Your ASL Moment of This Coming Year (2017)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not much movement on that front yet, but there's some well entrenched ideas that may come to fruition. Again, nothing above ground yet!
Taking the well entrenched ideas literally, you can make 'em dig foxholes, clear paths through Jungle (if present), maybe come up with some SSRs for the construction of Trenches and other fortifications. Let them build castles to keep 'em busy.

von Marwitz

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The crowning moment of this coming year will be the publication of my "Phoney War" Inaction Pack. Both players will simply set up their opposing forces and stare at each other for an indertiminate amount of time. There have been some difficulties as intrest in the project seems to be haphazzard and somewhat indifferent.
Hopefully a campaign game will be included. This should be a very easy project to playtest.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
We're going to need rules for air support (leaflet bombing). Think of the confusion if you make a mistaken leaflet attack on your own troops!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We're going to need rules for air support (leaflet bombing). Think of the confusion if you make a mistaken leaflet attack on your own troops!
Yeah. Complete with a leaflet persuasiveness chart that might cause Surrender.

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
make sure you shout ham and jam when you land safely :D
I think Sam will hand my arse on a plate to me in this one. Got a feeling. He owes me one after I spanked him in two scenarios last year (first times I'd beat him ever in fact).

Great player....and a smiling assassin !

I have to prep this one and plan properly, and present my A game to stand a chance. This guy's quality, not the usual tripe I play against like your Burtons, your Willeys, your Staniforths and the like whom I usually turn up half pissed and casually seal bash :) :) :)

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had my ASL moment of 2017 yesterday playing FtF at our local Saturday game day. We were playing BFP113 Bunker Bash and I was the defending Poles. The Germans win if they control or eliminate the majority of buildings and pillboxes in the Polish setup area. The Poles win immediately if they eliminate, immobilize, recall all four of the German halftracks. After eliminating three of them with across the board diagonal shots from the 75 ART Guns emplaced in Pillboxes, the last German halftrack had taken up a position directly behind one of my pillboxes where I had no LOS to him from anywhere on the board. He had a MALFd MA, so he was just sitting there wasting time while his infantry took building locations from my dwindling forces. I tried to move a 4-5-7 with an HMG into a building that had LOS but was broken in the street and had to drop the HMG and rout. My hopes were dwindling. After taking a shot with the 75 near the ht in prep, I advanced the Gun's crew out of the pillbox and into a building, hoping that in my next MPh I could assault move into the HMG location, survive and get a few shots at his AFV. In the German's next MPh, figuring what I was trying to accomplish, he run a HS from the trees into N5 adjacent to my crew. I nail him with a 3 and eliminate him, leaving 2 resid in the hex. He then runs another HS at me with a FT from the same spot into the woods at O6. I nail him with a 3 in SFF with PBF eliminating him too, leaving 1 resid and the FT in the hex. He then waltzes a 4-4-7 adjacent to me daring me to FPF. I hold my fire, knowing that he is going to advance in for CC and there's nothing I can do about it.

He advances in to my hex and we roll for ambush. I ambush him and withdraw to O6. I pick up the FT in the RPh and roast the last halftrack adjacent to me to immediately end the game. Great scenario by the way, highly recommend it.

And as an interesting side note, I won this scenario without rallying a single unit. I believe I ended the game with 8-9 broken squads, all three leaders broken (two of them wounded to 6 morale) and 2 squads having been eliminated for FTR. I never rallied one unit the entire game which lasted just into the PFPh of the defender half of turn 6.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Good job!
I've never managed to recover an enemy FT.
Where they get dropped always seems to become a cosmic bullet magnet for the rest of the game.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Ticked off a bucket list item this week. During a match of G40, my Poles applied some DFF to a German HS marching a HS of prisoners. The guards broke, the prisoners didn't. After allowing themselves to be dragged into some trees they passed their CC TC and rolled DR5 on a 1:2 -2 attack. PRESTO! Ladies and Gentlemen: The green Allied Minor Half Squad trick!

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My ASL moment will be when I learn to play vehicles. (I've gotten past infantry-only scenarios by adding some guns, but vehicles still seem a long way off.)
I think you will find that the vehicles aren't as hard to learn as some would have you believe. Start out with a 'vehicle only ' scenario such as Puma Prowls or Blazing Chariots. If you don't have desert boards or British counters, try playing 'Chariots ' on VASL.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My ASL moment will be when I learn to play vehicles. (I've gotten past infantry-only scenarios by adding some guns, but vehicles still seem a long way off.)
If you can, pick up the "Out of The Attic 2" pack from MMP. A couple of great Vehicle articles in there (Ole Boe's is the #1 all-time article about vehicles in my estimation). Also, if you have a chance get to read Carl Nogueira's "Crosstown Traffic" in Journal 8. This is an excellent article about Vehicle Overruns, one of the most difficult set of rules to really understand (My #2 article of all-time with regards to vehicles). There are other great articles out there as well, but these two will certainly stand you in good stead.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you can, pick up the "Out of The Attic 2" pack from MMP. <SNIP> Carl Nogueira's "Crosstown Traffic" in Journal 8.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've got both the periodicals that you mentioned, so will try to give these a read. So far, I've not even tried to read articles on vehicles, as I am still a bit overwhelmed at times without adding any more complexity. I've got a great pair of people helping me learn the game, though, so things are coming around (just don't get to play nearly as often as I would like).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You may wish to search for video tutorials instead of reading. It's much easier to watch the counters being moved around than to try to understand the rules. The best way is to play someone, either in person or via vasl. Reading the rules is much easier when you have a feel for the counters moving than trying to imagine the counters moving while reading.

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best way is to play someone, either in person or via vasl.
JR
Oh, I'm already imposing on ASLers near me by getting help with learning to play (and I agree completely that it's much more beneficial than just reading the rules). These guys are just bringing me along in somewhat manageable "bite sized" chunks. In a little over a week I'll be playing someone who will have some vehicles and I'll have some Panzerfausts and AA guns ("Wise's War" scenario), so the complexity is definitely increasing. Another month or so, and then maybe I'll tackle a scenario where I have a vehicle or two.

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just ticked something off my ASL bucket list last night. Captured an enemy afv. It was an abandoned universal carrier, but still...

Servius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My ASL moment will be when we finish playing through the Starter Kit scenarios and get Beyond Valor and the rule book and start playing full ASL.

BTW, is that the correct term; 'Full ASL'?