World of Warcraft Review

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having lived in "remote areas" for the past two years, its easy for games to slip by me - so I recently tried World of Warcraft...while I wait for the Real Warhammer Online to get online sometime in 2007. I probably should have waited. Indeed in relative terms, the wait would not be so painful as it was to simply get the darned game installed and play "WOW". WOW can relate to a lot of things...like

WOW - 30 minutes to install the game. OH, but wait, WOW - have to download a 570 Mb patch. OH, no...wait, after you download that patch, you need to download another 690 Mb patch. WOW...they have Managers leading software projects that don't check which version you are using before recommending you to download patches you don't need. So...just to play the game...well...that was a quest of epic proportions.

So...Finally, after 1.2 Gigabytes of download...I was ready to play. And in summary, World of Warcraft is a way to waste a lot of time in a continuous process of running from one area to and repeatedly bashing creatures from Greater Goretusk Boars to Shadowhide Gnolls....and rabbits. Little variety in terms of quests. There are some good team players...but WOW - there are a lot of 7 and 8 year olds on there.

Warcraft has millions of fans...and a lot of players, but WOW they're customer service is slow - ranging from 2 - 24 hour responses to e-mails...which wouldn't be that bad, but apparently whenever they have a problem with the software, they have a problem with their web site being deluged with traffic....So, it involved 8 hours just getting to a point of finding an e-mail address of a customer service POC. And, of all the web sites I visit, WOW-Europe offers the slowest download occasionally freezing my IE...that might be my problem...but....

If I had to do it over again, would I play World of Warcraft or would I want to jam a hot poker in my eye repeatedly...I would choose the hot poker in the eye...

So, I continue my wait for World of WARHAMMER...for the REAL WAAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i'm sorry you didnt like it. but from the sounds of it, and you'll forgive me if i'm wrong, you dont sound like a MMO player.

now warhammer online is going to be different than alot of other fantasy MMORPG's, but they are all basically the same. you do quests, gather cool loot, and level up, not much to it really.

my only question is why where you dealing with EU-WoW?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The RPG forum is for "Pen & Paper RPGs." Traditional RPGs such as D&D or MERP.

Moved to the PC game forum.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Why not put this in the User Reviews section? There you can properly rate it and attach screenshots. See the 'User Reviews' link.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i wouldnt really call this a review as much as it's a statement of dislike, lol.

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow is well i don't know about my stance towards wow, I have an account, i go though periods where i will want to play wow and then i'll sorta get bored of it.

If i decide to play wow i'll usally just buy a months subscription then cancell the account so it doesn't auto renew i have a couple level chars between lvl 30 - 40 and a char at lvl 9

However wow seems to be very much Kill 10 of these grab item X from place Y it gets a bit samey very quickly.

Its fun if theres a group of you all playing to gether but the problem is finding a group of people the same level as you who want to do the same quests at the same time you do.

I used to play with a mate (still do sometimes) the problem is he devotes more time to wow than i'm prepared to which means hes now got his charater to a higher level than me which conqsqently means he doesn't need to do the same quests as me so for him hanging around with me is a bit pointless because theres not much in it for him..

and for me even though the extra help is usefull it means i don't gain as much xp and then it takes even longer to level up.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
most MMO's have the same formula, so yes, it can be repetative. i believe it's up to the player on how much they are going to immerse themself into the game.

as for writing a review, i might give it a try, but i'm not sure what more i can tell that anyone doesnt know already.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I liked D&DO better than WoW. Also Guild Wars, mostly for their formula of releasing new expansions which you may (or may not!) purchase, instead of simply dinging your plastic for X dollars per month. (So, for those who don't know, GW is free to play - no monthly fee. Just buy the game, and go to town... You can choose which new content to be a part of by buying the new expansion. Or not).

My sometimes-roomie is now addicted to Eve Online, which I have to say has got my attention as well. I won't give the trial a shot until such time as I know I can go nuts on the PC, as I want to really get a feel for it (for free) before deciding to get a monthly subscription. But Eve is quite different from other MMORPGs, as it's all space related, and strikes me more as an ongoing game of Elite than the traditional RPG as mentioned above.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i played in the beta for DDO, and i felt that the game is really for the fans of the pen & paper version. it also assumes that you have prior knowledge of 3.5 edition rules as well, which i did not.

as for GW, it is NOT an MMO, even if they try to sell it as one, of course that is an opinon. the only mmo part of GW is the towns, everything is an instance, it is not a 24/7 persistant world. with that said, i think that GW does what it does really well, and would like to see more games like it in the future.

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
i played in the beta for DDO, and i felt that the game is really for the fans of the pen & paper version. it also assumes that you have prior knowledge of 3.5 edition rules as well, which i did not.

as for GW, it is NOT an MMO, even if they try to sell it as one, of course that is an opinon. the only mmo part of GW is the towns, everything is an instance, it is not a 24/7 persistant world. with that said, i think that GW does what it does really well, and would like to see more games like it in the future.
Testdrive unlimted is a bit like that, as in you connect to a server but you only see upto 7 other player cars in the area (well the 360 version anyway)