WO29 Pynda Avenged AAR

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This week’s live VASL game was WO29 Pynda Avenged set in Agios Kosmas, Greece on 19 November 1940. Elements of the Greek II Division are trying to dislodge the 23a Divisione Fanteria “Ferrara” from the village of Agios Kosmas. The goal for the Greeks is to control more buildings than the Italians in the victory area after 6 turns. Looking at this scenario, the Italians have to use their concealment wisely and cover several lines of attack, whereas the Greeks must be aggressive to capture the necessary buildings. I took the attacking Greeks and Johan the defending Italians. It was important to remember that according to A25.9 the broken Morale Level of Greeks is increased by one when facing an all-Italian force.
  • Italian advantages: Sizeable force with adequate leadership, foxholes and concealment counters
    Italian disadvantages: low firepower, low broken morale
  • Greek advantages: good firepower, attacking from two sides, +1 broken Morale Level
    Greek disadvantages: much open ground to cover, many buildings to occupy
Figure 1 shows the troop dispositions at the start of play. My plan for the Greeks was to split my forces with half attacking from the north and the rest from the east. Indeed, I wanted to swing my forces from board 72 in the east to use the woods and hills in the south as cover whilst using the MMG for covering fire on board 63. The Italians made judicial use of concealment to cover the different areas of attack.

Figure 2 shows the state of play at the end of turn 3/beginning of turn 4. The Greek attack in the north had stalled. Four Italian sniper activations (2 big, 2 small) had really thrown a spanner in the works. In contrast, the attack from the south east had made excellent progress and was already starting to threaten the victory area.

Figure 3 shows the positions in the Italian phase of turn 6 after the Greeks had won the close combat in building 10bCC14 and Johan conceded. At this point the Greeks had 11 of the required 16 buildings. The scenario was fun with the usual ASL excitement: multiple SAN activations, a berserk squad, wounded leader, prisoners and hero creation. I also think this is tough for the Italians once they are forced to evict the Greeks from any buildings with low firepower and Morale Level. The Italians must keep the Greeks out of the buildings if at all possible.

Again, happy to hear other ideas or plans for either side.

Cheers, Adrian