Would you pay for official winterized maps from MMP ?

Would you pay for official winterized maps from MMP ?

• yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • no

Votes: 58 73.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As much as I like winter scenarios, yes.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No.

Winterization is but one single change to the maps. Other possible changes of the terrain won't be covered. You'd need winterized overlays, too. You'd need a winterized version of all newly printed maps etc.

It is impracticable and the cost does outweigh the benefit IMHO.

You can get any map with all terrain alterations if you do a VASL setup and print that on 160 gram/m² paper. No extrordinary equipment needed to to that, nor significant effort. For most scenarios, you'll need 4 DIN-A-4 pages, so the cost would be around 20 Cents per scenario with the most expensive being the paper.

IIRC, one map bundle of 50 maps was around 250 USD. Now, we're close to 100 maps or even more plus the overlays, which would mean you're looking at some 500 USD (plus shipping plus customs...). Even taking the latter not into account, the print-it-yourself solution would last you at least 2000 scenarios. More than almost anyone can conceivably play of Winter stuff in a lifetime.

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
IIRC, one map bundle of 50 maps was around 250 USD. Now, we're close to 100 maps or even more plus the overlays, which would mean you're looking at some 500 USD (plus shipping plus customs...)
83 (1 pending: 77) standard, 9 "Fort" and 14 SK (3 PTO pending: m, n, o) = 106, throw in 10z and 17z and you have 108. I have seen images of another 4 "Fort", but not yet solidly tied to APs. Then what about the 12 DASL boards? That's just from MMP.

Then there are 1 FrF, 2 LFT and 32 BFP boards as well as 7 LFT DASL boards (more to come?). That comes to 143 0.8" hex boards and 19 DASL from all respectable ASL producers.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
83 (1 pending: 77) standard, 9 "Fort" and 14 SK (3 PTO pending: m, n, o) = 106, throw in 10z and 17z and you have 108. I have seen images of another 4 "Fort", but not yet solidly tied to APs. Then what about the 12 DASL boards? That's just from MMP.

Then there are 1 FrF, 2 LFT and 32 BFP boards as well as 7 LFT DASL boards (more to come?). That comes to 143 0.8" hex boards and 19 DASL from all respectable ASL producers.
"Always with the negative vibes Moriarty, always with the negative vibes" :):):)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

Winterization is but one single change to the maps. Other possible changes of the terrain won't be covered. You'd need winterized overlays, too. You'd need a winterized version of all newly printed maps etc.

You can get any map with all terrain alterations if you do a VASL setup and print that on 160 gram/m² paper. No extrordinary equipment needed to to that, nor significant effort. For most scenarios, you'll need 4 DIN-A-4 pages, so the cost would be around 20 Cents per scenario with the most expensive being the paper.

IIRC, one map bundle of 50 maps was around 250 USD. Now, we're close to 100 maps or even more plus the overlays, which would mean you're looking at some 500 USD (plus shipping plus customs...). Even taking the latter not into account, the print-it-yourself solution would last you at least 2000 scenarios. More than almost anyone can conceivably play of Winter stuff in a lifetime.

von Marwitz
100% agree with this. If you truly want winterized maps, for a scenario to play on, VASL is the way to go.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Let not MMP follow in thy evil ways of CH, unless we all be broke, spent and dying on the vine, left in the snowy wastes as the sun shines down to warm our dead carcasses and our souls slip into the future of eternity....

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Disappointed at the response here, I'm surprised I thought everyone would want winter boards (I know I do)

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
(Number of games I play) - (Number I play on VASL) - (Number I play on other people's kit) - (Number I play on non-MMP boards) - (Number I play with no snow rules in effect) = Not enough to drop a pile of money for boards that look a little bit cooler.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Disappointed at the response here, I'm surprised I thought everyone would want winter boards (I know I do)
It's all about the Benjamin's.

I know most spend/ have spent a lot on ASL but this would truly just be a collector's 'gotta have everything' endeavor. Sorry.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No its a ridiculous Idea. Vasal-ize (as stated before) the generic boards if you really _NEED_ winter boards. indeed if that's the case I'm sure that you could find some local printer who could help you make high quality professionally printed personal custom winterized map boards that look and feel exactly like the official MMP map boards. After all if you want to spend the money you can copy for personal use ONLY almost anything with out copyright violation, at least that's my understanding.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

von Marwitz
DebbieDowner.jpeg

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Not a lot. 25¢ per? Perhaps. $1 per? Probably not. Plus you'd have to carry them with your kit on field maneuvers. That or you would only use them at home.

Now if you put a knob on the boards so I could turn the "winter" up, then you might have something.

JR

Last edited: