World Series 2015

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bite me.

The Royals had a bigger payroll then the Mets, Mr. Small Town America.
Not to jump into the fray here, but seems to me Chris that you should be pissed at your team's penchant for dumb fielding errors, inability to close out the game in the last inning (two games ultimately lost when they went into the 9th leading) and generally piss poor pitching from your closers. They are a young team from what I can see and likely have a good shot at being in the middle of the playoff battle next year.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Not to jump into the fray here, but seems to me Chris that you should be pissed at your team's penchant for dumb fielding errors, inability to close out the game in the last inning (two games ultimately lost when they went into the 9th leading) and generally piss poor pitching from your closers. They are a young team from what I can see and likely have a good shot at being in the middle of the playoff battle next year.
Excellence in baseball is etherial. Make out less than seven out of ten at bats and you're a great hitter. Win 60% of your games and you've got a great team. The odds on winning a ball game are never far from a coin flip. And that's why the World Series often doesn't pick the best team.

The World Series was conceived as a money making exhibition between the certifiably best teams from the NL and AL - the true champions of baseball. The pennant winners. Anybody who understands baseball knows that the luck factor is high, especially in a multi-level series format. Every time a Wild Card team does well I cringe. Certifiably second rate teams have a shot at the World Series. It's about money, not proving anything.

So all hail the Royals. But are they the best team in baseball? The playoff process isn't capable of settling that question. And frankly it never was.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellence in baseball is etherial. Make out less than seven out of ten at bats and you're a great hitter. Win 60% of your games and you've got a great team. The odds on winning a ball game are never far from a coin flip. And that's why the World Series often doesn't pick the best team.

The World Series was conceived as a money making exhibition between the certifiably best teams from the NL and AL - the true champions of baseball. The pennant winners. Anybody who understands baseball knows that the luck factor is high, especially in a multi-level series format. Every time a Wild Card team does well I cringe. Certifiably second rate teams have a shot at the World Series. It's about money, not proving anything.

So all hail the Royals. But are they the best team in baseball? The playoff process isn't capable of settling that question. And frankly it never was.
Nowhere in my post did you find that I proclaimed the Royals the king of all baseball. Sure, they have the title, but like any sports, the best teams don't always take home the championship. The Mets were likely the better overall team on the field, but they blew their chances to win and Royals goes home with their prom dates.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh Dave - no question. Infield defense and the bridge relievers were the Mets Achilles heel all year - and it was exposed on the big stage by a much more fundamentally sound team. In fact, if the Mets weren't in it - I would have been rooting for KC like I did last fall - I really like their approach.

I would add to teh fatal flaws argument that the Mets offense crapped out as well. Apart form Granderson and Wright, they pretty much disappeared in the World Series. The big edge we had going in was starting pitching. The Mets needed three or four run cushions going in to teh middle innings to take pressure off the pen. I mean seriously - guys like Chris Young and Edison Volquez were shutting them down - unacceptable. Needed way more out of Cespedes, Dude, D'Arnaud and yes - Murphy over the Series.

Ah well - on to the hot strove league and reshaping the landscape of Baseball. With our rotation, I like the Mets chances in 2016 and beyond.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The best team almost always win a best of 7 series. And the two best win a best of 5 and a best of 7 to play for the title. Any one game is close to a coin toss but over time the better team wins. In baseball pitching and defense seem to beat offense if history is the judge.

I'm not sure why anyone would not call the Royals the best team this year. After 162 games the had the best record in the AL and won 3 best of series against good teams.

Last edited:

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
The best team almost always win a best of 7 series. And the two best win a best of 5 and a best of 7 to play for the title. Any one game is close to a coin toss but over time the better team wins. In baseball pitching and defense seem to beat offense if history is the judge.

I'm not sure why anyone would not call the Royals the best team this year. After 162 games the had the best record in the AL and won 3 best of series against good teams.
It's a team's record on the 162 game season that earns my respect. Everything after that is pretty near a coin flip. Did Buckner flub that grounder because the Mets were not the best team?

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a team's record on the 162 game season that earns my respect. Everything after that is pretty near a coin flip. Did Buckner flub that grounder because the Mets were not the best team?
No the Mets were the best team because they won 4 head to head games in the Series. To paraphrase what Danny Murtaugh said to a reporter who asked about the huge difference in runs scored by the Yanks over his Pirates in the 1960 world series "I thought the goal was to see who wins more games not who scores the most runs."

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
No the Mets were the best team because they won 4 head to head games in the Series. To paraphrase what Danny Murtaugh said to a reporter who asked about the huge difference in runs scored by the Yanks over his Pirates in the 1960 world series "I thought the goal was to see who wins more games not who scores the most runs."
Oops. I meant the Red Sox.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oops. I meant the Red Sox.
People forget that was game 6 so the Sox had another chance to win it and didn't. It's hard to blame it all on Buckner or on the loss of one game in a best of seven series.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
People forget that was game 6 so the Sox had another chance to win it and didn't. It's hard to blame it all on Buckner or on the loss of one game in a best of seven series.
Well, you're right. I remembered that it was game 6. Forgot the team, which is unpardonable.