Would you buy DA 2 if it were available?

Would you buy DA2 if it existed?

• Yes! I love DA and I would like to see it grow.

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Maybe. It would have to be a big improvement for me to buy a second edition.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No, but I would buy add-on disks if they were available.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I would not be interested.

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm curious much much enthusiasm there is for expanding the civilian version of DA. If Jim were to release an updated version of DA with some enhancements to the interface, more editor options, etc, would you buy it? Is there any interest in "DA2?"

MDFeingold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DA was a game that I REALLY wanted to love. I was, frankly, disappointed with it for a variety of reasons. Having said that, I applaud Col.Lunsford's efforts to bring a more authentic portrayal of military operations, even if the execution was IMHO lacking. I also recognize that he has made a number of welcome improvements in subsequent years. I voted "maybe" in the poll because, as I noted in the recent thread I started re: my own sim project, I would look/hope for DA 2.0 to expand on the realism and detail. I would also be inclined to buy it, because I believe in supporting developers in this very non-lucrative market. If someone were to publish the "perfect" sim, I would be willing to pay much more than $30-50 (and not just out of charitable motives). If the term "civilian version" in the polled question means less realism, however, then I would not purchase it.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enhanced game options would be icing on the cake. I'd purchase and be satisfied with accurate OOB's and maps for cold war and post cold war scenerios. Some of the toys the professionals use would be interesting and fun to experiment with.

Count me in, I'd purchase a new version.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
MDFeingold said:
If the term "civilian version" in the polled question means less realism, however, then I would not purchase it.
No, I didn't mean to imply that a civilian version would be less realistic than the version used by the Army, but there are some things that the Army uses for training purposes that may not add to the fun factor of a wargame. We already have a situation where there are two different versions being used, and it is unclear whether there will be continued development of the civilain version or not.

I would like to see the civilian version continue to grow and be supported, but I also understand that it may not be lucrative enough for Jim to continue supporting it as it has such a small fan base.

Would you buy scenario disks if they were available?

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mr. Maddox:

If the scenerio pack contains usable maps and accurate OOB's for Nato central front, Korea, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Taiwan etc. I will be one of the first purchasers.

IntelGuy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would buy it...

I would buy it, if it contained most of the features I miss in DA right now.
DA 2 must at least have a zoomable map and some kind of overview map. And I really need better visualization of the command structure of my units. I am thinking of something like in POA2; when I click on an HQ lines are drawn to all subordinate units
These are only the major points that in my opinion need improvement.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Never mind DA2, what happened to the latest build of DA(1) that was supposed to be appearing on the HPS site.

I would buy DA2 if it was sufficently enhanced over DA1 Such things as clearing chain of command and zoomable maps.

Gary