WW1 and WW2 Aviation MMO's

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone here tried any WW1 or WW2 aviation MMO's? I know that there are at least a couple out there now, and it seems to me like WW1 and WW2 aerial combat would work great within context of an MMO. I could imagine how you would join a squadron which would work much like a fleet in Star Trek Online (though hopefully without all that terrible 'instancing' that you have in STO). Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations or reviews, good or otherwise, please do share.

Last edited:

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AviNation is an airport-management social game slated to hit Facebook in June.
I bailed from Facebook about two years ago and don't miss it at all. It is the biggest, most insidious time-waster on the Internet. Every now and again I get an urge to go back, but fortunately it quickly passes. ;) Also, Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg is so much like Bill Gates that it's uncanny: silver spoon rich kid, Harvard dropout, stabbed many people in the back on his way to the top. But I digress.

On a more pleasant note, I would like to see a combat aviation MMO where the player creates an avatar/character that can do things between missions like shop for aircraft upgrades and equipment, join a squadron, hang out at the base cantina and chat with other players, etc. I think it would be kind of boring to have an aviation MMO where you're sitting in your plane the whole time. On a related note, I think Star Trek Online had the right idea by doing something similar to what I described. The trouble with STO, however, is that the missions are repetitive and grindy after a while, there's way too much instancing, the PvP are meaningless one-off matches, and there's not much motivation to play after you reach your level cap.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a spammer, dude.

He'll edit his post later to have spam link.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never tried it but "Rise of Flight-Iron Cross", a WW1 flight sim, has gotten outstanding reviews from loads of mags and websites. It has been regularly updated with patches and occasional new planes and graphics improvements. It has a fairly good sized on-line following. I used to Play Red Baron 3D and loved it, thoough it had some problems. As for WW2 I really don't know. There was a time when WW2 flight games were as prolific as FPS games and MMO games are now. Some old good WW2 games were Microsofts Combat flight sim, and (darn, can't think of the whole title) something Screamin Demons over Europe or something like that. I'm sure you could get a good deal on some of the older ones, but you would have to check compatibility. I think most of those older titles were for Win98/2000/ME/ and maybe XP. I have also seen some current WW2 games on STEAM(y pile) though I don;t know much about them, and being on STEAM(y pile) they may be more arcade than sim.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only flight sim I ever finished was the very first MS flight sim on WW2 Europe. Now that was an amazing game, and I have very fond memories of it. I recall trying to take off with my Hawker Hurricane at the same time the Germans were bombing my airfield. Also, it was cool as hell trying to tear up a B-17 formation with a Focke Wulf. The second MS flight game on the pacific I got frustrated with early because I couldn't figure out how to land on a carrier. I tried two of the UbiSoft flight sims, but they were just too bloody difficult. I couldn't hit a ground target in those games to save my life. :( Yeah, combat flight sims other than arcade-style games seems to be a dying breed.

Speaking of games where you need a joy stick, I really should try Evechron again. That was so cool landing on a planet. :)

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The MS CFS games were good ones. As for Evochron I've not played it since my motorcycle wreck. Haven't played much of anything past Spider and Mahjong. But should be getting my casts off in 3 weeks, WOOHOO!!! Probably a few weeks of pt after that on my leg. But I don't play games with my leg so WOOHOO!!

waleeed

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
On a more pleasant note, I would like to see a combat aviation MMO where the player creates an avatar/character that can do things between missions like shop for aircraft upgrades and equipment, join a squadron, hang out at the base cantina and chat with other players, etc. I think it would be kind of boring to have an aviation MMO where you're sitting in your plane the whole time. On a related note, I think Star Trek Online had the right idea by doing something similar to what I described. The trouble with STO, however, is that the missions are repetitive and grindy after a while, there's way too much instancing, the PvP are meaningless one-off matches, and there's not much motivation to play after you reach your level cap.

=== free slots ===

Last edited: