World War One - new scenario

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Not yet posted on any sites, including this one, as I'd appreciate any comments from Forum regulars, having learned my lesson about rushing into these things. Playtested against Jason ('Raver') and vastly improved as a result, so should be bug-free and reasonably balanced.

World War One in Europe, Army level, map covers from France to the Urals, and St. Petersburg to North Africa. August 1914 - November 1918 in fifty-two one month turns, PO for both sides but, as ever, better against a human opponent. Largely an infantry slogging match, but 'chrome' in the form of a variable for the Russian and subsequent Bolshevik Revolutions; the effects of the Entente blockade; navies; gas; planes; tanks; stormtroopers; special Offensives; Greek coup; Arab rebellions and the French mutinies.

Doesn't need any special database, I'd be grateful if anyone has got time to take a quick look before I stick it on the scenario sites.

Cheers

View attachment 37594View attachment 37595

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
On a first glance... given the broad scope of the scenario probably is best to change units status from untried to veteran.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
I'm listening - certainly the starting armies, and all of the garrisons, forts, navies and air units, if maybe not the reserves that mobilise during the game. Keep it coming.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Made a few more adjustments and posted this on the scenario download section. Any comments welcome. World War One in a single evening's play!

Cfant

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Hi!

I played the scenario this evening as the Central Powers. Was fun! :) Well, still 20 turns to go, but time for a few comments :)

* don't know if it's a scenario-issue or hard coded, but the Entente lost 6-10 fleets by attacking Triest. The kuk Navy hat the time of it's life, sitting in the save harbour and sinking dozens of enemy ships :laugh: Made the supply-issue a little easy :)

* when Paris fell in summer '15, it had no consequences. In fact it was not even mentioned in the news :upset: Maybe a 1-2 turns shock malus for the entente would be nice to reward the CP for the success :)

* I forced the French defenders to retreat from Paris, but had not enough movement points left to enter Paris. Next turn, the city was still undefended (Entente was active first). I found that somewhat strange.

*after France collapsed shortly after the fall of Paris, I sent troops to open a second front against italy. But the PO didn't defent Italy on the french border. I took Milano and Rome without a fight :crosseye: The fall of Rome was not mentioned in the news either, only when I took Venice, Italy fell into panic :D

* I reached Moscow in the winter of 1915/16 and so the Revolution was triggered (long before the Brussilov-offensive was launched). The events were a little confused: Rumania had never entered the war, but accepted a peace treaty, it's troops disappeared, but the country was accessable suddenly (and used for evaporated Entente troops to regroup).

* The dutch had joined the Entente quite soon, although I never crossed their borders. Is that wanted? By the way, I don't remember to get a hint in the news, that the dutch had joined.

* Maybe a sudden death rule should be made (fall of Russia and Paris and Rome / fall of Berlin and Vienna). With Russia beaten, France, Italy and Egypt conquered there is not much left to do, but still no peace in sight :)

* The PO seemed very reluctent to attack. It counterattacked somehow clever, but I never lost the initative on any front. Especially regarding Austria, neither the Italian nor the eastern front were a problem at any time. Maybe not enough to go to the offensive on any front, but that's the job of the germans :) So maybe the PO should attack more and maybe Austria is a little to strong.

* There is a long scenario-description, but I find it not so comfortable to read it in TOAW. MAybe a word-description could be added? I'd prefer that :shy: And maybe on the top of the descriptions, there could be some facts (how many turns, how many troops...) It's all in the long text, but it would be more comfortable to see it on the first view

So, thanks for a really nice scenario. As you said: The whole WWI in only one evening - great fun! :)

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi!

Thanks for the response, it's always useful to see what actual players think.

I played the scenario this evening as the Central Powers. Was fun! :) Well, still 20 turns to go, but time for a few comments :)

* don't know if it's a scenario-issue or hard coded, but the Entente lost 6-10 fleets by attacking Triest. The kuk Navy hat the time of it's life, sitting in the save harbour and sinking dozens of enemy ships :laugh: Made the supply-issue a little easy :)

I think that's the dear old PO taking its own decisions. It's better against a human opponent.

* when Paris fell in summer '15, it had no consequences. In fact it was not even mentioned in the news :upset: Maybe a 1-2 turns shock malus for the entente would be nice to reward the CP for the success :)

'No consequences': 50 VPs to the Central Powers, the loss of a key rail junction, an SP, the city where reconstituted French armies and some reinforcements are due to appear - pretty grim consequences for the Entente (and surely it at least got a mention in the News String?)

* I forced the French defenders to retreat from Paris, but had not enough movement points left to enter Paris. Next turn, the city was still undefended (Entente was active first). I found that somewhat strange.

As far as the PO was concerned, the Paris hex was still 'friendly', so no need to defend it - again, a human opponent would do better

*after France collapsed shortly after the fall of Paris, I sent troops to open a second front against italy. But the PO didn't defent Italy on the french border. I took Milano and Rome without a fight :crosseye: The fall of Rome was not mentioned in the news either, only when I took Venice, Italy fell into panic :D

Don't understand why, as Rome and Milan are Objectives 1 and 2 respectively for all the Italian forces.

* I reached Moscow in the winter of 1915/16 and so the Revolution was triggered (long before the Brussilov-offensive was launched). The events were a little confused: Rumania had never entered the war, but accepted a peace treaty, it's troops disappeared, but the country was accessable suddenly (and used for evaporated Entente troops to regroup).

Rumania wouldn't have entered the war if Russia had already collapsed, and would have become a battleground for the Austro_Hungarians and Bulgarians, and whatever units the Entente could still field in the Balkans, or at least that's my take on it.

* The dutch had joined the Entente quite soon, although I never crossed their borders. Is that wanted? By the way, I don't remember to get a hint in the news, that the dutch had joined.

You sure? Are you playing the test version I posted on the Forum, rather than the one from the Download section? In the final version the Dutch can only be activated if the Central Powers actually cross their border, and you do get a News String.

* Maybe a sudden death rule should be made (fall of Russia and Paris and Rome / fall of Berlin and Vienna). With Russia beaten, France, Italy and Egypt conquered there is not much left to do, but still no peace in sight :)

You've done well as the Central Powers but (again) it wouldn't be so easy against a human opponent

* The PO seemed very reluctent to attack. It counterattacked somehow clever, but I never lost the initative on any front. Especially regarding Austria, neither the Italian nor the eastern front were a problem at any time. Maybe not enough to go to the offensive on any front, but that's the job of the germans :) So maybe the PO should attack more and maybe Austria is a little to strong.

I think the final version would be a bit more of a challenge. The PO will attack when the British and finally the US arrive, and will attack in the Middle East (surprised you won so easily there), but the Russians' job is just to cling on for as long as possible.

* There is a long scenario-description, but I find it not so comfortable to read it in TOAW. MAybe a word-description could be added? I'd prefer that :shy: And maybe on the top of the descriptions, there could be some facts (how many turns, how many troops...) It's all in the long text, but it would be more comfortable to see it on the first view

Read the Scenario Briefing you lazy boy.

So, thanks for a really nice scenario. As you said: The whole WWI in only one evening - great fun! :)
Cheers again, try the final version, although against a friend if you can.