Worst rule sections

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are the "common" (e.g. not Panji obscure rules) rule sections that you groan when you have to apply them?

I dislike the Prisoner rules (for the effect escaped prisoners have on the game), Wall Advantage (too much buck for way too little bang), and spreading flame (DR after DR after DR after DR . . . .).

Perhaps the number one is the WC dr that takes all your smoke and drifts it in the wrong direction. So many counters on the board that you can't figure out where anything is. Stacks everywhere, falling over.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Chapter A:
- CC Reaction fire / Street Fighting complex (Can never wrap my head around this.)
- Prisoners (...)
- HW Direction buisness (They should run, but figuring direction makes 'em crawl...)

Chapter B:
- Bocage (Learned that by TPP articles...)

Chapter C:
- OBA (Thank gawd, there's the flowchart...)

Chapter D:
- Moving, Motion, Stopped, Non-Stopped (Fit to confuse the world...)
- OVR (Again, thank gawd for the flowchart...)

von Marwitz

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
+1 to spreading fire. Simple, but tedious.
+1 to human wave. I'm not sure we play it correctly but I'm not sure I care; it looks like a human wave to us.

My own groaners:
B.1 & B.2 Never seem to help resolve a question
C11.2-.52

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A.2
In friendly play, and where possible, we usually correct the error rather than let it stand.

Depending upon the opponent, I'm often open to making certain corrections during competitive play, especially if they involve a major unit/weapon. Weapon repair is a common example.

However, nothing ruins a scenario like having to apply A.2 because your opponent has done the same thing earlier, especially wrt some minor ASOP misstep. I realize that some people are sticklers for this at tournaments. It's always a good idea to confirm this at the outset.

A26.212
Calculating Exit VP of AFV during play tend to slow the pace down as the RB is consulted. I prefer scenario VC that assign a set VP value to AFV (not unlike DVP in DTO).

B25. Fire in general.
Spreading fire is tedious not only due to the number of DR required, but also due to my need to consult the Kindling Numbers of different terrain types. I usually consult a table only a couple times per scenario. Spreading Fire can force me to use a table every turn. Bottom line, it slows down play, often without any real impact on the scenario. (Bucket list: all that fire and no falling burning rubble.)

C10.
Towing/Hooking/Unhooking/Limbering Guns = rules dive.

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
residual fire... hate it...people tend to remember to use when they need it but forget otherwise...imo

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
The rule section you can't find because someone is using an abbreviation not found in the Index.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
... Especially when that rule section turns out to be a section that comes in a module you don't own.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Like Brian W, prisoners, fire, and wall advantage

And the hillock section that contaminated the railroad section like a virus :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Air support. Common enough to be used fairly regularly - uncommon enough I always have to re-read it before playing a game with planes in it.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its kind of peculiar the different rules sections that give each other fits. Some have a lot of problems with OBA. I never have to look at the OBA flow chart unless a really weird situation arises. Jon mentioned Air Support. I have no problems with that except for aerial combat or dogfighting, which in all the years I've played has occurred once. For me, I just can't grab the night rules. I LOATHE them. We will play a CG and agree beforehand that neither of us will declare a night attack. I know that changes the balance, but I'd rather have fun losing, than have a PITA winning...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A23. DC Rules that allow 'Zid to attack upon the placement of the DC even though the rules for RFP clearly states that it attacks after an action has been completed.

C3.41 That allows one to target "a:thumbsdown: unarmored-target/unmanned-Gun/building/bridge/vehicle, ...." Then somewhere or somehow one is supposed to add a +2TH DRM because there is no valid target in the Location [EXC: Of course a bridge, which magically is something else and able to be targeted after all]. Where the +2TH DRM for firing at such targets originates, confounds me as I haven't found it in the rules or does it also apply to shots at an unarmored-target/unmanned-Gun and bridges as well?

CAVES! Well, they're just a big hole to me (a total mystery).

AH, but it is a game I love!

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Its kind of peculiar the different rules sections that give each other fits. Some have a lot of problems with OBA. I never have to look at the OBA flow chart unless a really weird situation arises. Jon mentioned Air Support. I have no problems with that except for aerial combat or dogfighting, which in all the years I've played has occurred once. For me, I just can't grab the night rules. I LOATHE them. We will play a CG and agree beforehand that neither of us will declare a night attack. I know that changes the balance, but I'd rather have fun losing, than have a PITA winning...
I would also agree. And then launch a night attack

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
OMG !! that is like going out with 2 ten's and just admiring their eyes.

Talk about missing out !