Wintergewitter Axis turn depot

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi guys, just to let u know that John has big PC problems at present, he's in the process of getting fixed, but it may be a few days before he's with us again.

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey fellas, I had some problems with EF II and had to a complete reinstall of my EF II program. I had all my scens and saved games, + modded terrain files all backed up, and everything is cool.

I just reviewed the replay for wintergewitter, and everything seems normal. Two questions though:

1. Every time I put the FotR CD in the tray, the computer keeps trying to run the installer. It's as if the computer does not realize the FotR expansion is already installed. Is there any way I can shut this off? I have confirmed that I can start new FotR campaigns, and I can play my old ones too, so FotR is definately installed correctly, right?

2. I installed FotR over the Project Blitzkreig CD - will that overwrite PB? Should I reinstall Project Blitzkrieg? :nuts:

Thanks in advance for the answers, J.G. ;)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, knowing that you blew up your computer by deleting dlls, it might have something to do with your CD driver, but I don't think so or it wouldn't be running at all, so...

The game looks to the original install drive. It's possible that you originally had your CD drive configured to use a different letter, like "R". If it now says "D" or "E", then that's the problem. Your choices then would be to let the application reinstall itself** when it tries to, or change the drive letter back to what it used to be. This link will tell you how to do it in Windows 98: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121244 (in the old days the proper configuration was to assign R to the CD drive, so try that first. If it's already R then try D or E).

**If you already reinstalled from your present drive configuration, then logically I doubt that's the problem, unless there were stragglers from a previous install and it's conflicting. In which case you could try uninstalling everything, then reinstalling. That should work.

Don't know about the Project Blitzkrieg disks, but I'd reinstall them anyway if the drive letter change doesn't work.

Oh, one last thing, hurry up.

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To tell you the truth Dave, the drive letters were changed - by me, a while back, when I got my second hard drive added. I think I'm sensing a pattern here - I need to stop tinkering.

Anyway, after I reinstalled everything is when I got the new error. Before then, my fresh-from-the-shop computer kept acting like there was no CD in the tray at all ("please insert disk" - even though there was one).

So, I can now play the game normally, I just hate the way it tries to install FotR everytime I insert the CD. I just click it off and it's no big deal, but still irritating, and making me wonder if other things aren't working.

Oh, thought I should mention; when my comp first came back from the shop, there was an empty EF II folder on my C drive. I keep EF II, RS, and DG / DG-Vietnam on the D drive. Only West Front is on my C drive (I've been too lazy to move it). The EF II folder (the "real" one) was still on the D drive, filled with the usual info, but I couldn't play on it. Perhaps the guy at the store who worked on it got confused and assigned a dll entry to the C drive? I noticed that when I was reinstalling, the comp defaults to the C drive, but I overrode this manually.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It certainly sounds like he ignored at least some of your customizations, but I would have too, I think. If I were you, seeing as you still have issues, I'd back up all the data files I wanted to keep, write down all the custom settings like firewall exceptions and ISP stuff, maybe start collecting updated device drivers for all the devices; and then I'd reformat the hard drive and start over. Believe it or not, but a lot of IT guys I know swear by it. I know one guy who reformats every three months! Even if you don't want to go that far, at least get backed up and a disk made with drivers...just in case your computer has another bomb coming.

Play your turns first.

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Michael, can u please delete some of the e-mail in your home account as we keep getting bounce back as it's full. If we do not hear from you by Monday will have to play your turn until such time as u contact us.

cheers
Robert

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hry guys, I sent the turn on the 26th - I hadn't rec'd a confirmation from anyone though. Did the axis receive the file ok?

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi John, sorry turn received, but we are having trouble raising the dead, sorry, i mean one of our team members. Apologies for the slight delay.
Robert

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Allied guys, Allied woe continues as the triumphant Axis forces press hard despite the best efforts of your engineers. Latest turn sent today.

cheers n good luck

Robert

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Ok guys, i'm trying posting this again. One of our team members (Michael) has decided to drop out of the game. So apologies for any delay whilst Matt and myself try & sort where we are in the game. Hopefully this wont take to long, and whether we continue as a two player team :)
cheers all
Robert

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Rob, is there any way you could find a new team member to replace Michael?

Reason I ask, is that I have always felt that the more members one team has, the LESS efficient it is, due to all the confusion and conflict that result from more brains wanting to do more varied things tactically.

Seeing as how you guys have, well now, 2 people and we have 4, it would be awesome if you could find someone to succeed him.

Let me know what happens. :)

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi John, i hear what u r saying, but now having had 3 team members pass thru our sweaty hands, i think we have almost exhausted the membership of this forum.

If there is anybody out there that wants to join the winning side pipe up now :)

cheers
Robert