Your all time top 10 scenarios

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to see you picked Batty-P as I have been salivating over playing that for some time now-just looks cool:cool:-have to get one of my buddies to buy off on it, this may help! :thumbsup:Got to agree with North Bank as well (though I'm not too sure how "balanced" it is-per ROAR) but it is a blast to play! Good List!
one puzzling challenge to Batty- P is how to employ the OP tank before it gets blown away by a 75L gun tube from a StuG III on the heights. ;)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Good Balanced scenario (ROAR 16-11 - no war dog here) with italians in it - hard enough to accomplish in ASL, infantry and AFVs, an Italian flame throwing AFV - not something seen often in ASL scenarios of any sort, tin cans vs MGs and Street Fighting - it is a solid, well thought out and fun to play and replay design. No two attacks are ever going to play out the same way, and there are so many variations possible with the tools given to the Italians to do so.
I do not remember any FT in that (at least in the version I played -AP 72-). I remember an hard initial situation for Italian tankettes that must setup directly under enemy MG fire in three predesignated hexes. Something not anymore acceptable according the modern scenario design standards.

I agree the scenario has no trite VCs that make it interesting (expecially at that time), but - given the bonuses assigned via SSR to the Italian/Republican player - I would play the attacker all days.
I played it just once in 2005 (just checked ROAR) so may be memory fails.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Good Balanced scenario (ROAR 16-11 - no war dog here) with italians in it - hard enough to accomplish in ASL, infantry and AFVs, an Italian flame throwing AFV - not something seen often in ASL scenarios of any sort, tin cans vs MGs and Street Fighting - it is a solid, well thought out and fun to play and replay design. No two attacks are ever going to play out the same way, and there are so many variations possible with the tools given to the Italians to do so.
No FT, AFV or otherwise, in Italian Brothers.

The version in doomed battalions is the third publication. It was also in the 1995 Annual and originally published in At The Point magazine. There are a lot more playings than the 27 for doomed battalions.

JR

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
By no means personally definitive, just a quick hodgepodge of some of the scenarios I have enjoyed the most, especially in the last few years...

DB130 Tigers And Flames
LSSAH 21 The Brickyard
BtB8 Steel Inferno
BFP 32 Slaughter At NanYaun
FT55 Finnish Blitzkrieg
(still my favorite Finnish scenario)
FT106 Counterattack Along The Danube (Holst at his finest)
FT170 The Road To Juniville (a modern day classic, IMO)
RBF 24 Meeting Again
RBF 43 Blood Factory
(great use of the RB map)
DB002 Sochaczew (the first DftB scenario I ever played, and still my personal favorite)

Honorable Mention: EVERY scenario I've played from Armies Of Oblivion (have played all but two, IIRC), a real tour de force from Martuzas.

Classic Status: ASL75 Strangers In A Strange Land (small and simple with a few smidges of chrome, I just really enjoy it)

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My representative top 10. I'm sure I'm missing something...
Steve

CH5 Acts of Defiance (German balance)
TOT32 Denouement
WCW7 Eye of the Tiger
66 The Bushmasters (American balance)
J19 Merzenhauzen Zoo

The above I have played, but I guess I have a good start to my "must play in 2018" list:

42 Point on No Return (disallow unarmored vehicle sleaze where they lead the attack to generate dust)
ESG3 Resistance at Paderborn
FrF69 To Ashes
ToT42 Thunderbolts (American balance)
CH18 Raging Furnace

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
one puzzling challenge to Batty- P is how to employ the OP tank before it gets blown away by a 75L gun tube from a StuG III on the heights. ;)
Amen. Exactly what happened to me and my OP tank. Don't know where to put that guy so he can see the village and bring the thunder, without him getting sniped form overwatch.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amen. Exactly what happened to me and my OP tank. Don't know where to put that guy so he can see the village and bring the thunder, without him getting sniped form overwatch.
standard policy seems to indicate using the ATGs to cover one side of the hill, use the 51 mtr to smoke the LOS to that side from the other side of the hill, and then sneak the OP tank in using bypass around the trees on that side with the blocked or smoke LOSs from the other side of the hill to get the OP tank into a position to call in some thunder. ( building and tree blind hexes). Still, its a challenge. Esp as the AC is even a threat, and it can be passed off for a mid game flanking move to stymie such a maneuver.

KRL, jon H

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
standard policy seems to indicate using the ATGs to cover one side of the hill, use the 51 mtr to smoke the LOS to that side from the other side of the hill, and then sneak the OP tank in using bypass around the trees on that side with the blocked or smoke LOSs from the other side of the hill to get the OP tank into a position to call in some thunder. ( building and tree blind hexes). Still, its a challenge. Esp as the AC is even a threat, and it can be passed off for a mid game flanking move to stymie such a maneuver.

KRL, jon H
I have used the OP tank as an ordinary tank for its MG, the best use possible I figured, since it was too hard and luck-dependent hope to catch even a single useful fire mission, given the circumstances.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What kind of OP vehicle is it? The British Sherman's observer can abandon the vehicle and take a radio with him.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What kind of OP vehicle is it? The British Sherman's observer can abandon the vehicle and take a radio with him.
It's a Stuart III(a) given OP Tank status with no functional MA per SSR. so it has for weapons, only BMG 2, CMG 4 AAMG 2. As its OP status is only via SSR, it cannot be treated as the Sherman OP tank Cptr H notes indicate.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have used the OP tank as an ordinary tank for its MG, the best use possible I figured, since it was too hard and luck-dependent hope to catch even a single useful fire mission, given the circumstances.
The only problem with using this thing at all in any non "vehicular skulking" (for lack of a better descriptive term) - manner, is that it does not take much for any one of the 4-5 overwatch Tank / StuG III Guns to flatten the thing with little effort, upon its expenditure of >=4 MPs in LOS, or in any DFPh /PFPh combination, at best ( it often dies in its first MPh if used conventionally).

As noted , even the 20L MA on the AC is a threat to a 4/3 AF AFV., and any of the German AFVs have the capability of entering in mid-game as a flanking attack, allowing additional possibilities of a quick kill of the OP Tank.
It is but one of three major challenges I see in this scenario , and one which offers it some top rate study for me as a prime "will play it again and again" design.

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
it's scenario AP 74 from Fort's AP pack - well done, perhaps needs a bit of balance tweaking, remains to be seen.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, alright. I can't guarantee these are my all-time faves, but they stick out in memory and I would happily play any of them again anytime as either side.

No particular order:

J121 Schloss Hemingstein - Terrain and situation is challenging and interesting for both sides. Also happened to introduce me to one of my all-time favorite opponents.
If I had to choose my favorite 'child', this one would likely be the pick. A few nice toys for both sides, and both must play a maneuver game well. Also seems very balanced. -- And in a small package, so as to not overwhelm players with TOO MANY choices.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
OP tanks are very rarely represented in scenarios.
Perhaps is the scale of an ASL scenario too small to use them efficiently?
How were they used in real life?
At close range of enemy AT assets?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
If I had to choose my favorite 'child', this one would likely be the pick. A few nice toys for both sides, and both must play a maneuver game well. Also seems very balanced. -- And in a small package, so as to not overwhelm players with TOO MANY choices.
No foolin. I had no idea. Well, I knew it wasn’t Urban Guerillas. :)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gotta go back and look at all the scenarios again but I can start my list with these 5 choices

Acts of Defiance: Pete Mudge's masterpiece

Shootout at Singling: McGrath/Chaney classic

To Ashes: Layers of mind games

Mook Point: I dunno I just like it

Eye of the Tiger: Holst's best, most played scenario.

I like scenarios with many available strategic options for both sides allowing the 'gaming personalities' of the players to be expressed.

Last edited: