Yet Another Assault Move question

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This came up during our group's gaming session Saturday.

Situation - I assault move a unit from an Open Ground hex to an Open Ground hex ADJACENT to an enemy unit.

How many shots does the enemy get during the movement phase?

I say one, because I only used 1 MF.

My opponent says four, because Assault Movement is equivalent to the unit's entire movement.

It seemed pretty clear to me (A4.61 says Assault Movement is moving "without using all of its MF").

My opponent said, after checking, that the rulebook was mute, but that was the way he (and his regular opponent for several years) always played it.

I know that vehicles spend their movement allowance each turn, but I didn't think that infantry always used all of its movement allowance.

Thanks in advance.

Greg.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think you are right.
If your unit spent 4MF, it would no more be Assault Moving, thus would also recieve FFNAM DRM.
The question you are asking would change other situations: a one hex move in woods (2MF) would be allowed 4 shots also (Ass Move or not), etc.
Note that a unit that doesn't move at all does not take even one shot during its MPh !
The rule is 1 shot per MF.
That's all... and I believe it is enough to take for your infantry, isn't it? :wink:

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello.

How many shots does the enemy get during the movement phase?
He can fire at you as many times as MF expended. (A8.14)

I say one, because I only used 1 MF.
If you only spent 1 MF to enter the Location, an enemy unit may DFF only one time. It doesn't matter whether you used Assault Movement or not.

I know that vehicles spend their movement allowance each turn, but I didn't think that infantry always used all of its movement allowance.
You are correct. You have to declare that your move is ended (A4.2), but you are not considered to have expended all remaining MF in the last Location.

(Your friend is mistaken in this case. If you would be required to expend all of your remaining MF, you would never be eligible for Assault Movement!)

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

ATStatham

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"A4.13 Whenever Infantry moves into a hex during the MPh, it expends MF for that turn equal to the cost of the terrain within the that hex as listed on the Infantry column of the Terrain Chart.... unless using Bypass movement."

I would play it has 1 MF, thus shot; but the "for the turn" reference is a bit confusing / misleading.

ATS