Working on a scenario pack

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I've been working on a 1939 Poland campaign game, but had to take a pause with it, due to current lack of both time (unexpected college stuff) and experience in deisgning full blown ASL scenarios. I think I will return to it after a while, but not very soon.

Anyway, I thought that it would be interesting to make a small one-themed scenario pack for SK series. I'm currently re-reading Sajer's "A forgotten soldier" and have an idea to recreate few battles which Guy presents.

Any suggestions as to what to do, what to do not, and other tips and tricks when creating scenarios for SK?

Guthwulf

Recruit
Reaction score
My suggestion would be that if you are making a starter kit scenario to use only the counters that come in the Starter Kits. Yeah, I'm looking at you Battles Magazine! Nothing more frustrating that to get a new scenario that cannot be played with all of the SKs. The downside to this if you are wanting to do a Polish scenario there are not that many Allied Minor counters in the SK collective. This could change with the release of the SKEP1 which is suppose to add a lot more.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd echo that. Further I'd limit the components to those in the SK series.

Secondly don't make the scenarios too large. SK has a tendency the snowball where one side gets ahead and just rolls over the other.

Thirdly when playtesting them think about the sort of player who will play them. If intended for a beginner then keep it simple. If intended for an advanced player then go full ASL with it.
Keep the SSR to a minimum. There's nothing so great as S1's SSRs. For how bot to do it find some of the time on target scenarios.

Remember it's a game. Don't sacrifice playability for historical accuracy.

Hipsu

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Keep the SSR to a minimum. There's nothing so great as S1's SSRs. For how bot to do it find some of the time on target scenarios.
On the other hand I liked those SSRs that gave a taste of what the full ASL might offer. For example S41 and S43 from SK Bonus pack #1 had SSRs that mimicked pre-registered HE OBA strikes. Loved that.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Thank you all of you.

I'm thinking on a scenarios company size at best, one/two boards, and only SSR that I would include would be that which would be "described" as crucial in a particular battle that Sajer writes about, max 1.

I'm trying to get the "feel" of battles described, instead of going into details.