Would you rather be lucky or good?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I was led to believe you almost always had to be one, in order to also be the other.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good--which in my mind means a good familiarity with the rules and the ability to employ them effectively.

But luck certainly makes things fun!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thinking about it:

I'd like both to be good and have luck - not necessarily always good luck.

It is satisfying to give a good game and pull out some good tricks and techniques, no doubt.
But luck - good luck and bad luck - is there for the emotions!

ASL ain't whole without the emotions that make the 'story' which we cherish about this game.

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
von Marwitz says "I'd like both to be good and have luck - not necessarily always good luck."

Thinking about it, I wouldn't want to have my good luck always ruin my opponent's experience.
Call me weird, but I want my opponent to enjoy the game as much as I do.
Yup .. or otherwise we will run out of opponents real soon.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One thing I learn from tourneys is to get your opponent to test Lady Luck as much as possible. So I will rather be good than to having to ask for her favor too much.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
von Marwitz says "I'd like both to be good and have luck - not necessarily always good luck."

Thinking about it, I wouldn't want to have my good luck always ruin my opponent's experience.
Call me weird, but I want my opponent to enjoy the game as much as I do.
I would go so far as to say I wouldn't want anything to ruin my opponent's experience. Otherwise, you have to play alone!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I quote Gary Player -

"The more I practice the luckier I get."
Gary played a game based almost entirely on skill. He controlled nearly everything (ball, clubs, address, grip, shot shape, etc). All those things he couldn't control (weather, course conditions, hole placement, etc) could be accounted for by proper application of skill. Nothing controls the dice. In ASL, it's possible to do EVERYTHING correct, the most skillful thing imaginable, and the dice will still SCREW you over. You can eek out all the DRM's you want, work your ass off to get to a position for just the shot you set up, and then dice. There is nothing you can do there, and if you are, you're cheating. No one said to Gary Player that hitting the ball 10 yards to the left to avoid the sand trap is illegal. In ASL, there is no "left" of the dice.

For me, that's the thing I hate the most about ASL. Doing everything right and then being fucked by dice. Of course, you can do everything wrong and be bailed out by dice, and I hate that even more. No lesson learned when the dice bail you out. The wrong lessons are learned when they fuck you over. -- jim

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
THAT. Jim nailed it.

In ASL, it's possible to do EVERYTHING correct, the most skillful thiing imaginable, and they dice will still SCREW you over. You can eek out all the DRM's you want, work your ass off to get to a position for just the shot you set up, and then dice. There is nothing you can do there, and if you are, you're cheating.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
That's another life lesson ASL teachs to those who are willing to learn.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Gary played a game based almost entirely on skill. He controlled nearly everything (ball, clubs, address, grip, shot shape, etc). All those things he couldn't control (weather, course conditions, hole placement, etc) could be accounted for by proper application of skill. Nothing controls the dice. In ASL, it's possible to do EVERYTHING correct, the most skillful thiing imaginable, and the dice will still SCREW you over. You can eek out all the DRM's you want, work your ass off to get to a position for just the shot you set up, and then dice. There is nothing you can do there, and if you are, you're cheating. No one said to Gary Player that hitting the ball 10 yards to the left to avoid the sand trap is illegal. In ASL, there is no "left" of the dice.

For me, that's the thing I hate the most about ASL. Doing everything right and then being fucked by dice. Of course, you can do everything wrong and be bailed out by dice, and I hate that even more. No lesson learned when the dice bail you out. The wrong lessons are learned when they fuck you over. -- jim
In the Star Trek Next Generation episode Peak Performance Data is talked into challenging the Stratogema grand master Sirna Kolrami to a game by Dr. Pulaski. Data loses the game and relieves himself of duty prior to the battle simulation Kolrami is there to observe. Picard confronts Data telling the android that he needs him on the bridge for the battle simulation against Riker. Data replies that he cannot because losing the game has shown that there must be a flaw in his systems as he fully expected to beat Kolrami.

Picard's answer is that it is possible to make no mistakes and still lose. " That's not a ......... ( flaw? ), that's just life. " ( can't recall the exact wording, still drinking first cup of javeine )

So I would say whenever the dice are unkind " that's just ASL ".

Btw Peak Performance is one of my four favorite episodes of STNG.

Doctor Pulaski and Troi inform Picard that Data has relieved himself of duty and that only Picard's intervention will get Data back on the bridge.

Picard: " Half an hour before a battle simulation and I have to hand hold an android ".

Pulaski: " The burdens of command ".🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lmfao I find that hilarious!!

I much preferred Pulaski over Doctor Crusher.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
In the Star Trek Next Generation episode Peak Performance Data is talked into challenging the Stratogema grand master Sirna Kolrami to a game by Dr. Pulaski. Data loses the game and relieves himself of duty prior to the battle simulation Kolrami is there to observe. Picard confronts Data telling the android that he needs him on the bridge for the battle simulation against Riker. Data replies that he cannot because losing the game has shown that there must be a flaw in his systems as he fully expected to beat Kolrami.

Picard's answer is that it is possible to make no mistakes and still lose. " That's not a ......... ( flaw? ), that's just life. " ( can't recall the exact wording, still drinking first cup of javeine )

So I would say whenever the dice are unkind " that's just ASL ".

Btw Peak Performance is one of my four favorite episodes of STNG.

Doctor Pulaski and Troi inform Picard that Data has relieved himself of duty and that only Picard's intervention will get Data back on the bridge.

Picard: " Half an hour before a battle simulation and I have to hand hold an android ".

Pulaski: " The burdens of command ".🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lmfao I find that hilarious!!

I much preferred Pulaski over Doctor Crusher.