YOU CAN'T HANDLE... Board 86

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
  • Buildings that have no roads leading to them - that isn't realistic - how do you get to them - where is such terrain ?
Footpaths that are so small they don't have an impact on movement and thus no terrain depiction. Could be hunter's cabins, abandoned homesteads, etc. You'd walk, or take your horse (which were far more common in the 1940s).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Board 86 -
I like it for the most part
But I'm not crazy about it for a few reasons:
  • Buildings that have no roads leading to them - that isn't realistic - how do you get to them - where is such terrain ?
  • the isolated Cemetery - why so far from town? Seems pretty isolated

Well, every German knows the fairy tale of Hänsel and Gretel and the witch in her gingerbread cottage. Of course, no roads or paths are leading towards it. So we have established, that such 'terrain' does exist in Germany - where many ASL scenarios are set. It might also explain Allied troops moving into a forest never to emerge again. Or 'bewitched' DRs when playing on bd86. So that's settled.

On a more serious note: As for the isolated cemeteries, in Europe in medieval times Jews were not allowed on Christian cemetaries. And Jews were often discriminated as early as the turn of the first milennium (before which they were often effectively protected by the powerful for their being important long distance traders after the decline of the Roman Empire). So their cemeteries were often located some distance away from the towns. The place where I live has an example for such an old Jewish cemetery.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
On a more serious note: As for the isolated cemeteries, in Europe in medieval times Jews were not allowed on Christian cemetaries. And Jews were often discriminated as early as the turn of the first milennium (before which they were often effectively protected by the powerful for their being important long distance traders after the decline of the Roman Empire). So their cemeteries were often located some distance away from the towns. The place where I live has an example for such an old Jewish cemetery.
Inaccessibility seems to be a theme. The Jewish Cemetery near me here is locked and not open to the general public.

DPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Footpaths that are so small they don't have an impact on movement and thus no terrain depiction. Could be hunter's cabins, abandoned homesteads, etc. You'd walk, or take your horse (which were far more common in the 1940s).
Hmm. Could be. Still seems a bit of a stretch to me. In towns, I like seeing little dirt roads.

DPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
von Marwitz
Makes sense - at least from that angle I suppose (leads one to ask where's the other, Gentile cemetery?)

My point wasn't to nitpik so much as to point out that our boards should be as realistic looking as possible. Road network layout, building types and sizes, how terrain relates to each other, etc.. I have a particular opinion about that look - but again, I'm pretty anal about all this!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Makes sense - at least from that angle I suppose (leads one to ask where's the other, Gentile cemetery?)
The old Christian graveyards were originally typically around the churches. Later, when space within the growing towns was scarce, they often were in the immediate vincinity of the town. These later were surrounded by the growing settlements. This is somewhat of the typical pattern.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The old Christian graveyards were originally typically around the churches. Later, when space within the growing towns was scarce, they often were in the immediate vincinity of the town. These later were surrounded by the growing settlements. This is somewhat of the typical pattern.

von Marwitz
Excellent example is the graveyard on Stoumont Map (KGP) located near the "old town" but fairly on the edge of the growing village.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
In agricultural areas another typical pattern was for churches (and each's associated cemetery) to be scattered across the landscape so that the equally scattered farmstead occupants had ready access to one. Parts of the US are still studded with such "country" churches. As people leave the land for whatever reason (war, pestilence, crop failure or just increasing mechanization which expanded the definition of accessibility), country churches often move to town or just disappear, leaving their associated cemeteries as the only remaining marks on the landscape.

Anyway (and to return to ASL), that's how I interpret Bd 86's isolated cemetery.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In agricultural areas another typical pattern was for churches (and each's associated cemetery) to be scattered across the landscape so that the equally scattered farmstead occupants had ready access to one. Parts of the US are still studded with such "country" churches. As people leave the land for whatever reason (war, pestilence, crop failure or just increasing mechanization which expanded the definition of accessibility), country churches often move to town or just disappear, leaving their associated cemeteries as the only remaining marks on the landscape.

Anyway (and to return to ASL), that's how I interpret Bd 86's isolated cemetery.

Interesting.

I think this would rarely apply to western Europe, which was quite densely populated. There are pletiful (very) small chapels in remote places, commemorating some sacred apparition at the very place in the past. But churches commonly used for mass and to accomotate a religious community would normally be located in cities, towns or villages.

von Marwitz

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the cumulative terrain hexes how do you handle kindle/spreading fire? Do all terrain types or just one in the hex have to be rolled in the hex for flame placement?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Regarding the cumulative terrain hexes how do you handle kindle/spreading fire? Do all terrain types or just one in the hex have to be rolled in the hex for flame placement?
My guess would be that you make one roll, using whatever Burnable terrain contains the hex center dot.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting.

I think this would rarely apply to western Europe, which was quite densely populated. There are pletiful (very) small chapels in remote places, commemorating some sacred apparition at the very place in the past. But churches commonly used for mass and to accomotate a religious community would normally be located in cities, towns or villages.

von Marwitz
I'm basing this on my own experience in the Midwest of the US, settled by Protestant Germans (i.e., from northern Germany). But anywhere you see large contiguous tracts of arable land in a time when farmers, often as tenant farmers or sharecroppers, had to live close to the land to work it successfully, the settlement pattern is common. I believe.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Well, there's not really any set rule about it, but you can't have only part of the hex on fire; so I'd say lowest applicable kindling/spreading numbers apply.

Note that EC DRM never apply to buildings so depending on the EC in play the terrain type that has the best chance of catching fire may vary in different scenarios.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
If you want to be happy
for the rest of your life
never make board 86 your wife
So from my personal point of view
get the Red Barricades map
to marry you?

Apologies to Jimmy Soul???
???????????????????????????

Now I got that song in my head for the rest of day! I'm gonna hear it when trying to sleep tonight too!!!!!!