WO Brief AAR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Returned from WO, went *7-1...but, wait,.... not that 7 and 1. For I played a newbie, so this was a training scenario, and then I play tested 3 other scenarios for forthcoming projects, one for a little known HASL...so you can't count those either....

MM46 Take that Hill vs Walt "the Spook." The guy would not give me his last name, saying "hmm I don't remember what name I used when I registered." We will come back to this. The scenario is set in Crete and features 548 Germs thing to clear the Fort Hill board of GO Kiwis. Nice scenario to train on, if the grog takes the Kiwis b/c they get 2x AFV late in the game. Vs. a newb you could forego the AFV I think. So I asked one more time for his name, he gave the same answer. I said you are a Spook and work for the US Gov't he smiled a wry smile and walked off into the cover of a room filled with old men... he later came up and showed me his registration packet... I did use my real name. Name with held here for security reasons. 1-0

WO30 As Luck Would have It. vs Wayne Saunders. I play Wayne semi regularly and is some one I have brought up through the ASL ranks he has some 100 games under his ASL belt. This from the new WO pack, mixed German force vs Brit Paras (edit: [D-day]). The Germans have to take some buildings and /or exit troops* off the long edge, where AFV can also exit, but do not count for points...lost AFV counts against German VC. 2-0

DTF-2 Blitzkrieg. vs "Major Issues". I am sure you will get a much cooler AAR from Vinny in due course. So look out for that one. His French defeated my Germans, as we both agree...by just hunting German tanks... His purchases was all about anti-tank weapons...and so was his plan...and it worked. 2-1.

PT Canepa vs Chas Argent. I never had the opportunity to play Chas (quick wit) and so volunteered to PT on a very interesting rolling hills and country side map for a forthcoming HASL set in Italy...no NOT Ortona... While not told to withhold the name I prefer to error on the side of discretion. I had the attacking "Britis" vs his Germans, having to capture some rural farm houses or exit off the map. The Brits get a nice combined arms force vs. a Greman mix infantry force backed by a Pak. 40. Scenario played nicely, thought was just to upgrade one German 467. 3-1.

FrF 99 Boy Soldiers vs Jim Bishop. Jim and I usually try to have a match, where we ply our foreign accents, but alas this game we failed to for some reason. We diced for sides and Jim got the Russkies and I the boys...447s and 436s (whose broken morale is 2 higher). The objective is to clear the chateau board of Russians in multihued stone buildings or get a across a goal line defined by a straight line RR. I managed to get around Jim's left flank early in the game, and was headed for a big rack up of points for cross the goal line, when the Russian sniper made an appearance and caused some carnage on two 'shots'. This righted the ship for a time for Jim, but the boys regrouped and manage to clear buildings and get a few chaps over the line. 4-1. Look forward to playing the Bishop again...who was next see at work in Koenigsberg.

FrF 100 Deutsch Lesson vs Ron Duenski....a dice for sides gave me the Germans and Ron the Brits. His objective getting Infantry across a goal line. I have only a light screen force to begin with, captured 57L, PSK and LMG and 3 squads. Ron enters with AFV, and HT...I destroyed only one HT and a sq with my ATG in Def. But my prep I get rate 2x and 2 shots of APDS and burn some Shermans...Ron is not happy and I know about it...my PSK gets another Sherman...volume increases....but its operator is soon dispatched with an ad fire 2 down 1 shots of snakes.... However, by now my reinforcements have good position and things do not go well for Ron and he calls it a night. 5-1.

PT den Ouden Hold's the Line vs Malcolm Cameron (an Australian flew in for the event and RR in NYC and Philly). This was my favorite scenario of the event. A future FW scenario slated for Journal. Also Malcom taught me some down under Ozzie ASL slang..."back in the box." Meaning your SMC, MMC was just KIAed and it should be placed 'back in the box." He also used 'pick up sticks' which is slang for roll for recovery. I for my part taught him "Consulting Jane's" which local slang around here for looking at the pack of a BAZ to PIAT or PASK to look at the TH values...consulting Jane's Defense Manuals. Anyways this is a night scenario but night 'lite' and features a 3 tiered CPVA force against a Dutch OUNC with semi-autos defending a small town, with the CPVA after 3 of the 4 multi-hex buildings...it is a fine attack and counter attack scenario. I am sure it will be an FW classic in time. 6-1.

PT Back in the Saddle vs Major Dave von Garvin. This too is an FW scenario featuring US Cav. vs. the KPA in the early part of the war. The US has to try and amass VP (trenches, PB, guys on Hill tops and / or clear 1/2 board of KPA). This battle takes part on the new board 77, which is a fine board for the system a double hill with grain (or rice paddies) here it was as a brush filled hillside so just played as grain... I had the KPA and Major von Garvin the US. Dave being ex Ops like to give each movement phase or the role of certain moving pieces operational code names...so on turn one it was "Operation Fie Minefield" which he did successfully with 2 of his HS...but then proceeded to put in play Operation Pathway...driving his tanks through the AP mines to create some trails breaks for his infantry...one of his tanks would go down to a KPA TH-H b/c he got out in front of his infantry support too much. My delaying force managed to do its job and although Dave swept up 1/2 a board and got a PB and a trench he could not rack up 10 points and was on the verge of suffering a point reversal with his losses in personnel. This too will be a scenario to look out for. 7-1.

Raffle ....so I bought $5 worth of raffle tickets...and managed to have my name called 2nd on the night...I went for one of the famed 'mystery boxes," of which there were 5 at start....and none had been claimed...I passed on ASL for a Year, Gamer's for a Year, a copy of RO.........and wait for it..........I won a very, very, very, rare item.....an MMP Note Pad! aka Booby Trap Prize.... The next guy after me, also went for a mystery box and won MMP FOR LIFE!!! So I had a 1-5 shot at the grand daddy of all prizes.

Great event as always..

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
"I won a very, very, very, rare item.....an MMP Note Pad! aka Booby Trap Prize.... The next guy after me, also went for a mystery box and won MMP FOR LIFE!!! So I had a 1-5 shot at the grand daddy of all prizes. " - Justicar

That is what happens when you take point in enemy territory. Games for life might be just the thing to do me in this year, thus I went for the biggest stack so as not to be the biggest loser.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
glad to see a KW expert playtest the next scenario - And for the rest of you, it's really not that tough! Give Forgotten War a try if you have not done so already.
There is nothing difficult rules-wise about Pete's scenario at all. Tactically it is a nice challenge. Recommend +1.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is nothing difficult rules-wise about Pete's scenario at all. Tactically it is a nice challenge. Recommend +1.
US player gets 5 x M-24s with weak but plentiful infantry.
NKPA has strong infantry, but only moderate AT assets.

Both sides will need to play to their strengths to succeed.

Best of all, I feel it reflects this particular action quite well.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
US player gets 5 x M-24s with weak but plentiful infantry.
NKPA has strong infantry, but only moderate AT assets.

Both sides will need to play to their strengths to succeed.

Best of all, I feel it reflects this particular action quite well.
Not to be confused with WO32 Corps Value from the recent WO Bonus Pack, where the US player gets 4 x M26A1s, a Flame tank, a Dozer tank, and strong but scanty USMC infantry.

The rest of the write up would seem to apply equally to both scenarios, although the NKPA infantry is more of a mixed bag (what with the railroad workers) plus they get a bunch of points to spend on Fortifications.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I thought WO30 occurred on 6 Jun 44 and not during Market Garden, is your info wrong or is the scenario info wrong on the MMP site? Germans are SS?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I thought WO30 occurred on 6 Jun 44 and not during Market Garden, is your info wrong or is the scenario info wrong on the MMP site? Germans are SS?
No just my error going from memory after burn out from play and writing that AAR when I got home on the Sunday. I will change it. Thanks.