Worst Case Scenario - Gulf War II

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Probably because the WTC wasn't hit at the bottom but more to the top. So once the structure collapsed and the tip of the WTC fell down on the floores below the impact the weight of the tip was pushing on the floors below, collapsing them and so on.

If one had wanted to tip over the WTC the attack had to be at the lower floors so that the part of the WTC above the impact could fell over to one side.

Similar to chopping off a tree.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, but....

Hello Kraut,

Yes, but don't you think such force the planes crashed into the twin towers would have caused them to shake? I've never been there, so I don't know how these people must have felt during that terrible hour.

I guess America do know how to build skyscrapers to last!

Way to go, America! :D

Dan

Old Eagle

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Kraut
Probably because the WTC wasn't hit at the bottom but more to the top. So once the structure collapsed and the tip of the WTC fell down on the floores below the impact the weight of the tip was pushing on the floors below, collapsing them and so on.

If one had wanted to tip over the WTC the attack had to be at the lower floors so that the part of the WTC above the impact could fell over to one side.

Similar to chopping off a tree.
Can we be sure the buildings didn't do exactly as designed? The floors collapsing on top of one another, caused a lot less death and destruction, than if the Towers tilted over into the city....I think.

Tzar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Yes, but....

Originally posted by Cheetah772
Hello Kraut,

Yes, but don't you think such force the planes crashed into the twin towers would have caused them to shake? I've never been there, so I don't know how these people must have felt during that terrible hour.

Dan
Indeed, it probably shook as hell, especially above the point of impact. The floors closer to the ground probably were less shooked. Old Eagle is right, I remember having seen some TV show where engineers explained that all large skyscrapers are built so that they cannot tilt sideways and then fall on the side. The beams would rather rupture immediately than bent.

There was no chance that the WTC would tilt. It first withstood the impact of the plane crash. And then, as soon as the fire melted enough the beams supporting the 3 or 4 floors of the point of impact, these beams ruptured, pulling with them all the rest of the top floors in a descent. You can see that clearly in slow motion when they show the towers collapsing vertically. All the floors are exploding one after another and the whole thing is going down.