Fire Giant King
D1: Descent into the Depths of the Earth
D2: Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
D3: Vault of the Drow
T1: The Village of Hommlet

Cheers!