Wire and Routs. Yes, one more Rout question

Elrohir69

Reaction score
First name
Santiago
Country
llSpain
Hi Guys,

It doesn't matter how many scenarios you play, there are always some tricky rout situations that bring up questions not clarified by the rules (at least not clearly clarified).

One unit is routing and has one Woods Location Adjacent under FFE. Luckily for the demoralized soldiers, they can forfeit it because it's at the same distance as their current location from the only KEU. They have another woods hex, just 2 hexes away, but the hex between them and the protection of the wood is occupied by Wire, so it will cost them at least 4 MF to get into the woods (if they roll a 1 in the Wire check). There's another woods hex at 4 MF distance from them, but they have to cross two OG hexes, so technically is farther than the previous one, at least if there were no Wire in the first case.

DO they have to consider the cost of crossing the Wire and then go to the second Woods location or the Wire is not considered in the MF calculation and they have to get the first option, even though they will have to cross the wire?

We've been looking for an answer in B26 and more specifically in B26.41 (Rout in Wire Section) as well as the general rules for routing. But there's nothing related to Wire in A10.51

"a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods hex (even if overstacked) unless that route is through/into a known minefield or FFE, or is not traversable (e.g., through a Blaze, unbridged Water Obstacle, Cliff, etc.) "

That phrase clearly states that the MF are calculated at the start of its RtPh.

The case that I'm presenting (which is an actual case in an ongoing scenario) is somehow more clear, as we know that the minimum cost for crossing the Wire would be two MF, and that equals the second option to rout. But, what about another location that is five or six MF away from the routing unit? How do you calculate in that case the cost of the Wire location?

Any hints on this? Are there any Q&A from Perry illuminating us?

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Old Q and A

A10.51 & B26 For purposes (only) of
determining the shortest route in MF, assume
wire will cost 1MF. [Letter53]

IMO, thought it was in the RB somewhere, cant find it myself just now
But thats How I understand it to work

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There is a Q&A indeed:

A10.531
Rule A10.531 says, in part, “The cost to enter/exit Fortifications within a hex are not part of the total MF cost used when
calculating the nearest building/woods hex.” No exception is made for Wire, which is a Fortification. Is the MF cost of Wire then
ignored when calculating the nearest building/woods hex for purposes of determining a rout destination?

A. No (you do not enter/exit that fortification).

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i dont uderstand "no -- you dont enter/exit that fortification" .... is this in effect saying no rout path thru wire at any cost?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
i dont uderstand "no -- you dont enter/exit that fortification" .... is this in effect saying no rout path thru wire at any cost?
I think that, as you don't enter Wire (you move under it), the exclusion of the cost for entering a Fortification doesn't apply when you calculate the MF cost for a rout path.
Aneil's Q&A states that you assume 1MF for moving under it when you calculate the MF of a rout path.

Elrohir69

Reaction score
First name
Santiago
Country
llSpain
So you have to count the MF as at least 2 MF? Or do you just ignore the Wire and calculate the routing cost as if there were no Wire in the rout. You don't enter/exit the fortification in this case.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
So you have to count the MF as at least 2 MF? Or do you just ignore the Wire and calculate the routing cost as if there were no Wire in the rout. You don't enter/exit the fortification in this case.
The point is you never enter or exit Wire - whilst you do enter and exit other Fortifications like Foxholes or Pillboxes.
So you count a default 1 MF for moving under it.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
IMO, thought it was in the RB somewhere, cant find it myself just now
But thats How I understand it to work
Perhaps you are recollecting the Berserk rule, A15.431:
"...(counting Wire as 1 MF for purposes of this calculation only)..."