Would you pay for official winterized maps from MMP ?

Would you pay for official winterized maps from MMP ?

• yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • no

Votes: 58 73.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Would I pay for winterized (or otherwise modified) maps, printed in the normal format? No - too little benefit, too many disadvantages (including, more storing problems).

What I might like, and pay for, if I had the setup for it (like a good, large-sized color printer - or a good copy shop that offered to print for reasonable costs), would be software that allowed to do the kind of map alterations that VASL allows (including winterization, and overlays), and output high-quality images at a size of my choosing - to print a specific map for a given scenario, typically, possibly with larger sized hexes, or whatever.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Would I pay for winterized (or otherwise modified) maps, printed in the normal format? No - too little benefit, too many disadvantages (including, more storing problems).

What I might like, and pay for, if I had the setup for it (like a good, large-sized color printer - or a good copy shop that offered to print for reasonable costs), would be software that allowed to do the kind of map alterations that VASL allows (including winterization, and overlays), and output high-quality images at a size of my choosing - to print a specific map for a given scenario, typically, possibly with larger sized hexes, or whatever.
All well within your reach. You just need to want it bad enough.

I got a printer that accepts 11x18 paper for ~$150 which allows you to print about a single geomorphic map at normal size, a bit more than half size at 134%. Create a single board scenario file on VASL with all the transformations/overlays and save the map image using the VASL utility. Read file into image processing software like Gimp or Photoshop. Print all maps to same zoom. I made physical maps for Battling Buckeyes (which IMMHO is unplayable with stock unmodified boards) using exactly this method.

If you want something, very often you just need to get up off the couch and get it done.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, I took Laurent's statement (that printing VASL maps didn't give high definition enough prints) at face value... but if VASL has them at a high enough definition, then, well, there's no real need for such variant maps.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I often print from VASL, then enlarge for some scenarios.

It’s just too much trouble to do all the time, though.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Well, I took Laurent's statement (that printing VASL maps didn't give high definition enough prints) at face value... but if VASL has them at a high enough definition, then, well, there's no real need for such variant maps.
<shrug> I do not see any of the image quality issues that Laurent claims to be seeing.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
No. But I would pay for "PTO-ized" boards that used different depictions for kunai, bamboo, jungle, etc., if someone could come up with a good scheme.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
No. But I would pay for "PTO-ized" boards that used different depictions for kunai, bamboo, jungle, etc., if someone could come up with a good scheme.
Dense jungle? Light? Roads removed or not? Is brush staying brush?

I love the idea but for even a cursory treatment of common PTO terrain combos it takes like 5-6 versions.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
PTO boards would be excellent, snow boards would be great too of course

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Dense jungle? Light? Roads removed or not? Is brush staying brush?

I love the idea but for even a cursory treatment of common PTO terrain combos it takes like 5-6 versions.
Roads versus no roads, and light versus dense jungle probably can be dealt with by SSR. It's the transpositions that always trip up my simple, aging mind: "Doh, it's not grain, it's kunai; it's not brush, it's bamboo..."

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Roads versus no roads, and light versus dense jungle probably can be dealt with by SSR. It's the transpositions that always trip up my simple, aging mind: "Doh, it's not grain, it's kunai; it's not brush, it's bamboo..."
The jungle types are inherent vs. non-inherent symbology. Ditto brush vs. bamboo. Those transformations are the most useful on VASL, IMO because they push the graphics to the hexsides. PTO is just so rife with slight variances that I feel like however you printed the boards it would always be wrong.