YoB and the current state of mapmaking docs

jomolungma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi there!

I’ve been combing the forums trying to find a resource/guide for making maps for VASL. I’ve looked in the dev repository on GitHub, but all that info is focused on how to integrate a made map into VASL. I’ve seen lots of mentions re: Ye Olde Booke of VASL Mapmaking Secrets, but I can’t find a good link for that. Well, I did find a link to a Google site that had at least one active link to an Appendix E in the pinned post in this sub, but I couldn’t find the actual original chapters and the other links were dead 😕

So I’m just wondering if anyone could help me find the latest info on how to make original maps for VASL - not necessarily recreating MMP boards, but new stuff. Thanks!

Stu

EDIT: Gah! I think I found a copy of YoB at Texas ASL that looks up to date through Appendix E. So I guess I have that covered. Still interested in any other mapmaking resources that might be out there though. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last year I put together a 12-part VASL Map School tutorial that focused on doing board 85 (or was it 86?). I'll send you the link to the docs.

The YoB is indeed old and in need of updating, like its author. Neither is going to happen anytime soon. One may decry this state of affairs, but one would be making the process unnecessarily open, easy, and transparent. Those who persist will find the truth in Wallace Stegner's comment that life's lessons are measured in calluses.

Map Elves are self made, uh, men. Or man-like Neutral Good forest dwellers, but that doesn't just trip off the tongue. WHATEVER.

jomolungma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last year I put together a 12-part VASL Map School tutorial that focused on doing board 85 (or was it 86?). I'll send you the link to the docs.

The YoB is indeed old and in need of updating, like its author. Neither is going to happen anytime soon. One may decry this state of affairs, but one would be making the process unnecessarily open, easy, and transparent. Those who persist will find the truth in Wallace Stegner's comment that life's lessons are measured in calluses.

Map Elves are self made, uh, men. Or man-like Neutral Good forest dwellers, but that doesn't just trip off the tongue. WHATEVER.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I saw some old posts referencing that tutorial as it was happening, but can't find how to access the final 12-part lesson book. So I'm sure that will be helpful. The copy of YoB I was able to find also has an Appendix D, which is a multi-part walkthru of the development of board 51. I'm finding that helpful, but it references a bunch of files that are listed on the VASL Map Bazaar Google site, I think in the VASL Terrain Libraries section, that all have dead links :( So I was also hoping to find current links for those packages. I can tell from pouring over these forums the significant role you've played in the development of VASL, so thanks so much for taking the time to help out a complete noob. Appreciate it! BTW, I have many calluses, but always thought of myself as chaotic good ;)

Stu

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I’ve seen lots of mentions re: Ye Olde Booke of VASL Mapmaking Secrets, but I can’t find a good link for that
It is a dangerous question thou asketh...

Laughter, for a few moments, distracts the villein from fear. But law is imposed by fear, whose true name is fear of God. This book could strike the Luciferine spark that would set a new fire to the whole world, and laughter would be defined as the new art, unknown even to Prometheus, for cancelling fear. To the villein who laughs, at that moment, dying does not matter: but then, when the license is past, the liturgy once again imposes on him, according to the divine plan, the fear of death. And from this book, there could be born the new destructive aim to destroy death through redemption from fear. And what would we be - we sinful creatures - without fear, perhaps the most foresighted, the most loving of the divine gifts?

But I will answer thine question:

SECRETUM FINIS AFRICAE MANUS SUPRA IDOLUM AGE PRIMUM ET SEPTIMUM DE QUATUOR.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Many thanks! I will now forever just assume that's a selfie :)
I have been quoting Jorge of Burgos from the exceptional novel 'The Name of the Rose' by Umberto Eco. While I answered your question, Jorge of Burgos would never have. While the blind monk is not wearing a monocle, Oberst von Marwitz is rumored to do so. Thus you may rest assured that you have not been presented with von Marwitz's countenance.

von Marwitz

jomolungma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Tom, now that I'm on my computer and not my phone, I was able to do a little more targeted searching and I think maybe I found the archive of map making materials? I came across an old forum post with a dropbox link to "VASL Map Making" that contained just over 2GB of raw materials, including a folder titled "VASL Map School docs" that contains what appears to be all 12 lessons you were referring to. So I think I have all of it, but if you think I'm missing something in addition, please let me know. Thanks!

Sgt Shunt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Any chance of also getting the link Tuomo? I've always wanted to sketch up ASL and other game maps, but never had sufficient skill to carry it off - I've thought of using Ink but never quite connected.
S

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any chance of also getting the link Tuomo? I've always wanted to sketch up ASL and other game maps, but never had sufficient skill to carry it off - I've thought of using Ink but never quite connected.
S
It looks like the link in jomolungma's post above is the right one. If either of you have questions, PM me.