You got the COVID-19 vaccine, so now what?

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those of you who have received your second shot of the Covid-19 vaccine, now what? Are you going to return to face to face gaming?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
For those of you who have received your second shot of the Covid-19 vaccine, now what? Are you going to return to face to face gaming?
Yes. My second vaccine is pretty much my 'return to normality' position. June. Just before Double One over here. Looking forward to it.

My biggest fear throughout this pandemic hasn't been me catching it. It's been me catching it and transferring it to other people. My best friend's wife caught Covid. They inadvertently transferred it to his mum who subsequently died of it. He can't put into words how that has made him feel. He's basically (accidentally) killed his own mum. It's very sad.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Depends on your opponent. You might still carry the virus and could pass it on to anyone near you who is not vaccinated. Until the majority of the population has been vaccinated and we have a certain safe level of 'herd immunity' it may best to exercise some caution.

You might be the cause of a serious illness or death to someone,.. or someone they know. Thankfully the odds of that happening are dwindling each day.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes. My second vaccine is pretty much my 'return to normality' position. June. Just before Double One over here. Looking forward to it.

My biggest fear throughout this pandemic hasn't been me catching it. It's been me catching it and transferring it to other people. My best friend's wife caught Covid. They inadvertently transferred it to his mum who subsequently died of it. He can't put into words how that has made him feel. He's basically (accidentally) killed his own mum. It's very sad.

Such tragic cases are the reason why the situation is absolutely not to be trifled with. One might suffer massive grief or cause it which one may regret but will be unable to undo.

The virus is happily mutating. New dangerous variants have emerged and will emerge. Just note in this contect that the "British" and the "Brazilian" mutations have only emerged for the first time around December 2020. Now, the "British" variant is dominant throughout Europe - after less than 4 months. The "Brazilian" variant has reached Europe. So we have a pretty good idea what will happen in the next couple of weeks. At the same time, a new mutation could be 'born' today which might dominate everything by summer. It would be a comparable time frame compared to the "British" and "Brazilian" variants.

Although Manaus, the city in which the "Brazilian" mutation first emerged should have had herd-immunity at the time vs. the original virus, it did not against the mutation. At least for the "Brazilian" mutation there is a suspicion that at least some types of vaccination are less effective than vs. the original virus. The same might be true for new mutations which could be 'born' today.

The simple truth is, we don't know. Another truth is that currently no country has an infrastructure or sufficient vaccines to vaccinate its entire population within a month or two - or in other words within a timeframe in which a new mutation has been observed to emerge from non-existent to dominant.

My consequence is this:
I will not play face to face in a tournament unless everyone present has provided proof to the TD of having received a 1st and 2nd vaccination and has made a quick test at the start of the event (the latter being able to be done within 15 minutes at the cost of 5 Euros by oneself).

von Marwitz

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should be "fully" covered by the end of April. (second shot 4/14). I don't do much FtF anymore other than my brother but I might try to make ASLOK this year and if I do and it's live I will bring my mask and wear it when asked for sure or maybe just wear it out of an abundance of caution. We really don't know if vaccinated people can carry and transmit. In an environment like Evan said where we KNOW everyone is vaccinated I would still bring my mask but likely not wear it unless asked.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I did get the vaccine last month and we here in western Mass hope to open the club locations in late Spring or early Summer if the vaccination program here continues at the same pace. I do hope to attend the Albany ASL tourney in December, things should be better by then, Vic.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In France, the current plan is to have people in my age group (50-60) to be able to get their first shot starting mid-may. So, I'm still waiting, and not planning to do much in the way of ASL play except through VASL in the near future (but then, I don't go to tournaments anyway).

Blofeld

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Getting my second shot in early June. So in mid June I can play f2f inside.
If weather permitts, I'm already playing f2f outside. :)

IMG-20210330-WA0003.jpg

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Interesting question. In the Colorado ASL group FRASL, there are folks pushing for an early return to general F-t-F tournament play....and a number of them do not intend to get vaccinated. There are vaccinated opponents who are making private plans for a return to FtF play.

So far they have not been able to gain critical mass of FRASL wanting to push the transition. All very respectful on both sides of the conversation.

Stay tuned.....

Last edited:

haggis

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have had the first vaccination, but do not intend to go to any tournaments this year ( financial rather than Covid)
I hopefully will have a few FtF games though with others who are vaccinated in the near future.
For the people not wanting to have a vaccine, that is of course their prerogative and right, there are many reasons for some-one not wishing to have a vaccination.
I for one will not disparage anyone for exercising their rights.
I do think (my opinion only) that even by being vaccinated, some-one can still acquire and pass on the virus to some-one else.

Just my thoughts.

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am getting my 2nd shot in late April, so by mid May I should be at Max resistance.
With that said, I am fully cognizant of the variant and the threat it imposes. Where I return to F2F or not (My regular opponent moved so my regular game are all VASL anyway, so this would mean going to tourneys) will probably be depending on current climate [Thinking about Texas Team Tournament in late June]...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Getting my second Pfizer shot wednesday.
So I will be at the best protection at the end of the month.
It seems thar RNA messenger vaccinated people are 90% less contageous too.
I don't have the opportunity to attend a tournament but if I had, as long as everybody follows the scientists recommendations, I would participate.
I am not afraid of dying.
But I would hate making someone else sick.
Wearing a mask and washing my hands is not about me (even though with diabetes and being very high cardiac risk, catching the virus could make me develop a pulmonary embolism, a serious step towards meeting my Maker) but about my neighbour first.
So no excessive fear, but useful wariness.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Well, I still wait for my age group to be vaccinated (and it looks like it won't be anytime soon, but I don't want to get all political). After I'll receive my shots, I guess it won't change much, though - vaccines help your organism to increase their immunology, but:

1. They don't make you 100% virus-proof, they "just" lower significantly the risk of infection and help you go through the disease more or less safely, if you're infected. And while this might be okay with many folks, there's also the case that:

2. Even when vaccinated, you still can be a carrier. So while you're relatively safe, your surroundings are not.

We will have to wait for return to normality another year or two, I guess. Certainly not before the vaccination of majority of the population (or them gaining herd immunity).

Last edited: