Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And the walled compound design has applications even beyond the desert -- it was a common feature of a lot of towns in the Chinese interior that were sites of various warlord battles. (See example from Qinghai province below.)
Welllll, I'd say that place in the picture is not playable in ASL terms. When the urban density goes up, the system starts to creak and groan. If there really was fighting in that place, did they really go house-to-house? Or did they concentrate their forces in larger open areas? I'd guess the latter, but I'm admittedly ignorant of much of Chinese history.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welllll, I'd say that place in the picture is not playable in ASL terms. When the urban density goes up, the system starts to creak and groan. If there really was fighting in that place, did they really go house-to-house? Or did they concentrate their forces in larger open areas? I'd guess the latter, but I'm admittedly ignorant of much of Chinese history.
I don't know for certain that all of the battles involved house-to-house fighting, but I'd think at least one had to have because the attackers were targeting the monastery and, as you can see from the picture below, the monastery complex is surrounded by that sort of construction except for its flanks that butt up against a pretty steep hill.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Those were the boards that I was thinking of. Nice to have them re-publicised.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't know for certain that all of the battles involved house-to-house fighting, but I'd think at least one had to have because the attackers were targeting the monastery and, as you can see from the picture below, the monastery complex is surrounded by that sort of construction except for its flanks that butt up against a pretty steep hill.

In terms of effect, it's be like having a board that consisted of one giant building, a one-story Factory that vehicles could crawl through and LOS only extended hex to hex. It would be...interesting, to say the least.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Instead of dense jungle it's dense urban terrain. At that point the artwork is practically irrelevant. Inherent terrain.