World Cup? - Why hockey is better

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Both great games. I took my son to see USA vs Canada hockey in Queenstown on Thursday evening and we get up at 545 every morning to watch the World Cup...got to celebrate it all. I can even appreciate netball

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Unfortunately football is eminently more popular the world over, eminently more watchable (ice hockey is literally impossible to watch because you can't see fuck all other than a pile of very large people hacking shit out of each other), and eminently more exciting. Also, the rules for football are far more simple, and the goal rarely floats off during an exciting moment in the goalmouth meaning that the ref's have to stop play.

It really does help that you can see the bloody football actually.

But yes, football players often are a bit mardy. Having said that there are plenty of examples of really tough players. Check out Bert Trautman for example. Manchester City player who broke his neck in the 1956 FA Cup final but continued to play on.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I get frustrated with the lack if respect and control the referees have. Could be sorted by enforcing a "yellow if you talk back to the ref" rule. It would spoil a couple of games until the players realised that the ref was serious but there's too much money involved.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I get frustrated with the lack if respect and control the referees have. Could be sorted by enforcing a "yellow if you talk back to the ref" rule. It would spoil a couple of games until the players realised that the ref was serious but there's too much money involved.
Yup. It disgusts me. And it's an easy fix

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can even appreciate netball
But can you make any sense of it. ;)

Wifey detested it, found it too constricting, a "girlie" version of basketball (invented by a Canadian phys ed teacher in MA, btw). Her cousins begged her to play netball, but there was no way that she was going to wear a skirt!

She played competitive hockey, both as a forward and as a goalie, and was the best goalie in her league when she hung up her skates in her early 30s (i.e., before we "shifted" to NZ).

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
But can you make any sense of it. ;)

Wifey detested it, found it too constricting, a "girlie" version of basketball (invented by a Canadian phys ed teacher in MA, btw). Her cousins begged her to play netball, but there was no way that she was going to wear a skirt!

She played competitive hockey, both as a forward and as a goalie, and was the best goalie in her league when she hung up her skates in her early 30s (i.e., before we "shifted" to NZ).
Hockey doesn't have skates and is easier to watch because you can actually see the ball and the goal doesn't slide away every couple of minutes

Hehehe

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hockey doesn't have skates and is easier to watch because you can actually see the ball and the goal doesn't slide away every couple of minutes

Hehehe
Field hockey is not hockey! :)

I know this because one of our local ASL players was on the Canadian field hockey team at the Olympic Summer Games in 1976 and 1984, as well as three Pan Am Games. :p

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played both. The skill level of soccer(football) players just seem to be a level above. Putting a cross ice pass on the money isn't that hard, but using your foot to put a cross pitch pass on the money so they can field it takes skill. Plus, the athleticism seems to be a step above as well. Some of those guys are running for 90+ minutes straight v. 2-3 min shift changes. I do agree the drama on the pitch gets over the top on occasion. Acting for a penalty or a rest gets old.

Now if someone can explain Cricket. Tried watching whenever I am in the U.K., but I just cannot figure that game out. Have guys that I work with that treat Cricket like a religion.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Shootouts in World Cup play is a crime. Play until there is a winner.
Shootouts is the best way if they can't be separated after 120 minutes.

Football team I support (Stockport County) hold the world record, with Doncaster Rovers for the longest game in professional football. 3 hours, 23 minutes and darkness halted play.

3097.jpg

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Played both. The skill level of soccer(football) players just seem to be a level above. Putting a cross ice pass on the money isn't that hard, but using your foot to put a cross pitch pass on the money so they can field it takes skill. Plus, the athleticism seems to be a step above as well. Some of those guys are running for 90+ minutes straight v. 2-3 min shift changes. I do agree the drama on the pitch gets over the top on occasion. Acting for a penalty or a rest gets old.

Now if someone can explain Cricket. Tried watching whenever I am in the U.K., but I just cannot figure that game out. Have guys that I work with that treat Cricket like a religion.
I find cricket to be paced like baseball (having recently started watching the latter). A sport that just goes on around you whilst you do other things. I'm a massive fan by the way.

I think you're right regarding football. I occasionally watch Manchester United (up with the best) and my hometown team Stockport County (down with the worst). The difference in skill levels is palpable and even those playing for my lowly club are pretty fantastic sportsmen

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The fitness level is amazing but to say they are running for 90 minutes straight is an exaggeration. In those 90 mins there is about 60+ min of actual ball in play and then the players are not running the entire time. Lots a jogging when away from the play.

I caught the Spain-Russian game at the 60-minute mark. Lots of passing from side to side for the final 30 min. Kinda boring. The OT was better. Spain was dominate but the crapshoot of the shootout made that moot.

Every 4 years I can watch and get into the mood.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
The fitness level is amazing but to say they are running for 90 minutes straight is an exaggeration. In those 90 mins there is about 60+ min of actual ball in play and then the players are not running the entire time. Lots a jogging when away from the play.

I caught the Spain-Russian game at the 60-minute mark. Lots of passing from side to side for the final 30 min. Kinda boring. The OT was better. Spain was dominate but the crapshoot of the shootout made that moot.

Every 4 years I can watch and get into the mood.
You're right. But they still run a hell of a long way over the match and execute moments of extreme skill even when knackered.

The Spain Russia game was probably the only dull game there has been in the tournament but Russia had to make it so to stand a chance.

Hope you're watching the current game....1-1 after 3 minutes !!

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're right. But they still run a hell of a long way over the match and execute moments of extreme skill even when knackered.

The Spain Russia game was probably the only dull game there has been in the tournament but Russia had to make it so to stand a chance.

Hope you're watching the current game....1-1 after 3 minutes !!
No, I'm at the office screwing around while my daughter is at ballet class. Should be home in time to see the 2nd half.

I need to look up the term Knackered and Mardy. :)