Wreck hindrance and Grain

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
File this question under A BAD BEAT.

Ok. So I need LOS to a vic hex to win game (and smoke doesn't count). My crucial LOS has +5 hindrance on it from grain. My opponent has hit (using a T34 in motion.. grrr) a halftrack in the crucial los... adding a wreck to the mix. But the wreck is in a grain hex. Two questions

1. Is wreck hindrance cumulative with grain hex. Making the hindrance +6 and removing the LOS?
2. Can you believe this s&#t?

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Yes and yes the hindrance is now +6 and I believe it cause this shit happens to me like every game. Yesterday I couldn't roll less than a 9. 4- 11s in a row type day. Can you move 1 hex either way to clear the LOS?

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im out of moves. My last MPh of the game is over. My position was brilliant.... he was going to have to kill himself to get to my tank with the winning LOS, instead he destroyed the los, with a luck shot.. ASL is a harsh mistress!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It is correct that two hindrances in a hex are generally cumulative, e. g. wrecks & vehicles [A6.7 EX], SMOKE [A24.2], and/or FFE together with terrain hindrances. Note however that SMOKE is cumulative only to a maximum +3 (+4 if in the viewer's hex) and wrecks & vehicles only a have a +1 hindrance regardless of the number of vehicles/wrecks in one hex [D9.4]. Doesn't help you though.

JR

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Ok. So I need LOS to a vic hex to win game (and smoke doesn't count). My crucial LOS has +5 hindrance on it from grain. My opponent has hit (using a T34 in motion.. grrr) a halftrack in the crucial los... adding a wreck to the mix. But the wreck is in a grain hex.
1. Is wreck hindrance cumulative with grain hex. Making the hindrance +6 and removing the LOS?
Yes, as per a Q&A in the compiled Q&A (search under A6.7)
2. Can you believe this s&#t?
Sure. Its ASL ain't it?
In this instance, it sux to be you....as much as a game with cardboard pieces can make one's life suck that is....

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The T-34 could easily have made the halftrack a burning wreck.
Which would - barring Heavy Winds - would generate +2 smoke hindrance rather than the wreck +1 hindrance.
An overkill in many senses.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hang on. If the halftrack was stopped, it was already a hindrance and the LOS was blocked. If it wasn't stopped, the moving T-34 hit a moving halftrack: +4 moving attacker, probably +1 BU--all T-34s except the T34/85 are RST, +2 moving target, +1 small target, meaning at best it was an unlikely critical hit (only a snakeyes hits), and if there were any more DRM then it was an improbable hit. But really, why go to all that trouble? Just drive the T-34 onto the LOS and stop. LOS blocked.

JR

Last edited:

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, as per a Q&A in the compiled Q&A (search under A6.7)

Sure. Its ASL ain't it?
In this instance, it sux to be you....as much as a game with cardboard pieces can make one's life suck that is....
Can you get me a link to that errata cause I cannot find it in Scott Romanowskis compilation, neither in Klas Malmstroms Q&A files or on MMP website.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Q&A (amongst the 1st Edition Q&As):
A6.7 Is an AFV hindrance cumulative with a terrain hindrance in the same hex?
A. Yes.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Can you get me a link to that errata cause I cannot find it in Scott Romanowskis compilation, neither in Klas Malmstroms Q&A files or on MMP website.
From the compiled Q&A from Klas' site (page 241 of 256 according to Acrobat Reader):
A6.7 Is an AFV hindrance cumulative with a
terrain hindrance in the same hex?
A. Yes. [Compil9]

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Nice....take 3 tanks in the wheatfields and just have all your INF walk right up behind them....I'll have to try this.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Nice....take 3 tanks in the wheatfields and just have all your INF walk right up behind them....I'll have to try this.
More than one AFV/wreck in a hex doesn't increase the hindrance level.
D9.4 AFV/WRECK LOS HINDRANCE: There is a +1 Hindrance DRM to a same-level LOS for firing through (not just into or out of) a hex containing one or more wrecks/AFV

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More than one AFV/wreck in a hex doesn't increase the hindrance level.
Similarly if the LOS crossed two hexes containing grain (for example) hindrances an equal distance from the firer and each (or one for that matter) contained a vehicle/wreck/smoke/etc., only one, the one with the highest hindrance modifiers, would be included in the LOF calculations.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Q&A (amongst the 1st Edition Q&As):
A6.7 Is an AFV hindrance cumulative with a terrain hindrance in the same hex?
A. Yes.
Why do the Smoke rules specify they are cumulative and yet the wreck rules do not?
Where is the specific wording?