You Know? I don't Know...Variable Rates of Fire

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Unread Today, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Yes, it has more to do with "mental state" as well as conditions, but I think there might be some randomness in it. Honestly, I'm not sure yet as we haven't tested for it specifically. And how Charles implemented it I don't know. My feature request was unusually vague. I asked him to do something like "make the RoF more realistic to include situations where gunners would bleed off far more rounds than training and conditions say they should". So how he implemented it is a mystery to me too at the moment. I just know he marked this one as "done"

Now that I have my curiosity up, I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Steve

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That change looks good to me.

Long way from declaring the original HMGs in CMx2 fine.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I think he is just talking about mixing things up. An example would be some short bursts from a SMG mixed with a longer burst. But, I am a bit befuddled of his giving some insight into the design process, and the announcement of this tweak (feature?). It really shows Steve's input and even his attitude about the game design process and testing. Not to mention Quality Control. Eh, I guess it is not news. Just confirmation is all.

In any case, I was hoping that things like water cooled, tank mounted or quick change barrel machine-guns would have more realistic longer bursts. That is, if they had the ammo to do so. Many SOPs for tank MG call for 50 round bursts and combat footage shows even longer bursts. I am pretty sure I have never had a AFV run out of MG ammo.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I see MikeyD and others are using lower level math to compute the PPSh-41 rates of fire. Also, how the game models them burning up ammo, etc. They are doing this to prove some tank rider limitations as well as SMG troop issues, etc. basically calling them one-trick ponies once they shoot their wad.

Ugh, it was selective fire weapon. Full Auto and Semi. It was used as such, and on semi, it gave reasonable short range accuracy and a large reserve of magazine capacity. Tank Riders, and most troops, also used enemy weapons but that is not modeled in the game. I am pretty sure they used trucks behind the tanks just like everyone else. It's amazing how these inbred CM 'facts' pop up from these amazing minds at the core of the game. Tank Riders often fought without the tanks!

[video=youtube;Sg2wShSyQ-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg2wShSyQ-M[/video]

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
SMG and CM games just don't mix.
How does the game handle a weapon like the MP44? It has both semi and full-auto capabilities. I would think it was used semi most of the time.

If I had a PPSh-41 and just two loaded drums, I would use the first one liberally and the second one conservatively. I am pretty sure anyone that could get 'extra' ammo would reload a spent drum and I would be surprised if there was not a drill for this. That is "Cover me while I reload". I always thought the game should model reloading mags. The concept of unit ammo levels is silly in a precise way. But that road just brings the game down to individual combatants.

The PPSh-41 had pretty good velocity on it's pistol round. I would love to plink some targets at 50 and 100 meters just to see it's capabilities.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
It has pretty good ballistics for a pistol round.
Though I'm going by the Tokarev TT-33.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How does the game handle a weapon like the MP44? It has both semi and full-auto capabilities. I would think it was used semi most of the time.
BFC just puts all values halfway between SMG and rifle.