WWII Museum in New Orleans?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I read that there is a WWII museum in New Orleans, LA. Apparently started at least in part by Stephen Ambrose.

Has anyone visited it? Is it worth it?

S

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spencer,

Yes I have been to it many times and it is well worth a visit.Check out their homepage on the web (sorru no URL handy....)
I also help run the ASL gaming at the museum's annual Heat of Battle wargame con every August--you can find out more info about this con at the Museum's homepage too.

Hope my answer help--if not PM me directly with any questions as I grew up in New Orleans so can answer most of 'em.

Mark

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I read that there is a WWII museum in New Orleans, LA. Apparently started at least in part by Stephen Ambrose.

Has anyone visited it? Is it worth it?

S
We went the first weekend it was opened but haven't been back since. They have added to it since then from what I've heard.

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're in New Orleans and have a chance to check it out then I'd highly recommend it. One of the cool facts about it is it occupies an old Higgins boat factory.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, gents. Mark, I may drop you a line as it gets closer. Would also accept other "must do" recommendations on NOLA.

S

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, the museum is worth a visit. If you're pressed for time I'd recommend skipping the exhibit hall and checking out the 4D movie, narrated by Tom Hanks, playing across the street. And give Bourbon Street a pass unless you enjoy shocking scenes of public inebriation and/or debauchery. Instead, check out the little clubs and bars on Frenchman Street where you can hear first-rate music.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, there is. Excellent museum. I was there a few years ago and would recomend it. Not the best side of town though. Go during the day.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Museum is excellent, totally worth the trip.

'Instead, check out the little clubs and bars on Frenchman Street where you can hear first-rate music' - agree with this advice as well and when it is time for dinner look up K-Paul's

Around your neck of the woods is the Marine Corps Museum located outside of Quantico, Va. Same layout as the WW II museum

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I went a couple of years ago when I was in NO. It was on D-Day weekend, so they has all sorts of stuff outside: art pieces, At guns, jeeps, Sherman, Stuart, all sorts of equipment (US and German) and some re-enactors (SP??). They has cool planes hanging from the ceiling, etc. etc. All in all, I liked it a lot.

Plus its right across the street from the oldest confederate museum. The building that is housed in is amazing and they have some nice displays. Its small, and also well worth the visit.

Peace

Roger