Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would find not the least pleasure winning on a : "Gotcha! You forgot to place your reinforcements before the wind DR!" or similar "I knew it all the way but I didn't tell you, nananaaa!" sorts of situations, so I do my best to prevent them.

That said, I do like to take advantage of my knowledge of the rules to apply a good "trick" like skulking, deploying Russian squads through transfer of prisoners, VBM freeze, etc.

We all have different standards to separate gentlemen from rascals.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From what I've seen from many players is that they tend to harder on themselves than on their opponents, an example is the Direct Fire Smoke>OBA Smoke>OBA>other-shots thing. Many times I've heard the guy say words to the effect, "Oh crap! ...popped that OBA before I shot my direct fire smoke! Guess I'll sure remember it next time!" Even when I offer to let them continue with direct fire smoke, they'll say "No, if I do it now, I'll never get it right!" Most people I've run across are VERY forgiving to their opponents but do not avail themselves of leniency offered by others. And yes, this is at tournaments as well!

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
good manners and sportsmanship are always optional

however whoever doesn't show them loses more than they gain

Rockford

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Devil's advocate here right, but what's the actual difference between someone saying "it's not +2 to hit, it's actually +4 because you're missing THIS important modifier" and someone saying "you should button those tanks up else they can't fire"

I might very well be evil.
AS lightspeed noted above, they really are pretty different. Modifiers are not optional. Both players should be working together to get the rules right. On the other hand there may be a strategy to having a tank CE. He might be trying to get road rate, or suck up a sniper shot to preserve a 10-2 kill stack.

And yes, if I could think of no good reason to have those RST tanks CE, I would probably say something like "Hey dum dum! Your tanks can't fire."

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
AS lightspeed noted above, they really are pretty different. Modifiers are not optional. Both players should be working together to get the rules right. On the other hand there may be a strategy to having a tank CE. He might be trying to get road rate, or suck up a sniper shot to preserve a 10-2 kill stack.

And yes, if I could think of no good reason to have those RST tanks CE, I would probably say something like "Hey dum dum! Your tanks can't fire."
As would I, unless it was a really good player I was playing who knows the rules. Then, you're basically playing the game for them. What's the point in that. It's like Gary Kasparov saying "hey man...don't forget my Bishop can move diagonally and nail your Queen if you do that".

I can just about see the line and I accept the point on the mods. But I do want my games to be fair but hard, and I wouldn't want someone bailing ME out on one of my fuck ups in a tournament situation.