World Cup? - Why hockey is better

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You're right. But they still run a hell of a long way over the match and execute moments of extreme skill even when knackered.

The Spain Russia game was probably the only dull game there has been in the tournament...
Well France vs Danmark in the last group state game wasn't that exciting either. :)

But any game where Sergio Ramos gets knocked out of the tournament is a good one. :)

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Cricket is just baseball for non Americans. I played county cricket as a kid and i still love watching it. It's a game of concentration and skill and at the end of the day at a professional level, small margins...the biggest difference i found playing at a higher level was that you don't get anything easy to hit, everything is on the money. Concentration and technique go a long way unless youve a freakishly good eye.

The football histrionics do get to me...watching the play acting in the final 30mind of the Portugal game was painful...
Played both. The skill level of soccer(football) players just seem to be a level above. Putting a cross ice pass on the money isn't that hard, but using your foot to put a cross pitch pass on the money so they can field it takes skill. Plus, the athleticism seems to be a step above as well. Some of those guys are running for 90+ minutes straight v. 2-3 min shift changes. I do agree the drama on the pitch gets over the top on occasion. Acting for a penalty or a rest gets old.

Now if someone can explain Cricket. Tried watching whenever I am in the U.K., but I just cannot figure that game out. Have guys that I work with that treat Cricket like a religion.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cricket is just baseball for non Americans. I played county cricket as a kid and i still love watching it. It's a game of concentration and skill and at the end of the day at a professional level, small margins...the biggest difference i found playing at a higher level was that you don't get anything easy to hit, everything is on the money. Concentration and technique go a long way unless youve a freakishly good eye.

The football histrionics do get to me...watching the play acting in the final 30mind of the Portugal game was painful...
Aside from having a ball and bat, baseball and cricket are very different.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Soccer can be more physically demanding than hockey, but that doesn't make the midfield "loitering" interesting.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Make the puck light up with electronic bright red or blue. Have it change colors when it crosses the ‘offsides’ line. This might help people way back see what’s going on better and it might be very psychedelic with fast moving tracers.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Make the puck light up with electronic bright red or blue. Have it change colors when it crosses the ‘offsides’ line. This might help people way back see what’s going on better and it might be very psychedelic with fast moving tracers.
Works with squash. It went from unwatchable on TV to very exciting

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was tried and it sucked. HDTV has made it much easier to watch hockey.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Neymar. What a f#cking embarrassment to the game he is.
With 20 minutes left, Mexico’s Miguel Layun, sick of Neymar’s constant chicanery, moved towards the forward as he lay prone once more, and put his foot on top of the Brazilian, just above the ankle. It was the kind of touch that carried the force of a cucumber being placed on someone’s shin. Bad breath has caused more damage. Yet there was Neymar, taking a split second to realize his opportunity, unleash that now-famous scream, then follow it up with a writhing, contorting, pounding-the-turf response worthy of Hollywood.
USA Today.

Footie footsie. Now that's entertainment.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are they coached to thrash about in pain? They should know they might cause further damage.