X -Rebirth Announced

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tis a great day! :bounce:

X - Rebirth Announced

Publisher Deep Silver and developer Egosoft today announced the latest game set in the X Universe, set to transport the multi-award-winning series to another dimension with radically new game design and top notch graphics.

The space simulation X Rebirth heralds more than just an additional chapter within the X series, it is a fresh beginning bringing with it a number of gameplay innovations without compromising its successful origins.
Between this, Sins: Rebellion and SotS 2, I am going to be playing almost nothing but sci-fi games by the end of the year. :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, this is a cool update:

View attachment 34008

X Rebirth Feature - Ore Refinery

In this edition of the X-Universe News we would like to show you a few pictures of just one single module of a much larger factory complex. The module you see is an ore refining module. It receives unrefined ore and processes it into refined metals.

The raw materials for this module (ore rock) can come from different sources and you as a player can play a very active role in this, if you like. But that’s perhaps another story for a later issue of X-Universe News.

The station module you see here is not small. It is exactly 1900m long in fact. But what you see here is still just one small module inside a station complex that can be much much bigger.

X Rebirth will allow you to build many different types of station. Many of them can eventually be expanded to contain an ore refining module. That’s when you will have one (or more) of these production lines visible in your station.

The result is that you can see precisely what’s going on inside your mega complex. Is it producing right at this moment? Well you can ask the manager who helps you run the station, or you can just fly past it and see for yourself.

And this is all of course only one example. The whole economy works like this. You can physically see what’s going on and you can interact with these modules. Analyze the production, sabotage your competition or just check what a competing station is really producing.- Toastie
It certainly sounds like Egosoft is trying hard to make the game more transparent than previous titles where a lot of crucial information always seemed to be hidden from the player.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My excitement factor just increased with this new screenie of....official in-game cockpits!

View attachment 34393

If only EvE would give us the same....

But it gets even better than cockpits. It looks like XR will finally give me the SH3 experience I've been demanding for years!

Rooms and NPCs

This one ship, however, is not just another ship like those you know from our past games. For starters, it has several rooms that you can see and use, it has a crew of NPCs who work for you, their captain, and who you can meet face to face.

The Co-Pilot

Some of these NPCs can be hired and exchanged, others you meet by destiny (or as we refer to it: The plot). The best example of that latter kind will be your co-pilot. She will be your interface to the ship and helps you control many of the more complex aspects of the game.

The story of the ship

It has a long history and that history is far from over.
You can influence what this ship is and how it develops.

Expanding the ship

It is a fast and maneuverable ship and can be expanded. Weapons systems, engines, shields, but most importantly: Drones.
At last! I hope Egosoft does a good job with this game, because it certainly sounds like the space sim I've wanted for years.

It could also be the game that gives me an excuse to upgrade my rig. :D

More cool info here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306576

This is proving to be a far more ambitious sequel than I at first anticipated.

EDIT: Station walking - confirmed! :joy:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh God, yes!

Talking to people - NPCs working for you

I have already mentioned the NPCs who help you operate your ships (all of them). This is another of these BIG things for us.

We want to make the game easier to understand by controlling many of the complex things you can do in an X game through conversations.

Instead of dry and hard-to-interpret text menus, you will be talking to people. You will give them commands and they willl tell you about their progress - all in the form of conversations.

Examples

Some examples of NPCs working for you:

• Managers onboard your factories run the economy side. They buy and sell wares, but will only do what you allow them to do.
  • Captain of a ship: He or she is the person on the bridge who steers the ship according to your commands. You can tell them what you want them to do in very fine detail, or you give them more freedom or assign them to work for a station manager.
  • Your Co-Pilot: She was already mentioned above and she is the most important of all NPCs in this game. You will learn more about her soon.
  • Boarding crew: Just one example of crew members working for you.
"Big Picture" overview here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306346

A screenie of a farm complex as seen from your ship:

View attachment 34394

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Those does sound very exciting I'll have to keep my eye on this one and make sure when and if I build my computer it has enough to run it.

Pillar

Reaction score
Love it. The only thing that keeps me from playing it is the fact that Eve has most of the same stuff, but everyone is a real person. If X could somehow be made into an MMO.... sigh, :)

Cockpits were the big thing missing in the game prior imo. Glad to see those making it in.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Love it. The only thing that keeps me from playing it is the fact that Eve has most of the same stuff, but everyone is a real person. If X could somehow be made into an MMO.... sigh, :)
But like you said, if X3 was a MMO, you would have EVE. :D

I think the big draw of the X-series is that it is not a MMO. I like to play it because it is nice to have the universe revolve around you for a change, instead of thousands of other people. Plus, X3 has much better combat. :)

I do think that X-Rebirth might actually jump a little ahead of the EvE experience, though. The ability to walk the halls of your ship is gonna be a big immersive plus for me. So it the ability to hire and manage crew. These are two things I've sorely missed in EvE. I understand that CCP does want to go in this direction eventually - they've talked about adding a captain's quarters on every ship and implementing a crew factor - but right now they are struggling just to get station quarters and walking working.

Both games are good, though. It will be nice to be able to jump from EVE's MMO environs to Rebirths single player experience.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's the Gamescon trailer that has yet to be properly released overseas.

[video=youtube;F9I0UzWb5GU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9I0UzWb5GU[/video]

I love how they ramped up the music for the new game. Like all good space games, X3 had some great music.

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The thing that has always put me off this series is the business side of it. I don't mind trading (infact it's a must have in a space sim) along the lines of Elite but when it goes into anything more than just you and your ship it really doesn't interest me.

A shame as it does look like an excellent game.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it doesn't look like it is vaporware...just yet:

From Egosoft:

[h=1]X Rebirth[/h]
Postponement of the X Rebirth release date

As many of you have already noticed, we've now had to push the release date for X Rebirth into 2013. Believe me, we would have loved to release the game earlier, but it's just not ready for prime-time yet.

We are very excited about X Rebirth; it's beautiful, it's big and everything in it is new. But it turns out that you don't simply reinvent space games overnight! ;)

We have now been working for more than five years on this huge project, and right now everything is finally clicking together. Everybody on the team is looking forward immensely to the release, but we can't yet give you an exact date. We can only beg our fans to please be patient for a little while longer. - Bernd
Oh well.

And some Q&A:

[h=1]X Rebirth community questions answered by Bernd[/h]
If you don't ask, you'll never know

After answering questions about X Rebirth in the forums and the big Gamescom interview featuring lots of community questions already, Bernd took some time again to answer some more questions about X Rebirth that were asked by users in the forums:

How does upgrading the ships work?
The player's ship is a special case; it can be reconstructed and upgraded by experts in different ways. Stations and bigger ships however can be upgraded based on construction plans, which function in a similar way to a tech tree; in some cases it may be linear sequence of upgrades, while in others it can be a tree with many alternatives.

Will there be a limit as to the amount of modules you can build on a station or carrier ship?
There is always a limit. As mentioned before, this limit depends on the actual construction plan.

We know a little about Virtual Reality and remote control of drones, that's great I'm on-board with that, but how do I control a fleet of ships in the new world of Rebirth?
Indirectly. Controlling a capital ship happens by commanding it. In a large battle this happens mostly by planning your battle ahead of time and then focussing on smaller tasks like disabling a critical weapon system while the large ships execute the job you planned for them.

Will we be able to run a hardcore economical game?
In X Rebirth it is very common to trade with capital ships. This is in fact one of the main reasons why we wanted to re-invent the way capital ships are controlled. So trading with large capital traders and whole fleets is very easy and happens while you can play anything you want in parallel.

To what extent are new, currently unknown station types planned to give the player additional new options?
Actually, almost all stations will be new in X Rebirth. This starts with the completely new economic system; only a few wares and resources from previous games are still around. As every station module can be equipped with a wide array of turrets, shields and many other elements, there is a much bigger difference between the combat ability of stations, which you may not always be able to see right away, and the ability to add different manufacturing and production modules means a greater variety as in the old complex building system.

Where do we stand with big complexes, will we be able to build the whole complex from just expanding one station or won't there be anything like that?
When you start building a station you decide for a specific plan. The plan of that station can allow you many alternatives, but it always starts with a single core station. Over time you make decisions how to expand the complex and you play missions to help building it bigger and stronger. You have a lot more freedom and a lot more decisions and building a complex is a much slower process than it was in previous games. But even though it can take a long time to create a huge complex, it never gets boring, because you have so many things to do and you never have to wait for anything because most things can happen while you play at the opposite side of the universe.

Will there be a Stock Exchange, as in Albion Prelude?
First of all, we try to reduce features that a very complicated and need a lot of menus to ones that are easy to use. During that process we deliberately omit things too.
Although I'm a big fan of the Stock Exchange in X3: Albion Prelude, there won't be something like that in X Rebirth, when it will be released. However, that doesn't mean that we might not find a solution for that later, for example in an extension. The interface would be different then, though.

Will it be possible to incorporate the environment into the fights?
Enabling fights in complex 3D environments was one of our most important goals. The new gigantic stations, which are much more detailed than those of the past, can serve as exciting settings for fights.

Will it be possible to play as a pirate?
Absolutely. Especially in this area there are big differences to the previous X-games. The reputation of the player towards a certain faction depends less on what he did, but rather on what he was caught at. ;-)

Putting this in other words, smugglers for example are much harder to identify in the game now. Whether the player sides with one party or has more than one iron in the fire is, apart from some exceptions in the plot, totally up to him. The freedom of being able to decide on my own what my relations to others are and which parts of the game I'm more interested in, is from my point of view one of the key points of the X-series.

Do capital ships use the same highways as smaller crafts?
No. Highways are reserved for ship only up to a maximum size. Larger ships use jump drives that require fuel.

How will scanners work in the new game? Will it be the same as X3 where everything within range is picked up or will there be items that could block your scanners?
In X Rebirth there is a big difference between being in scanner range for a quick ID and being REALLY scanned deeply. There are several levels of scanning. Your true identification for example is something that requires a deeper scan. If you attack a station or shoot down a small transport vessel near a station, the law enforcement of that station may immediately start to hunt you, but they do not know exactly who you are (YET). Hiding in the right place, for long enough can help you not being punished for your evil deeds ;) This works vice versa for your own map system too. You can see whats going on around your stations and ships, but you may not know all the details unless you scan for them.

What about endgame content?
The same as in all X games before. When the plot ends, what happens next is entirely up to you. You can if you want, set your own master plan to make big changes to the universe and eliminate an entire faction if you like, or you continue building up your empire peacefully. You can continue playing missions, or you continue exploring the more remote areas of the huge universe. We do not decide this for you, we only want to provide the universe, and leave these questions to you.

Was the gamepad support removed?
Removed? Quite the contrary. We attach great importance to the ability to also play the game entirely with a gamepad. As you might have read already, we want to update the current X3 games with the same functionality as well. Since the interface for the X3 games is much more complex, it's not possible to make gamepad control quite as smooth as in X Rebirth, but nevertheless it should be possible to fully control all aspects of your game with one.

I'm a big fan of the new Steam "Big Picture" mode, which tries to bring gaming PCs to the living room and I want that our games work optimally there as well. In this thread we're currently looking for feedback and testers to help us to create an optimal controller profile for X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just trolling the internet, looking for some news. Decided to swing by Egosoft and found two new vids. Not much to see - again :( - but at least this seems to offer some proof of life.

[video=youtube;DNz99IPWtJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNz99IPWtJE&feature=share&list=PLRNrultsQ-Tiera_eBKY-Vo01K5mCGpu7[/video]

And

[video=youtube_share;dt4B4e3i5_0]http://youtu.be/dt4B4e3i5_0[/video]

They're still talking about a 2013 release, so....

Also discovered that X3TC Albion Prelude is still getting updates, which is nice. A Reddit thread mention that Albion Prelude 3.0 is in the works, and not to worry, a team separate from Rebirth is working on it. :)

Might have to jump into Albion again. Haven't played X3 in a long while now.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just came across a cool fan-made trailer for Albion Prelude:

[video=youtube_share;QIEksP8ot0s]http://youtu.be/QIEksP8ot0s[/video]

Yeah, I am definitely going to have to reinstall it. :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It lives! Lots of news today:

Trailer:

[video=youtube_share;eNs1rdSkUi8]http://youtu.be/eNs1rdSkUi8[/video]

Why it took so long:

[video=youtube_share;NEbL1p5vZpw]http://youtu.be/NEbL1p5vZpw[/video]

Controller vid (watch it to the end for a glimpse of station walking!):

[video=youtube_share;rtXV34Py2fI]http://youtu.be/rtXV34Py2fI[/video]

And Steam page with release date:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2870/

Looks great, but I am going to remain circumspect. Egosoft has proven themselves to be dedicated game devs, but this looks like a massively ambitious project, even for them. Add in the fact that the game is almost two years overdue, something that suggests more than a few development problems. This game is either going to take off like a rocket and be an instant classic, or it is going to be one of those over-ambitious projects that people will say "could have been great if only...." Knowing gaming, I fear the latter is far more likely. But here's hoping for the former!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New trailer:

[video=youtube_share;U_jvRmRMWdE]http://youtu.be/U_jvRmRMWdE[/video]

I really hope this turns out as good as it looks. However, I am holding off on a pre-order short of a beta/demo. Again, there is far too much that can go wrong with such an ambitious title. And, truth be told, it took X3 almost two years to be the game it was meant to be. Keeping my powder dry on this.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know I'm going to get this game eventually, but it's yet another franchise that I own and have played little of.