Your ASL Moment of the Year

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Loved Brian Youse's post yesterday on Consimworld:
My favorite White Tigers moment ever. Pretty sure it was White Tigers...

I had a Japanese leader (10-1 I think?) and squad declare banzai towards a building I needed, down a street about 4 hexes on the last Mph. Two 6-4-8s w/LMG fire in first hex, lay down LMG firelanes. The squad dies, but the leader survives, next hex, survives, next hex, survives, next hex, survives, SFF 12(-2), survives. Moves into hex, TPBF 16(+1) survives. CCPh, I roll a snake eyes, 1-12 odds, HTH as the Japanese. Yup, killed two squads, lived to tell about it.

Back then, I'm pretty sure we said I won the game, now a days we all know SMC can't control a building hex. I think.
This is why we play ASL.

So. What was YOUR ASL Moment of the Year?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I don't have anything to rival with the Banzai charge into hell. I think the weirdest I had in one of my games, was when playing a smallish scenario (Bidermann's Escape from one of the Friendly Fire packs; 5 1/2 turns, 15 squads total). My opponent generated 3 Heroes during this one; at some point I fired on a stack containing a MMC and Hero, killed the Hero, and the MMC created another one through HoB.

(All these Snake Eyes on MCs didn't prevent my opponent from complaining about his bad luck with dice - to be fair, he did roll badly on most important DRs)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was playing Randy Shurtz in RBCGIII when he entered on a Pz III to try and cut off some Russian brokies, the only thing standing in his way was a lone 9-0 commissar in the street. The Pz III gets adjacent to my commissar and in desperation the commissar rolls for a MOL, gets a 1, so now I need a four or less to kill his tank and roll a three. I got very lucky at that moment in time.

Scott

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Playing Ragnarok at ASLOK with Chris Farrell. I was the Swedes. I need 3 units exited. First halftrack buttons up and runs through as fast as it can go, it exits. One squad does a run up the left side of the map and gets through with only a passed pin check behind him.
By this point, Chris has the wall of Russians up and everyone trying to get through is stifled or gunned down in the street. The last turn arrives and I have one good squad, a good leader and a hero still able to move. The squad runs to try and smoke the key Russian MG. They break in the road. The leader makes a break for the exit and gets pinned before he gets through 2 hexes, but accomplishes his mission - he's soaked up fire that the hero can now avoid. So the hero - 8 mf from the edge - goes cx and runs for it. He passes 2 MCs and a PTC and then he's clear - he makes it all the way to the edge when Chris pulls out a long range 2+1 shot and gets an MC result. My hero fails, right on the edge of the board. But the wound isn't fatal and he crawls off the board in the advance phase for the win.

Of course, next imaginary turn the Russians catch up to him and shoot him on the spot when he tries to surrender, but who ever said Berlin was fun?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
printing out my Iwo map for the first time....from a digital copy of my hand drawn one.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Festung Budapest CG3, 7FEB1945 (day 6); as the Hungarian/German player I generated six (6) Heroes; alas, I failed to accomplish anything more than providing my opponent with juicy targets which he blew away!
Maybe one fine day I will learn how to use a Hero properly...

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing AP108 - Yes Sir versus Rich Spilky in the St. Louis Tourney. Neither of us had lost a game and it was the final Sunday round 5.

I bid and got the Germans, giving up the ability to HIP one of the two allowed Squads. My bid raised some eyebrows, but I had played once as the Amis, took the 13 squad option A and barely won thanks to a last turn CC roll.

Rich selected Option B, which lowered the AMI squad total to 8, but gave them three shermans. He made a good choice.

So he enters on turn one, my MMG in one of the front building immediately malfs, he skips through my left LMG firelane, losing a HS.

After searching the forward Orchards with halfsquads, a sherman bravely motors down the road, right over my one HIP 238, he announces Overrun, I get a PF and gack the shot, breaking to the Overrun. The other two shermans park on each side, six hexes from my now malf'd MMG and also my 20L gun, Hipped in the stone building to the left of the malf'd MMG.

The turn could not have gone worse had Rich scripted it. I figured, the shermans would smoke the front buildings, his infantry would make a run for them, later the shermans would enter the VC village to cut off routs and I could be on the road home early.

So my 20L tried a DI shot in my Prep turn one - 3,2 one DI'd sherman with rate. Next DI shot - 3,3 second large target sherman DI'd.
His turn two, the German MMG repairs, he smokes the MMG, sherman tries smoke and start, no smoke, my 20L DI shot - 2,1 to finish the trifecta.

The shermans could still smoke and shoot into the town, but I had the edge and never yielded it, one great 20L.

Rich

Last edited:

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
last interesting one of the year..

Playing Bedburg vs Vic Rosso... Turn 3.. I attack with Brits and I´m trying to press with infantry because rolled 11 with my FT vehicle in first roll on first Movement Phase.

I decided to send my heroic RAM with HS to freeze his main defensive point in the farthest stone building.. He has 9-1, MMC with MMg and HS with PSK. He decides to fire at the approaching vehicle at one hex to avoid posible in-hex smoke eating the blast.. Hit the RAM but K/1 result kills the leader and pins the HS. Effect vs RAM is a DUD... he finally get the vehicle stunned and passenger breaks bypassing the stone building with Mg fire.. My inf group moves adjacent with 9-1, squad with MMg and hero and adv fire vs hex with a low DR. His squad breaks and the HS goes berserk. His berserk ambush my units in CC -stunned vehicle doesn't help at all- but no effect and I finally kill the berserk taking the 3rd stone building this turn.. His defense is broken and game moves clearly to my side.. next KIA on his moving only-leader-left with this same group decides VC definitively to my side..

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I successfully covered a broken 9-2 leader withdrawing from CC. Or should I say my unfortunate opponent gacked his DR...?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
My Intensive Fire 2016 semi final match up against my good ASL-Friend Gerard Burton.

All I needed to do was put my three Churchill's into a safe place from his one Jagdpanzer with his final turn ahead to win. He was one side of a huge village, I was the other....I ummed, ahhed, then proceeded to place one of the Churchill's in a spot where there was a clear LOS right through the centre of the town. It was so obvious. Unforgivable mistake. I'd snatch defeat from the jaws of a straight forward victory.

He fired in Def Fire....missed, BUT GOT ROF. Fired again HIT. GAME OVER....DUD

Oh well...two acquisitions, he'd get me in his Prep Fire for sure...

Fired. Missed. BUT GOT ROF AGAIN. Fire again. Missed. Intensive Fired....HIT.....GAME OVER....DUD

Easy win for Mayers :eek:

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got nuthin'.
(Although, playtesting a scenario for the upcoming Chapter E scenario pack
with Dr.Dave was pretty fun.)

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Met a new ASL-mate in my hometown and proceeded to play a full campaign and several classic scenarios since august, as well as taking the leap into full ASL. The whole year has been one large ASL moment for me, and it will be hard to beat in 2017. I plan on going to a tournament, though, I'm sure I will have a great time!

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a playtest, got the second improbable critical hit have ever had after getting rate and pivoting a Russian 82mm mortar, followed by a six for effects at a wood building: random selection killed a 468, 10-2, destroyed a MMG, broke a 468 with HMG.

I felt as bad for my opponent as I felt thrilled getting it.

Ended the game.

First one was about 20 years ago - a crew from mine immobiled Kangaroo captured an 88LL PAK43 in a hex with a burning wreck in a rain scenario missed of course on a CA change, but on the subsequent intensive fire shot killed and burned an approaching Mk.IVH with the ICH.

That one ended the game too.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
CHs only affect a unit selected by RS.. All others receive the normal IFP attack.. It looks too many targets affected in this CH.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Met a new ASL-mate in my hometown and proceeded to play a full campaign and several classic scenarios since august, as well as taking the leap into full ASL. The whole year has been one large ASL moment for me, and it will be hard to beat in 2017. I plan on going to a tournament, though, I'm sure I will have a great time!
Welcome aboard! I guarantee you will meet some cool people whatever tournament you go to. I have friends all over the US and the world because of ASL tournaments. You will meet some very smart sportsmen from all walks of life. It would be hard not to make a friend of two. Enjoy the incredible challenge!