Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
about 6 shots in one minute.....
The real one would kick because of recoil (this one is obviously firing blanks that don't cause recoil). I'm not sure how that affected laying the gun. I once worked with a guy who had served 17-pounder anti-tank guns after the war and he said the gun trails leapt up off the ground with each shot.

Doesn't seem so bad in this video, but the huge clouds of dust would probably be a hindrance.

Some grainy shots, but show the actual recoil of the 6-pounder nicely.

Servius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting, I wondered about that because the gun was so still. Figured they weren't firing ammo as powerful as the real thing.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Interesting, I wondered about that because the gun was so still. Figured they weren't firing ammo as powerful as the real thing.
Most Hollywood movies have gotten this wrong - they use blank firing systems that don't make the gun recoil. Once you know to watch for it, it will be conspicuous. CGI is improving it, and some film companies take the time to rig up recoil mechanisms for their blank firing artillery, tank guns, and heavy weapons. That's an expensive proposition - potentially dangerous also if non-professionals are using it - so most reenactors will go the way these fellows have gone.

Otherwise, the reenactors in the OP put on a good show.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The real one would kick because of recoil (this one is obviously firing blanks that don't cause recoil). I'm not sure how that affected laying the gun. I once worked with a guy who had served 17-pounder anti-tank guns after the war and he said the gun trails leapt up off the ground with each shot.

Doesn't seem so bad in this video, but the huge clouds of dust would probably be a hindrance.

Some grainy shots, but show the actual recoil of the 6-pounder nicely.
Note:
The '2 pounder' shown near the beginning of the b/w 6 pounder video is actually the 37mm Bofors L/45 AT gun.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The real one would kick because of recoil (this one is obviously firing blanks that don't cause recoil). I'm not sure how that affected laying the gun. ...

Doesn't seem so bad in this video, but the huge clouds of dust would probably be a hindrance....
Not to mention, it would be a pretty good dead give-away for the gun's position (always hated that about the TOW & Dragon (especially the DRAGON).

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most Hollywood movies have gotten this wrong - they use blank firing systems that don't make the gun recoil. Once you know to watch for it, it will be conspicuous. CGI is improving it, and some film companies take the time to rig up recoil mechanisms for their blank firing artillery, tank guns, and heavy weapons. That's an expensive proposition - potentially dangerous also if non-professionals are using it - so most reenactors will go the way these fellows have gone.

Otherwise, the reenactors in the OP put on a good show.
Not to mention, it would be a pretty good dead give-away for the gun's position (always hated that about the TOW & Dragon (especially the DRAGON).
One of the things that Fury did get right was the engagement verses the AT Gun - to the points above.

Underlining the danger of firing the real things - couple of guys got killed firing the 76mm of a still functioning M18 Hellcat several years ago:
http://www.ktvz.com/news/deschutes-county/investigators-tank-blast-occurred-as-round-was-fired/68835247