Would you consider "The Longest Day" a classic film?

Sarjent Mike

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
I also saw this movie, in a theater, when I was about 10-years-old. The greatest war movie of all time, in my opinion. A classic. I thought Red Buttons was stupid (hanging by a belfry and deafened by the noise of the bells,) but I loved it then and love it now.

The Longest Day has sparked a lifelong interest in everything dealing with WW II, AND ASL!

And how in God's name did William Shatner get thrown into this discussion?! WTH!? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Kirk shot first and asked questions later, and slept around with all the attractive blondes in the universe, (Picard was such a touchy-feely wimp) but his inclusion in the discussion of The Longest Day is a bit off topic even for THIS thread!

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You realize when you do things like this, it gives Jeff DY ideas? And those ideas translate into my torment when we FTF ASL? And that I'm actually beginning to think that Shatner is a good singer?

Horrendous stuff that....

Mark DV
Ada, MI
I know! Suffer beyotch! :devil:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I have been watching this about twice a year ever since getting it on a VHS tape. One of my favorites. My favorite scene is Jeffrey Hunter's quick field promotion as he moved those bangalore torpedos and DC's forward. I credit this film and Combat for my interest in the German language also.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have been watching this about twice a year ever since getting it on a VHS tape. One of my favorites. My favorite scene is Jeffrey Hunter's quick field promotion as he moved those bangalore torpedos and DC's forward. I credit this film and Combat for my interest in the German language also.
VHS? 21st Century calling Ray, line 2! :p

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The Duke would kick ass(even with a broken appendage) on all "the best" Canada has to offer...

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Duke would kick ass(even with a broken appendage) on all "the best" Canada has to offer...
All right, you've gone too far. Mock Canada, mock Captain Kirk, but nobody mocks Neil!

Prepare for one of my favourite scenes from Repo Man:
[video=youtube;-uv_WGEHr4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uv_WGEHr4I[/video]

So how come Hollywood actor Marion Morrison never managed to get into the fight in World War II? Jimmy Stewart was just as conservative politically, but he had the stones to fly B-24's over Germany, while Wayne always had to finish just one more picture before he enlisted. If Wayne were alive today, he'd be just another big talking keyboard kommando without the guts to live up to his talk.

Jockster

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it's garbage
And did the first time I saw it
I hate cheesy sh1te and always have
Cross of Iron was everything to me a war film should be...and the first war film I ever saw which actually 100% fulfilled me
One of the worst war movies ever. No real acting, just cameo appearences by a bunch of big stars that wanted to be in the big war movie. No continuity, just jumping from star to star to get their shot in. ABTF was almost as bad. The reason this is considered a classic is because of the big names and the huge amount of cash that went into it. Battle of the Bulge was ten times the movie this was. And of course Cross of Iron is my all time favorite.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought I read somewhere that John Wayne visited some island in the Pacific in WW II and the Marines or Soldiers actually booed him for glamorizing the the war to ridiculous levels in his movies.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought I read somewhere that John Wayne visited some island in the Pacific in WW II and the Marines or Soldiers actually booed him for glamorizing the the war to ridiculous levels in his movies.
Could you be thinking of Vietnam and The Green Berets? I remember reading several memoirs years ago by former Green Berets laughing their ass off when the film came out.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I just gave about 100 VHS tapes of all my favorite films to a charity shop. Yup, 21st Century calling! sigh.
I've still got a few dozen VHS tapes. Some movies haven't been made available on DVD yet.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This film blew me away when I first saw it at the age of about 10. It sort of summed up my interest in war. I know its a bit cliched and old fashioned; but isn't it a great film?

Have not seen it in years now. But I remember much of it well. Is it a classic war film?
Absolutely a classic movie. I like these old b/w bockbusters (i think there is a colorized version available).

Today you couldn´t realize that movie...Think about the costs alone for that bunch of world class actors :nuts:

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw another movie from this era/genre on Netflix the other day (instant-watch variety) - "Go for Broke" - about the 442nd. Equally campy, and fun in that way.

-N