Your chosen method for making ISK

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Money is hard to come by in EVE and there is always someone waiting to take it away from you if you let them.

How are you making money in EVE? Is it very profitable where you are?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right now, I'm mining in medium sec space to make up for some lost revenue from a anti-pirate mission that went bad...real bad. :) Once I break 2 mil, I am going to buy a new frigate and go looking for trouble again. :D

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think right now that I am going to do missions from some agents till I know my way around.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's a reasonably safe way to make money as a newb. Just be careful...the missions can suddenly get more difficult without much warning.

I made an easy 100K last night when I found some fiery kernite (sp?) that I mined the heck out of. I could have made a lot more but it was getting too late for me.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
One word... salvaging. I usually earn about 2-3 times more from salvaging than I do from the missions which produce the wrecks!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That's a reasonably safe way to make money as a newb. Just be careful...the missions can suddenly get more difficult without much warning.
Most people who run a lot of missions consult a mission guide prior to starting the mission. There are a couple of missions that can be confusing as to what you need to do. There are a few others that are virtual suicide if you linger around for too long, as a huge enemy fleet jumps in and you will have no chance at all.

I use this one: http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find those mission guides take a lot of the fun out of the game. I rather have some unexpected adventures - and misadventures - than know what to expect in every mission ahead of time.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I find those mission guides take a lot of the fun out of the game. I rather have some unexpected adventures - and misadventures - than know what to expect in every mission ahead of time.
Yeah, it's fun and exciting when you lose a frigate and some small weapons. Wait till you lose a 150M battleship loaded with 50M worth of rigs and another 80M worth of equipment. Then it's not so fun.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the link, I will be at least giving it a look through.

I want to get a battleship and name it the Yamato!!

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Until I suspended my accounts, I had dabbled in tech 2 invention, ran lots of missions, and mostly mined various combat missions for Omber+Kernite. Belt mining was primarily for resources to manufacture stuff. Sometimes the stuff was for sale, sometimes personal or corp use.

Tech 2 invention was too much micro-management with the various jobs and bits and pieces for the actual assembly (if you got a success). In the long run the profit wasn't worth the hassle (opportunity cost).

Mission running was fun when I could get a fleet together, but it is very repetitive. There are 20 or so level 4 missions handed out by my regular agent. (Probably less than 20). After enough times, I didn't even need to check the mission guides, just swap out shield hardeners and ammo+drones for the right damage type and go to town.

Manufacturing for profit was a lot of work as well, checking prices and managing orders got to be too much micromanagement for me in that arena as well.

A friend of mine did what he calls "market mining" where he looked for goods for sale, or posted buy orders for stuff that reprocesses into a few high end minerals. Resell or use the high ends as needed. That seemed like too much detail work that I didn't even start it as a money making path.

Merf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought it was hard to make money until I got into a mining barge. Now it seems the biggest drag is waiting for skill training...

Reaction score
I started with high sec mining, and after a couple of weeks I could make about a million isk in 40 minutes with an Osprey and a Badger II.

Lately, I started running some missions since my refining was waste free, but I wanted to reduce the "house cut" on my refining. I have to agree with Reepicheep, the salvaging is where the mission money is. Just train Trade up a few levels, so you can set the price and wait for a buyer.

So, another quick path might be, get a destroyer, mount some salvagers and tractor beams and buddy up with a fast mission guy to salvage his wrecks for him.

A lot of people like to run missions fast, but don't have the patience for salvaging. Besides, it's more efficient, not to have to go switch ships and warp back.

Just be careful to know the guy first or be in his corp.

I'm planning to work in manufacturing and trade, but you need to buy a lot of training books first to be effective.

The missions are surprisingly repetitive. Mining is less predictable with rat spawns and the odd ore thief (who really doesn't want the ore).