Worst War Movie Ending

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I vote for the final boss battle in Battle of the Bulge where US troops stop the German "Tiger tanks" by rolling barrels of fuel downhill. That final shot of Robert Shaw screaming in terror because he sees this barrel tumbling towards him is idiotic. Also at the end of the movie you see the Germans "retreating from the Ardennes". This was filmed in desert terrain in New Mexico or something. Whatever it was, it looks like the borrowed the location from one of Clint Eastwood's western movies and put the Germans in there.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
what tanks did they use in the movie? patton's or lighter tanks? that movie sucks considering what could have been done with it.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The end of the German "Stalingrad" movie is pretty bad, too.

I usually turn it off when they miss the plane.

Last edited:

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
the battle of the bulge was shot in spain iirc.....they used patton's for the germans and eeehmmmm m24's as americans. and telly savalas driving an open topped one .

but overall in any war movie poll the battle of the bulge comes out as the worst, doesnt it?

overall i like stalingrad, never found the fact that they missed the plane annoying.

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello again. I'm back from vacation.

Monster, you are very close. The movie Battle of the Bulge was shot on Spain... as Clint Eastwood's western movies.

About the film historical accuracy I quote from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058947/trivia

"This film was denounced by former President (and Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during WW2) Dwight Eisenhower soon after its release in a press conference due to its glaring historical inaccuracies"

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to throw my chips in, I felt that the very ending of Full Metal Jacket was corny where they were marching and chanting the Mickey Mouse theme song. Struck me as out of place with the mood of the rest of the movie. Maybe there's a bit of truth to that silliness, but it didn't seem to fit with everything else.

Kaki

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Redwolf said:

I usually turn it off when then miss the plane.
Funny. I think that´s when the movie really starts.

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've gotta agree on "the Battle of the Bulge" "Patton" in my mind ranks up there just because they used Pattons for the German tanks, and M24's for the Allied. They also had the Germans riding in M-3 halftracks, too. Does "Operation friggin' Dumbo Drop" even count?? :p

It seems now that movie producers are able to at least get reasonable facsimiles of the historical vehicles, if now actual working models. "A Bridge Too Far" was one of the first in my memory that actually used M-4 Shermans as (gasp!) M-4 shermans. The Nazi tank in Arnhem was suspicious, tho. I think that was actually an early model Leopard, if I'm not mistaken.
So then how did Spielberg and Hanks get their paws on a Tiger, and Stg (I tried spelling it out but that didn't work!)?? you would think as time passes, these things would get harder and harder to find, eh?

Pheno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Käki said:
Funny. I think that´s when the movie really starts.
I agree with you, but it has a sad ending - some people don't like those ;)

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
jthomas said:
and Stg (I tried spelling it out but that didn't work!)
It's a StuG and short for Sturmgeschütz /assault gun

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jthomas said:
I've gotta agree on "the Battle of the Bulge" "Patton" in my mind ranks up there just because they used Pattons for the German tanks, and M24's for the Allied. They also had the Germans riding in M-3 halftracks, too. Does "Operation friggin' Dumbo Drop" even count?? :p

It seems now that movie producers are able to at least get reasonable facsimiles of the historical vehicles, if now actual working models. "A Bridge Too Far" was one of the first in my memory that actually used M-4 Shermans as (gasp!) M-4 shermans. The Nazi tank in Arnhem was suspicious, tho. I think that was actually an early model Leopard, if I'm not mistaken.
So then how did Spielberg and Hanks get their paws on a Tiger, and Stg (I tried spelling it out but that didn't work!)?? you would think as time passes, these things would get harder and harder to find, eh?
Considering when 'Patton' was filmed the movie is excellent, orginal German equipment in numbers is about impossible to find. In 'Saving Private Ryan' they used mock ups and CGI, IIRC; instead of actual vechiles. But back to the topic of 'Patton' the movie is excellent and the equipment being wrong is very minor, IMHO.

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree, the ending for that Battle of the Bulge was just wierd, especially the bit where they go all Rambo like and kill hordes of Skorzeni's men (the ones disguised as US infantrymen) at the fuel dump prior to stopping the King Tigers. It would have been so much better if the script writers decided to go for historical accuracy rather than turn it into another war/action flick.

Tim McBride wrote:
In 'Saving Private Ryan' they used mock ups and CGI, IIRC;

They used a T-34 which they disguised (very well I might add) as a Tiger tank for that movie (you can tell during the closeups on the tracks and wheels). There's also another 'Tiger' tank in existence which used a T-55 rather than a T-34 but I'm not sure if it was used in the movie.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the SPR AFVs looked pretty good.

Band of Brother's mockups were more numerous but some of them pretty unconvincing, e.g. the Jagdpanther.

Also the fact that Jagdpanthers get scared away by Shermans in June 1944 :)

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Redwolf said:
I think the SPR AFVs looked pretty good.

Band of Brother's mockups were more numerous but some of them pretty unconvincing, e.g. the Jagdpanther.

Also the fact that Jagdpanthers get scared away by Shermans in June 1944 :)
I was annoyed at seeing the Jpz (ie - an open topped tank destroyer) being driven through a built up area. Not a very good way of using this machine.

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the mutual aid! I'll admit I was too lazy to go look it up.

Tim- Regarding "Patton"- I would have to agree that maybe WHEN it was filmed has has much as anything to do with my aversion to it ("dislike" is too strong). In the late '60s early 70's they tended to stylize stuff- like the speech in front of the huge American flag. Did that actually happen? the flag, I mean. Also, IMHO, when they try to catch the whole sweep of the war in a single film, some things are going to suffer-technical details being among the first.
Anyway, to each his own.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Redwolf said:

I usually turn it off when they miss the plane.
The movie is just great and I thing the end is not bad at all.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Stalingrad was good - best part is when the battalion commander gives a poor chap a grenade, a man whose gun accidentally went off and alerted a Russian MG, telling him: this is your chance to redeem yourself Schmidt (or something like that)... That guy's face is unpayable.

Wasn't there another Stalingrad movie... 'ihr sollt wie Hunde sterben', or something, from the 50's....also brutal but more in the "gentlemanny" fashion of those days... :rolleyes: