World Cup 2010.....USA v England....

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
I was a football and cricket journalist back in the 1990s covering professional and international football and remember the vuvuzela being used in significant numbers back then - they go back to the 1970s - but not in its current foghorn incarnation. Back then they were home-made and reflected the character of their makers as well as the team which they supported. The current version is a blight against humanity, and one that is far from popular amongst the majority of South Africans. Problem is, the vuvuzela as it is now gives the vocal minority a whole lot of extra punch. Added to that -having been in and around a couple of games so far - is the fact that foreign fans have bought these dastardly things by the truck-load and are happily blasting away in the belief that they are "experiencing Africa". That means, of course, that these plastic instruments of deaf are on their way back to you folk as we speak.... To join the 40 000 that have ALREADY been sold in the UK! Soon Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and, God forbid, Lords will revel in their melodious tones!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That means, of course, that these plastic instruments of deaf are on their way back to you folk as we speak.... To join the 40 000 that have ALREADY been sold in the UK! Soon Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and, God forbid, Lords will revel in their melodious tones!
Oh don't. The Sun was apparently giving away 5000 of them earlier in the week. Next season's going to be a nightmare.
Don't worry about Lords though, they already ban musical instruments, fancy dress etc. Although they do make an exception for that 'beautiful' MCC blazer of course...

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Interesting...however, the first thing that struck me was, if the trajectory is hard to gauge for blocking a shot on goal...wouldn't it be equally difficult for the shooter to judge when taking a shot on goal? Seems that at most the problem would be a wash and thus not a problem.
No-one's happy with the ball
The keepers can't save it as it's moves about in the air
The strikers can't score because it's too light and flies up in the air at the slightest opportunity.

The Germans coped with it a couple of days back though with their four goals *

* The Germans have been using the ball for a full season already....coincidentally it's an Adidas ball.....coiincidentally Adidas are a German company......

:)

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No-one's happy with the ball
The keepers can't save it as it's moves about in the air
The strikers can't score because it's too light and flies up in the air at the slightest opportunity.
One article I saw had a historical listing of whining about the balls EACH AND EVERY WORLD CUP. Every 4 years they had something to complain about regarding the ball. Makes me think soccer players are just a bunch of whiners (unlike say ASLers :devious:)

The Germans coped with it a couple of days back though with their four goals *

* The Germans have been using the ball for a full season already....coincidentally it's an Adidas ball.....coiincidentally Adidas are a German company......

:)
Conspiracy theories abound...

KevinG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont think I have seen a single free kick not get blasted over the bar! Crosses have been sailing high and long, and shots from outside the box too. Something's not right.

Still, if England win it all will be forgiven :)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I dont think I have seen a single free kick not get blasted over the bar! Crosses have been sailing high and long, and shots from outside the box too. Something's not right.

Still, if England win it all will be forgiven :)
I don't tend to go in for talk about the footies and all that but I have to say something smells about it this time for the reasons you've summed up nicely.
Not one single quality free kick which hits goal from the best players on the planet...not right that

(unlike say ASLers :devious:)
Conspiracy theories abound...
To be honest, with a name like Mayers, I'm absolutely 100% happy if the Germans go ahead and win the thing.....England or Germany...either or for me.
However....not sure where the conspiracy theory is when I refer to the ball being used in the Bundesleague this season or that Adidas are a German company....
Both of those are absolutely 100% fact.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To be honest, with a name like Mayers, I'm absolutely 100% happy if the Germans go ahead and win the thing.....England or Germany...either or for me.
However....not sure where the conspiracy theory is when I refer to the ball being used in the Bundesleague this season or that Adidas are a German company....
Both of those are absolutely 100% fact.
It's a conspiracy if Adidas only made the ball available to the Germans so they could get used to it in the Bundesliga. If all leagues could have used the ball and didn't, that's on them. If Adidas only allowed the Bundesliga to use it, then we have a conspiracy where Adidas was favoring their countrymen to give them an advantage in the cup. Your repeated use of "coincidentally" made me think you were overtly implying a conspiracy. If not - my apologies...

I was mildly surprised that everyone on the German team played in the Bundesliga last year. I thought there was more variety in European soccer players cross pollinating into different leagues/countries, but apparently not.