World of Warships

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
World of Warships has gone open beta. Not everything is implemented yet. It looks like it might be fun, I'm enjoying sinking ships so far. Same layout of tech tree, upgrades as WoT etc. Here's a screen of a U.S. starter ship. U.S. and Japan are the only two countries right now, altho you can buy premium ships from the other countries that will be added; Russia and England. Mini map lower right, aiming reticules center; ship condition, green silhouette. Maps are mostly the same, islands in the middle. We got Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships and Aircraft Carriers as playable right now.
View attachment 50378

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite the competition from War Thunder land and air, I still prefer World of Tanks/Planes for its simplicity. I am looking forward to trying this, too!

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a tier III U.S. Destroyer. You start with a cruiser and max research it before moving on. After the second cruiser is maxed, you can branch right into destroyers, stay with cruisers or branch left into battleships. In battleships after the second you can get into aircraft carriers. And as you move up the trees, the ships become more expensive. I'm staying with U.S. destroyers for now and Japanese cruisers in that tree. I saw that Germany will be added also with the Bismarck and Tirpitz included.
View attachment 50475

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I can't believe I might actually buy a (non apple) computer now. This looks great!

I think it's ridiculous that the Soviet Navy has ships while the German navy has only one and a premium. The Kriegsmarine was more significant than the High Seas Fleet by far, and the Soviet Navy was a joke in WW2.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't believe I might actually buy a (non apple) computer now. This looks great!

I think it's ridiculous that the Soviet Navy has ships while the German navy has only one and a premium. The Kriegsmarine was more significant than the High Seas Fleet by far, and the Soviet Navy was a joke in WW2.
The game goes live on the 17th. It's still in beta. The other countries ship lines won't be fleshed out for a while. Like WoT, which is still having country and tank lines added 4 years after launch; this will be an ongoing project. Also, the developers are Russian for the most part; so we will see a strong Russian tree. But, this is not a simulation; more of an arcade game so keep that in mind. A little wonky here and there as they work the bugs out. I've managed to get up to tier 5 and now the grind starts. Lots of research stars needed to get the next tier ship. This game is more generous than WoT in credits and research points awarded tho. You can train your Commanders too with various upgrades that help gunnery, damage control; spotting and some others. I just got a Wyoming class BB and go crazy when Cruisers out range me until I can upgrade my ship. I'm just thinking no way should that happen. The Commanders screen.
View attachment 50895

Last edited:

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I guess it makes sense if they are mostly Russian to include Russian ships.

From your playing, are Destroyers good at taking on BBs with their torpedoes? I'd assume you play those as hit and run, get in and get out, sort of ships.

Do Japanese Cruisers have low survivability to offset their torpedo advantage?

Those are deal makers or breakers for me.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From your playing, are Destroyers good at taking on BBs with their torpedoes? I'd assume you play those as hit and run, get in and get out, sort of ships.
Do Japanese Cruisers have low survivability to offset their torpedo advantage? Those are deal makers or breakers for me.
Yes, if you are undetected and the BB is in a gun duel; you have a good chance to torp him. A lot of players become 'sniper' focused (zoomed in on target) and keep going in a straight line making it easy to hit. The closer you get, the better chance of a hit; but, planes can detect you along with getting to close. DD's are fragile, a BB or Cruiser will take them out in 3/4 salvos. You have smoke screen and speed boost tho to counter. U.S. DD's up to tier 5 have mediocre torp range of 4500-5500 km. The tier 6 or 7 gets better. Japanese DD's are 6 to 7 km. I liked the Japanese cruisers. They have fast firing guns and the torps are a bonus. They do (tier 3&4) have big citadels making a one salvo sinking from a BB possible. Heck, my Wyoming got a devastating strike first salvo sinking at the start of a game the other day. :angry: It happens. It all depends on how you play. Fools rush in and quickly are dispatched. Stay together, BB's tend to concentrate on BB's and cruisers are firing at each other. Everyone hates DD's and when detected be prepared for most of the opposing team to try to take you out. :D

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Being a dashing destroyer commander appeals to me the most. The idea of striking from the islands unseen is awesome! Can't wait to get the game.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Announced today. We're pleased to announce the Russian destroyer branch will be joining the World of Warships armada starting October 19, alongside the previously announced German cruisers. The Russians' hard-hitting cannons and great accuracy render even the fastest and most evasive targets sinkable. Strong anti-aircraft armament and rapid turret rotation make these new vessels excellent candidates for precision attack runs. “We’re looking forward to letting players command this line of Soviet destroyers,” says Daniil Volkov, World of Warships Development Director. "These additions will open up some distinct vessels for commanders to discover and leverage in combat.” As we approach release of this highly desirable line of ships, we'll share more information. For now, take a look through your spyglass at the video above and the gallery below!