WP and Flames in Buildings

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Question: A24.32 states that WP can cause a flame creation in a building. In a multi-level building, how do you determine which level the flame is on? Random Selection? If you roll for Random Selection and you roll doubles, do you create multiple flames?

If from indirect fire (MTR) can it effect all levels of a building?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question: A24.32 states that WP can cause a flame creation in a building. In a multi-level building, how do you determine which level the flame is on? Random Selection? If you roll for Random Selection and you roll doubles, do you create multiple flames?

Sounds reasonable to me. There should be a modifier for rooftops if in play as they seemed to go up before any other part of a building, at least in my (limited) experience with WP vs building structures.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(JMO) If you stated which level where you were going to place WP, and got the Kindle/Flame result, then that level should be where
the Kindle/Flame ends up.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Sounds reasonable to me. There should be a modifier for rooftops if in play as they seemed to go up before any other part of a building, at least in my (limited) experience with WP vs building structures.
Agreed but I don’t think there is. In ABTF 2nd Edition there will be Attics that are wooden (even on a Stone building). To keep it simple, the Attic will have a Kindling DR same as a Stone Building.
(JMO) If you stated which level where you were going to place WP, and got the Kindle/Flame result, then that level should be where
the Kindle/Flame ends up.
if direct fire or WP grenades… Agreed
The problem is with OBA or indirect fire (Mortar) which effects the entire hex.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I'm not sure that you can apply random selection unless the relevant rule specifically says so.

A.9 RANDOM SELECTION: Whenever an event occurs calling for the Random Selection of one or more units in a hex, a dr is made for each such unit therein.

A24.32 doesn't call for random selection so I don't believe that it applies. That being the case, I would play it that a mortar/OBA WP attack could potentially place a flame in every building location in the hex and a separate DR should be made for each of them in the same way that units in different locations will each take their own individual WP MC.

Last edited:

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure that you can apply random selection unless the relevant rule specifically says so.

A.9 RANDOM SELECTION: Whenever an event occurs calling for the Random Selection of one or more units in a hex, a dr is made for each such unit therein.

A24.32 doesn't call for random selection so I don't believe that it applies. That being the case, I would play it that a mortar/OBA WP attack could potentially place a flame IN every building location in the hex and a separate DR should be made for each of them in the same way that units in different locations will each take their own individual WP MC.
Did not think of that. Good call.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are two logical choices, where it hits and where it is placed. The rule is not clear.
I think that, given that the rule uses the term "WP hex" as opposed to "WP location", any building location that is hit by the WP should roll separately for possible flame creation. C3.4 would apply to direct fire using the ATT.

3.4 MULTIPLE TARGETS: A hit obtained on any TH Table affects only the target hex and, depending on the Target-Type/applicable-DRM, not necessarily all the occupants of that hex. Not all enemy (and Melee) potential targets in a hex/Location are always hit/affected, because some of them might be immune due to qualifying for TH/Effects DRM not applicable to others, being out of the firer's LOS, being too close (2.6) to be hit or in a Location immune to a hit, being non-moving during Defensive First Fire, etc. Hence one shot can result in a combination of hits/misses and varying subsequent effects.