World in Flames - any opinions?

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I just commited to buying the rest of WiF that I did not have - I managed to buy the WiF 2000 update kit a few years ago - but did not actually have the game to update .... so I finally got around to buying the part I think I need - in order to finally play this thing ---

Was wondering what other people here thought of the series - yeh I know loads of mods - not sure if that is good or bad -- looks kinda fun though.

Thx in advance...

:smoke: Steve

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have a basic box that is likely way dated. I have a few of the more substantial add ons, likely also way dated.

I suppose if I wanted to take the game seriously I would need to reinvest a bit to keep it up to snuff.

But to comment on the game as a whole, it has a lot of features I like.

It's only weakness, it's a "big" game, and suffers if the player can't establish a place to play it where it can be left underway for extends time spans.

But, the computer gaming world has given us several game designs that are WW2 and global. And they are usually perfectly acceptable designs too. So the guy that can't sponsor a decent environment to play it, really doesn't need to panic.

If they game had been only released last month, and as a single unified all encompassing complete one box only product for 100-150 bucks, I likely would pass on it.
It's an expensive game that can be reasonably represented in scope and scale by too many good computer options.

Essentially, it's a good example of a great game that is mostly great as it predated all the computer options, and got here first.

I suspect a lot of our "great" games would not have been able to become "great" if they had had to compete with the computer based options on day one.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ahhhh well - it turns out that I will need the Classic -to- Deluxe version upgrade too ...which is about another $75 - $80+ and they got a couple other add-ons that look like they are potentially interesting; in Convoys in Flames, and Cruisers in Flames.

I know I seriously need to update my bio, as it says next to nothing about me as a hobbyist...

But, you got me thinking about that, Aries.. (now this may be a little incomplete - but I will come back to it ---

This entire thing is getting me thinking about the differences between computer and board games-- I was brought up on boardgames- and I spent enough time in a fasco of a game that is actually mmpog basically first person shooter/limited scope flight sim -that alleged itwas a wargame -- well in their dreams maybe - but it was not much of an effort compared to what I was used to.

To me there is something to be said about learning a system and the concepts behind the mechanics that I appreciate more in a boardgame than in a computer game--- which is why TOAW turned me completely off --yeh it has fans - but I never figured out what all was going on there - it was not like a boardgame -in terms of how you had to learn the various subsystems... I guess too I am more into physical presence, and the 3d aspect -oh yeh I understand about 3d graphics and all - but well I dunno - just something I think to get me back to my roots is all.

Anyway ok I have no idea what that was all about ... maybe I will make sense later..

Narses

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played World in Flames since the early 90's. It is a monster game, but I am sure you know that already. It is one of the only strategic games that really gives you the full scope of the war-Europe and Pacific- in a coherent manner. Personally, I didn't like the naval system, but perhaps thats changed over the many iterations. I have lately been moving toward Advanced European Theater of Operations, which has an interactive naval and air system that allows the inactive player to participate.

World in Flames tends toward the historical although allows some non-historical play. AETO forces player to stay fairly historical. On the other end of the spectrum are games like Totaler Krieg and World at War that have widely open political options.

The trick is getting the time, space, and opponents to play. If you've got that, you've done well in my book.

griffitz62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with what has been said already, so I won't reitirate, but I will say that I really love World in Flames. What I like the most is that it has all the aspects (land/air/naval/production) and all the world to play on. I would also like to point out that you don't need all the expansions to play the game enjoyably. I started with the basic boxed set (WiF Classic) and only later added the other stuff. It's a very playable and enjoyable game in a single boxed kit. I just wish I had the space and the people to play it with.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
trauth116 said:
I just commited to buying the rest of WiF that I did not have - I managed to buy the WiF 2000 update kit a few years ago - but did not actually have the game to update .... so I finally got around to buying the part I think I need - in order to finally play this thing ---

Was wondering what other people here thought of the series - yeh I know loads of mods - not sure if that is good or bad -- looks kinda fun though.

Thx in advance...

:smoke: Steve

Well, as an ASL player I can say with confidence that the only set of rules more poorly organized than ASL's belong to WIF. I had a group of buddies try to get me to start playing about a year ago and I just couldn't get my arms around the rules.

I've observed the game being played, though, and if you get far enough to actually start playing it looks like a heck of a game.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have WiF but I quit buying expansions after Planes in Flames. WiF's biggest problem is that the designers kept tinkering and wrecked a good game. There is like 100 different maps and 50 different sets of counters.

I really liked the gearing limitation on builds and the whole resource production thing. The US entry sytem was novel when it came out. The pilots rule was also a brilliant innovation.

WiF fails where all other strategic WWII games fail: 1943 and 1944 Eastern front. The capabilities of the Soviet Army in this time frame are not reflected. The Eastern front is fairly static in this time frame in the game. In reality the Soviet army was pounding the crap out of the Germans and retaking territory. That doesn't happen in WiF.

However, pick one version and play it and find out for yourself. Do not buy the upgrades/expansions. The chrome isn't worth it. I'd say just go with the classic WIF you have.

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
AdrianE said:
WiF fails where all other strategic WWII games fail: 1943 and 1944 Eastern front. The capabilities of the Soviet Army in this time frame are not reflected. The Eastern front is fairly static in this time frame in the game. In reality the Soviet army was pounding the crap out of the Germans and retaking territory. That doesn't happen in WiF.
Perhaps not in WiF, but you say that this is where all WWII strategic games do fail. From what I know about TK, the Soviets turn to be rather strong in the end of the campaign and if played according to their potential the Axis will have to fight a hard battle against the Red Army as they did in history.

Andreas

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have it, never could get around playing it though, I've always liked TSR's WWII-ETO and PTO better.

mangulator

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boonierat said:
I have it, never could get around playing it though, I've always liked TSR's WWII-ETO and PTO better.
I bought the deluxe version of WIF and PIF thinking I could get my stepson interested in playing. I even had room for the game to be set up and not disturbed. I found out later he was not interested. I went out and bought GMT's Von Manstiens Back hand blow (thought it had a good solitary playabilty) Its playable, but not to my liking. I went out thinking again I could get my stepson into AA Europe (Box Set) no chance.
Thats when I decieded to go PC with HOI2 and A&A. Good solitary play, little need for room and multiplayer possibilities on-line.
WIF Deluxe is a good game if you have someone to play with.

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have toyed with the idea of getting the game but there are so many expansions. If I were to get the game and like it I think I would start buying all the expansions.

How many expansion to date are available?

mangulator

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jguritza said:
I have toyed with the idea of getting the game but there are so many expansions. If I were to get the game and like it I think I would start buying all the expansions.

How many expansion to date are available?
I think there is the deluxe version with the add ons planes in flames and ships in flames.
There may be more, this is all I can think of off hand.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think I got most of them - if not all ... well like you said - heaps of mods...

http://www.a-d-g.com.au//cgi/product_details?pr_id=3

-has a list of all of the mods out there - I got most of my gear off of Ebay ...

Although the individual stuff they have would be @ www.a-d-g.com.au

Same old story for me - never had the time to actually play or read the rules- ahh yeh - some day.

Jeff Gilbert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had and played WiF since one of it's early encarnations.
Up to what would now be called "classic" WiF, it is a great game!

... then the add-ons, rules tinkering and and endless options trying to accomodate every gamer who posted a note to ADG that the full version is now so mired in bookkeeping and tedium that the flavor is dying.

ADG was working on a computer version for YEARS and I do beleive that Matrix has picked up the computer version development now. This would revive my interest if it ever gets completed. I trust that the current developer is working on it but ... it's been years in development.

Bottom line, Classic Wif is great. Expansions are Ok if you don't go crazy with the options ... and forget every using the WiF oli rules. WiFCon oil rules are enough.