WO5 Astride Hell's Highway VC

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey All,

I am wondering what the interpretation of these VC are:

The Germans win at the end of Game Turn 5 by Controlling buildings 63T5 and 63S6 or at game end if they can place 20 FP factors (TPBF/PBF/Area Fire/SMOKE hindrances are NA) from infantry MMC and manned, functioning MG's (only) on road hexes 63Q9-S8-Y5-GG6.

Most of that is clear to me except the part in parenthesis. TBF and PBF seems to mean that I don't get the doubled/tripled firepower in calculating for VC. Smoke hindrance NA seems to mean that 6+ smoke hindrance and I can still count that firepower. I am confused by the Area Fire NA though. Does that mean that if I am at long range I don't halve it or I can't count it? Or is long range fire not really area fire like shooting at concealed units so it would be halved and counted?

What say you?

Mike

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Although both long-range FP and Area Fire halve the FP of the unit, long-range fire is not an instance of an Area Fire penalty [A7.22, A7.23]. The FP counted toward the VC would not be halved for not having a unit in the Location ("concealed target") nor for firing from a marsh or stream, but would be halved for VC purposes for long-range fire. Not all things that halve the FP are Area Fire penalties (another example: Mounted Fire [D6.1] is not an Area Fire penalty).

JR