Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From BFC:

Steve: CM:SF is used a bit by the US military officially and unofficially. Very niche, unlike Steel Beasts and VBS2. CM:SF has three major "deficiencies" that are holding it back from more widespread interest by the military:

1. The player has too many hats to wear. The military is very used to thinking in terms of "roles" and appears to find it difficult to comprehend how to use a game like CM:SF to its best effect with more traditional classroom training. CoPlay would fix this very well, but we're not in a position to invest in that yet.

2. Lack of "tools" for a more structured learning environment. This includes things like the student setting up his own OPORD/FRAGORD at the beginning, more detailed AARs, and other statistical features which would allow for better grading of the student's performance. These features are very easy for us to add, but time consuming and generally not something non-military customers would care about.

3. Full game replay, with some features like "book marking" particular points of interest so the instructor can get back specific points of the battle easily. Obviously this is a feature that is of interest to all CM players, but at present we don't think it's possible for us to do it in a way that has much practical appeal to regular gamers (i.e. we think a dedicated computer has to be networked to record the play).

These features would make one Hell of a training tool for the military to use. Unfortunately, without military funding to hire more programming help we don't see any of this happening soon. The features are either too much for us to bite off right now with just Charles at the helm. Eventually we'll get there, but not because the military wants this stuff. We'll get there because these are (mostly) things you guys want and we feel give us a commercial benefit.

Steve

Steve: Full game replay would likely require some sort of recording client on an independent computer as far as we can tell. This isn't too much of a technical problem, rather a time consumption one. We have a lot of features that are also high up on peoples' wish lists that could be added easier and with more certainty of success.

Yes, the military could hand write stuff, use real radios (or phones), and other things to work around "limitations" within the game. However, this increases the amount of imagination necessary for someone at the higher end of the decision making spectrum. That's where we have always run into problems. Therefore, the more obviously tailored for a classroom environment CM is, the more likely we can get some attention.

The thing is we've known for years now that a military contract with an R&D element is almost impossible to get. One military contractor (who loves CM) described the chances of a small developer like us getting hit by lightning as slightly better than getting a contract. It's really sad, since a fairly modest amount of money thrown our way would yield one Hell of a battalion leadership trainer. Oh, and we could deliver it quickly too, not in years like so many other projects out there.

Our plan is to eventually have all the significant features the military really wants (mostly CoPlay related) in the game for commercial reasons anyhow. It's just that if someone with the right pull could offer us a modest contract now we could do everything sooner for both the military and you guys. Failing that, we just keep on doing what we've always planned on doing. Since we are quite happy with how things are going, it's not a bad thing :D

Steve

Normal Dude: Write your congressman folks.

SlapHappy: I find it difficult to believe that CM's attention to realism doesn't attract more military attention.

Not saying it isn't so - I just find it hard to believe.

Steve: It has attracted a lot of attention. The problem is guys in $5000 suits with bags full of money attract more :upset:

Steve

Could it possibly be that the military has seen how Steve and company talk to their customers on their own forum and concluded that guys with $5000 suits have a proven track record of success that exceeds two dudes in a barn somewhere in New England squatting atop an M29 Weasel with a lacklustre video-game franchise under their belts and no real-world military experience to speak of?

I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark here.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where Steve is wrong is the DoD actually looks at SW that it can use to teach. For all POA2's initial issues, it does exactly what the DoD wanted. HPS is smaller than BFC. CM fans should hope CM doesn't go military. Suddenly the wishlist is driven by the army, not gamers.

Steve is actually right about the faults of CM from a training perspective. It is a hybrid of sorts. The military doesn't expect its commanders to be squad leaders. It does expect them to manage the battle not just from a tactical perspective, but logistics and inter-arm cooperation. CMSF has niether of those. At least CM1 taught some historical lessons. CMSF has none of that.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Where Steve is wrong is the DoD actually looks at SW that it can use to teach. For all POA2's initial issues, it does exactly what the DoD wanted. HPS is smaller than BFC. CM fans should hope CM doesn't go military. Suddenly the wishlist is driven by the army, not gamers.

Steve is actually right about the faults of CM from a training perspective. It is a hybrid of sorts. The military doesn't expect its commanders to be squad leaders. It does expect them to manage the battle not just from a tactical perspective, but logistics and inter-arm cooperation. CMSF has niether of those. At least CM1 taught some historical lessons. CMSF has none of that.
The latter explains why the Australian military purchased CM:AK. CM:SF has nothing going for it in that regards.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
CMSF could be used as a very basic squad and platoon leader training tool. Ive said this before, but as a guide to positioning a gun group and an assault group it would probably do just fine.

The trouble is that at that level its way more beneficial to actually spend the same amount of time on the ground doing the same things for real with the same men your going to do them with.

I got the feeling from Steves statement that they were very dissapointed not to get some kind of military work. Its maybe the first admission from them that perhaps thats what SF aimed at all along.

Now as a wargame for military enthusiasts and wargamers SF is probably the best around for scope and scale right now (thats Platoon and Squad based action).

BF however still seem to be in a quandry about what type of gamer they want to attract as their core. If the military wont buy it and its too complicated for the point and click RT gamers then that leaves traditional wargame types. I got a bit of a knock back over there by some guys when I said that WEGO was much better for a wargame than RT over a certain size (the size being when you cant see your own forces easily). Some seem to lack comprehension between real life and wargaming for wargamings sake.

We shall see what direction BF goes in now, its seems to be swinging towards WEGO again. One thing is for sure, they cant afford and cockups with their next title, or as Leto says, they may very well be toast.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even with all of Steve's defensiveness, it still comes through they realize now that they alienated thier traditionally strongest supporters. A lot of the recent changes are obviously aimed at getting some of them back. I really think that irritates Steve and Moon to no end.

You want to see what a military/commercial hybrid wargame looks like, look at POA2. It came out as an obvious success for the air force, but a release disaster for a wargame. It took almost a year to get it right by HPS. But its features are driven by the military. Wargamer's needs are always secondary. But POA2 has every bell and whistle you can imagine. It is extremely realistic (and WEGO in fact), but can be very tedious.

A reviewer said that Steve and Moon bragged to him about how they were going to win all these big DoD contracts. Steve denies he said that, but I think his Freudien slip was showing. Looking at setting, focus on MOUT, unconventional warfare, and programming focus, its obvious to me that they saw companies like HPS getting on the gravy train and wanted part of it. Thats kind of why the poor release and pissing of the customer base didn't seem all that big a deal to them at the time.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
CMSF could be used as a very basic squad and platoon leader training tool. Ive said this before, but as a guide to positioning a gun group and an assault group it would probably do just fine.

The trouble is that at that level its way more beneficial to actually spend the same amount of time on the ground doing the same things for real with the same men your going to do them with.

I got the feeling from Steves statement that they were very dissapointed not to get some kind of military work. Its maybe the first admission from them that perhaps thats what SF aimed at all along.

Now as a wargame for military enthusiasts and wargamers SF is probably the best around for scope and scale right now (thats Platoon and Squad based action).
I think in any category or area you care to name, there is another game that does what CM:SF does better.

Let's look at just one example: flanking fire. This ties in to the guys in the $5000 suits, by the way.

When Brothers in Arms came out, John Antal came out and did a great video demo showing how in the game, you had to play this came with an eye to doing two things - fixing the enemy, and flanking him. I've played it myself, and it actually gets kind of repetitive - it is, after all, a first person shooter. WBRP brought up this point in a conversation with me after a day of ASL this week, actually - how many games actually give bonuses for flanking fire?

Well, BiA made it so that the point of the entire game was to find a flank. Do we see it in any of the so-called "most realistic squad-based games ever made"? There are encirclement rules in ASL, but as WBRP reminded me, no facing rules in ASL. Naturally, such things would be cumbersome on top of an already heavily layered game. But that's what computers are for.

Is flanking fire modeled in CM:SF? I get the feeling it is "kinda-sorta" in there somewhere, somehow, if only by accident. But if there are more severe morale penalties beyond just the physical effects of getting hit with enfilading fire, I honestly don't know.

Now, I'm not saying there is a single game that ties every single thing together in one perfect package, but any real world feature you care to name in CM:SF, there is probably another game out there that does it better. Steve partially admits it with his reference to Steel Beasts.

Last edited:

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
Attention to realism? I must remember that the next time I have a squad circling a building looking for a door. The infantry component is it's weak point, and for armour modelling you already have SB. What Steve didn't mention is proper modelling of field fortifications. You can't call CMSF realistic when you can spot defensive positions a mile away.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Attention to realism? I must remember that the next time I have a squad circling a building looking for a door. The infantry component is it's weak point, and for armour modelling you already have SB. What Steve didn't mention is proper modelling of field fortifications. You can't call CMSF realistic when you can spot defensive positions a mile away.
Or can't dig a shellscrape in a two-hour scenario.

Or can't crawl under barbed wire.

Or can't mousehole.

Or attack a building from the top down, as per the MOUT manual.

Or can't string barbed wire at all for that matter.

Or get the guys to fire "controlled pairs" (double tap) in room clearing drills per the same manual...

Can't climb a chain link fence. Or jump over a stone wall.

Or...

:devious:

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And so!

What will cm-2 bring to ww2? Are the game mechanics much more suited to a ww2 setting? Or will it be more of the same sort of complaint.

What actually made CM a good game. Mechanics, QBs, history, 3D or a combination of a lot of things. For CM wasnt perfect or even finished.

I'm curious to know what you all think here.

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
Maneuver. You can shift a squad around better in the face of bolt action rifles than semi automatic rifles. You can poke the nose of a Sherman where it shouldn't be poked and still hope to pull it out of harms way if required. More room for adventure, and less repetitive precision.

And specific to the game, QB's that release your imagination rather than putting a ball and chain on it. Campaigns that make you care about your pixeltruppen. Proper field fortifications with spotting limitations.*

*may turn out to be wishful thinking

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I purchased CM:SF when it first came out, I guess in the vain hope that it would be fun even though the period didn't interest me that much. When I found out that it wasn't even playable I gave up on it and haven't played it since.

I won't make that mistake again, and I am guessing I am not the only person with that attitude. Battlefronts attitude since the the release of CM:SF has only made me more certain of that position. Only after CM2 WWII is released and thoroughly vetted will I even think of purchasing it.

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I purchased CM:SF when it first came out, I guess in the vain hope that it would be fun even though the period didn't interest me that much. When I found out that it wasn't even playable I gave up on it and haven't played it since.

I won't make that mistake again, and I am guessing I am not the only person with that attitude. Battlefronts attitude since the the release of CM:SF has only made me more certain of that position. Only after CM2 WWII is released and thoroughly vetted will I even think of purchasing it.
Hi RM,

Long time, no see. Update SF to 1.11 and see what you think of it.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi RM,

Long time, no see. Update SF to 1.11 and see what you think of it.
Yea, I am a lame bastard. I tend to appear and disappear, which is the story of my life. But for some reason I keep coming back to CM.

I will probably eventually try SF again. Do you really think it is playable now? The last time I tried it was 1.02 and it was no better than an alpha release at that point in my opinion.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Downloaded and installed the latest patches to CM:SF and couldn't even get it to run on my computer.

I posted my problem on the CM:SF Tech Support forum:

I haven't played CM:SF since 1.02. Downloaded and installed 1.10 and 1.11 today and tried to run CM:SF and got an error box with the message:

Could not initiate OpenGl graphics. Please update your OpenGL drivers.

Closing the error box is my only option, CM:SF will not run.

I have an Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT graphics card with 512 MB of video ram with the latest Nvidia drivers 180.48 dated 11/19/08, version 6.14.11.8048 running on Windows XP service pack 3. I have no other programs running except McAfee virus scanner.
It will be interesting to see how the issue is resolved.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
And so!

What will cm-2 bring to ww2? Are the game mechanics much more suited to a ww2 setting? Or will it be more of the same sort of complaint.

What actually made CM a good game. Mechanics, QBs, history, 3D or a combination of a lot of things. For CM wasnt perfect or even finished.

I'm curious to know what you all think here.
The abstraction was appropriate to the game scale. It hid what you weren't supposed to see, and let you use your imagination when clearly you needed to. There was also the promise of more, and better. That's the key to the current disappointment. CMX2 IS the "more and better". This is it. It doesn't get better than this. They're working in three directions at once, now. They're working in reverse to retrofit the stuff they never should have changed (QBs, now, for one major one, also random maps) and at the same time trying to catch up to stuff they used to have but don't (wire, water, bridges, roadblocks), and trying to move forward into stuff they never had but want to get into (improved artillery procedures, for example).

They have no game plan. They never did, or if they did, it's been shot to pieces on contact with the enemy. It's stacked up in the barn beside those now useless mousepads with the hotkey assignments printed on them.

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately I have a Nvidia card, not an ATI card and I am using XP not Vista as is discussed in that thread, but thanks for the link.
Maybe the Open Gl drivers are downloaded separately from the vid card drivers? Probably not though. That wouldn't make much sense.