XIXth century TOAW - Napoleon's first Italian campaign

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I would lke to start the project of making a campaign scenario for Napoleon's first Italian campaign in Italy (and Austria) of 1796-1797.

I have the map (I'll use and extend my map of North Italy at 2.5km/hex scale - I'll extend it towards Graz and Vienna.

I will keep the game at divisional scale (I think) with some smaller scale units at corps/army level and for minor nations (duchy of florence, etc.)

I need to discuss in this thread the events, oob's (french, piedmontese, genovese, florentine, modenaese, austrian, british blockade ships etc., TOEs that happened during that campaign. I am not an expert on napoleonic times, so all help is much welcome!

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
while waiting, I just finished and posted on the strategist a short scenario of the battle of Valmy.

Marmont

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Do you need help in starting this scenario? I would love to see a 1796 Italy campaign scenario and I think I have the French and Austrian OOB from some napoleonic books of mine.

On a miscellaneous note, has anyone thought of doing a 2.5 km/hex scenario covering the entire Spanish Peninsular war from 1808 to 1814? I think it would make a superb scenario. (or what about all of Napoleon's campaigns and not simply battles?)

OG Loc

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Your scenario would be great Piero.
By the way, you really like O.Fallaci's books ? :eek: :hush: :laugh:

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
thanks.

yes, I'd like to start worki on that. map is done. OOB and TOE would need to be researched and of course events and what ifs (what if Piedmont army did not surrender so easyly, or even more easyly, what if Austrians move more or less forces in piedmont, etc. etc.)

pos. yes, fallacci makes a few very good points. not 100% right, but a few good ones. (and no, I am not FN... :) )

Roofio

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
piero1971 said:
pos. yes, fallacci makes a few very good points. not 100% right, but a few good ones. (and no, I am not FN... :) )

Talking about books:
i just picked up Martin Boycott-Browns "The Road to Rivoli", which is about Napoleons first Campaign! And i thought how nice this would be in a scenario, so a great many thanks and good luck Piero!!!

It´s filled with who went where when with how many and details the different commanders quite well i guess.
I don´t really know much about the napoleonic era, nor do i understand anything about scenario design, but if i can be of any help clarifying stuff, just ask and i´ll see what i can do! I could also help translating german sources, though i don´t know if it´s needed since you´re swiss!

Anyways, good luck with this project!!!
:)

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
my german is really bad! but thanks. when I really get this one going, I'll let you know . I am trying to advance on a TOAW version of the 1805 Austerlitz battle first.

Roofio

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
You´re welcome!
That one sounds mouthwatering, too!

Just read some more yesterday, some events should properly show the uprisings in some towns, mainly Pavia.

Can´t wait to see some of that stuff! :love:

Last edited:

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Piero:

I have Jackson's 'Attack in the West' which I am just finishing, also 'The Road to Rivoli' which I have not read yet.

I was in that part of the world in late September, around Lake Garda.

Also

http://www.napoleonic-literature.com

in the electronic books section see 'The Corsican' which has Napoleon's Dispatches 1796-97.

If you need any info I will try to help. :)

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
by christimas, I hope to finish the Austerlitz game so then will start working on the itlaian campaign(s)