Your experiences/difficulties with the Oregon Laminations 2mm Deluxe Corner Rounder (C006)?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I am in the minority here, but it usually takes me about a month to clip a modules counters IE I don't try to pile drive through a module in a day or less. below is a pic of the counters I clipped, it took me about a week to do. I used my scissors for these bad boys.clipped counters 001.jpg

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have clipped thousands of counters with the deluxe 2 mm and have had no problems at all. It beats any other clipping tool and I have tried them all. I will tell you the secret of it not breaking. I too was freaked out by earlier stories of them breaking so I bought a spare. Never had to take it out of the box.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A friend of mine that doesn't play ASL but a whole host of monster wargames with usually 1500+ counters per game, sits in front of the television and clips counters all night for nights on end, drives his missus crazy. It got real bad when he asked his wife to take over while he went for a shower/coffee break!
Might have been the one that wrote this review at Amazon :D:D:D:

5.0 out of 5 starsNo more annoying nail clipper marathons
Byamnagelon February 21, 2016
Verified Purchase
My husband is a board game war gamer. I can't tell you how many nights I had to listen to the incessant clipping of game piece corners with a nail clipper, and the inevitable cursing when one side got clipped too much. This punch is quiet and accurate and has saved our marriage.

That review sounded somewhat scary...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have clipped thousands of counters with the deluxe 2 mm and have had no problems at all. It beats any other clipping tool and I have tried them all. I will tell you the secret of it not breaking. I too was freaked out by earlier stories of them breaking so I bought a spare. Never had to take it out of the box.
I tell you what:

Seems that you are located in the UK. How about if I buy your spare 2mm one from you?

If there were issues and you have not encountered them, maybe you have one from a good batch. Name the price, I'll pay you in advance including shipping, so you free up some funds. I on the other hand do not have to bother with customs which requires a 1 hour drive to pick it up at the next customs office.

Could be a win-win. If you are interested, please feel free to drop me a PM.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking at Amazon's reviews (47 overall as per my above link), 19 are critical and of these 13 report of breakage. Of the 'criticals' one is from 2015, two from 2017 (both reporting breakage) and the rest of 2016.

Given that most people tend to give their reviews pretty soon after purchase at Amazon (i.e. when things are still ok), then 28% of all reviews reporting breakage (i.e. complete failure) seems quite remarkable.

Now here the feedback so far is rather positive.

Somewhat of a quandary...

von Marwitz
There was a bad batch last year which is the result of those Amazon reviews. The manufacturer pulled all product from Amazon and replaced them. You can also order from Oregon Laminations directly and be assured that you won't get a defective one if some are still out there. I bought mine from Amazon originally and it had an alignment/machining issue. Oregon Laminations had me send it back to them and they replaced it. Deal direct. But I think as long as you don't get one from the bad batch you'll be fine.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was a bad batch last year which is the result of those Amazon reviews. The manufacturer pulled all product from Amazon and replaced them. You can also order from Oregon Laminations directly and be assured that you won't get a defective one if some are still out there. I bought mine from Amazon originally and it had an alignment/machining issue. Oregon Laminations had me send it back to them and they replaced it. Deal direct. But I think as long as you don't get one from the bad batch you'll be fine.
I bought mine directly from Oregon Laminations as well.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
But the edges of the laser-cut counters tend to become a bit brown and the counters could have somewhat of a burned smell to them.
"Do you smell that? Do you smell that? That's napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that. The whole hill smells like victory."

JR

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have used the Oregon for a couple years now, likely several thousand counters and it still going strong. Uniformly rounds the corners very efficiently.
Same here. No problems whatsoever. Bought mine from France, hexasim.com

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Maybe adjust the pressure at which you subject the counters to. I've heard of others devices breaking...this "might" be the case.

AS I have a 2.5mm and 3.0mm of the non-deluxe variety...I have yet to have a problem other than just lubricating the device with silicon every now and again...

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
I tell you what:

Seems that you are located in the UK. How about if I buy your spare 2mm one from you?

If there were issues and you have not encountered them, maybe you have one from a good batch. Name the price, I'll pay you in advance including shipping, so you free up some funds. I on the other hand do not have to bother with customs which requires a 1 hour drive to pick it up at the next customs office.

Could be a win-win. If you are interested, please feel free to drop me a PM.

von Marwitz
Hi von M

Thanks for the offer but I still have a ton of counters to clip for games I have not yet played and the new WiF due out soon so I'm going to hang onto them both. Besides, I just know if I sold one, the other will break! Someone above said they are available from Hexasim but I just searched on their site and got nothing. Despite the customs and the drive, I would strongly recommend you get one from Oregon direct. They are a great long term investment - well, if you get two, it will be long term........

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi von M

Thanks for the offer but I still have a ton of counters to clip for games I have not yet played and the new WiF due out soon so I'm going to hang onto them both. Besides, I just know if I sold one, the other will break! Someone above said they are available from Hexasim but I just searched on their site and got nothing. Despite the customs and the drive, I would strongly recommend you get one from Oregon direct. They are a great long term investment - well, if you get two, it will be long term........
No worries. Thanks for getting back, though.

von Marwitz

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have both 2mm and 2.5. Done entire set including BFP stuff. Awesome. Much prefer 2.5.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have the 2mm and 3mm cutters and have cut well over 250,000 counters so far with them. Still cutting ok now.

Last edited:

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok, that does it. I reckon I will give it a try.

von Marwitz
try on some of your retired counters first. As if you start on the good ones , once you start you have to finish........ that was my first mistake!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
try on some of your retired counters first. As if you start on the good ones , once you start you have to finish........ that was my first mistake!
Certainly good advice. Luckily, I don't have as many counters as you have. And I can ignore nationalities seldom used in FtF play if I cannot bear it...

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
To quote Nancy Reagan "Just say No!".