WTTA MOVIES OF 2004 - King Arthur

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
The legend of King Arthur is, for most western Europeans and Americans, the greatest tale of chivalry and romance, of glory and battle, and of deep religious faith and purity. In my opinion, it is hard to find a better story (only Ivanhoe, to me, comes close, and Lord of the Rings).

The enduring popularity of the various stories about King Arthur and his knights is reflected by two things: a broad depth of research looking for the historical “King Arthur” and a series of movies about the fictional character. These two aspects of the Arthurian myth will be combined this year in the movie King Arthur, scheduled for release in July of 2004.

In this version, Arthur is a Sarmatian in the service of the Romans, who stays on when the Romans depart. There are facts to back this up. There were several thousand Sarmatians in Roman service in Britian and no one seems to have an idea where most of them went. Current thought is that Arthur was a dux bellorum, or ‘war duke’, who commanded a well-trained mobile army. When an area was threatened, these war dukes would augment local defense forces and command them in battle, increasing the chance of success.

What else has anyone heard of this movie? Has anyone seen a clip? How is their research? How is the action? Please share whatever info you have.

Thanks.

JS

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Janos
The legend of King Arthur is, for most western Europeans and Americans, the greatest tale of chivalry and romance, of glory and battle, and of deep religious faith and purity. In my opinion, it is hard to find a better story (only Ivanhoe, to me, comes close, and Lord of the Rings).

The enduring popularity of the various stories about King Arthur and his knights is reflected by two things: a broad depth of research looking for the historical “King Arthur” and a series of movies about the fictional character. These two aspects of the Arthurian myth will be combined this year in the movie King Arthur, scheduled for release in July of 2004.

In this version, Arthur is a Sarmatian in the service of the Romans, who stays on when the Romans depart. There are facts to back this up. There were several thousand Sarmatians in Roman service in Britian and no one seems to have an idea where most of them went. Current thought is that Arthur was a dux bellorum, or ‘war duke’, who commanded a well-trained mobile army. When an area was threatened, these war dukes would augment local defense forces and command them in battle, increasing the chance of success.

What else has anyone heard of this movie? Has anyone seen a clip? How is their research? How is the action? Please share whatever info you have.

Thanks.

JS
I saw the trailer. Arthur is wearing some kind of late-empire roman armor. it looks far more roman than anything i'd associate with celts....

it looked to be and action packed blockbuster costume epic as you'd expect a post-gladiator/post-LoTR hollywood to make. It's doesn't have that 1300 look that "Excalibur" had....

I'll go see it and pick it apart, but probably enjoy it none the less.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This movie will be seen by me on it's release. Hopefully it will be as good as the trailers.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not holding too much hope for this one but I will probably see it the night before it releases, I'll let everyone know my impressions when I get back from it (which will be around 3am EST haha)

HiredGoon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A local female newspaper reviewer didn't like the film because there was no singing, no love triangle, and too many battles. Basically it's everything that Camelot is not.

Sounds great to me!!:thumb:
:toast:

:laugh: