Winter Offensive

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy all,
I am thinking about going to WO for the first time. However, I amn't very clear about the structure of the event. Is there a tournament, or just a lot of ASL? I see that there are minis...
Insights appreciated!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Howdy all,
I am thinking about going to WO for the first time. However, I amn't very clear about the structure of the event. Is there a tournament, or just a lot of ASL? I see that there are minis...
Insights appreciated!
The tournament starts with lots of unstructured playing. After a while Perry goes around and looks at everyone's record. Them that has good records get put up on the big board and matched against other players on the big board. It's the same "structure" as ASLOK. Unlike ASLOK, it is not a "ASL-only" or even "ASL-primarily" event. Other players are there playing OCS, Civil War, etc. It's a pretty relaxed event [EXC: the raffle].

JR

plpalmerdvm

Reaction score
Country
ll
Howdy all,
Insights appreciated!
There is definitely a tournament going on although maybe not as strictly structured as others. As JR said, if you are competing in the tourney, Perry will pair you with someone with a similar record. The field pares down over the weekend so many/most are doing open play or other games. And then there are the minis which are usually playtest scenarios and fun to play in. In the evenings, there is usually quite a bit of other gaming going on. So definitely go and have fun. Your "tournament" can be as competitive as you want it to be, and you're sure to have fun. And then there's the Saturday evening raffle. And pizza. And usually WO discounts on MMP products, so Win, Win, Win situation! (also there are sometimes OOP items there that there aren't enough to sell on the MMP website, so you never know what you will find)

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, looks fun. Trying to figure out public transport is a typical nightmare. Any locals know how that works (or doesn't)?
Likely to fly in to BWI and looks like trains don't go to the venue.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Put a snow shovel in the car. I have been going off and on since the beginning but two years ago we got snowed in and left Monday after digging our car out of a snow drift. One year there was ice, some years snow flurries but in general there have been little problems. Do check the forecast, however, before departing.

Stephen Frum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, looks fun. Trying to figure out public transport is a typical nightmare. Any locals know how that works (or doesn't)?
Likely to fly in to BWI and looks like trains don't go to the venue.
Sadly there is no public transport option. However, it is "only" 21 miles from BWI.
Perhaps one of us locals can pick you up. Alternatively, taxis or uber really aren't that expensive once you have made the correct decisions to attend WO.
The event is really terrific, don't let that last 20 miles dissuade you.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Stephen.
I bought plane tickets and registered. The DC metro (from DCA) gets me to about 5 miles out, then an uber is pretty painless, so it is all set.
Looking forward to getting schooled!
Even bringing my sensei along!
Paul

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't make it this year (again) but I'm pulling for Cirillo to make it a hat trick--ASLOK, Albany, & Winter Offensive. If he makes it to the Bitter Ender and wins that it will be an ASL Grand Slam!

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't make it this year (again) but I'm pulling for Cirillo to make it a hat trick--ASLOK, Albany, & Winter Offensive. If he makes it to the Bitter Ender and wins that it will be an ASL Grand Slam!
Whoa, before Cirillo's head becomes too giant, I'm thinking we should temper "ASL Grand Slam" expectations! :eek:

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug, you might be the one to stop him.
To be fair, over the last 13 game tournament stretch, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for a pair of DR=10's in back-to-back CCPh's that Doug rolled against one of my lone French HSs in J183 A Real Barn Burner. Absent even one of those DR=10s, my HS would have been eliminated and Doug would have gained a substantial tactical advantage. With that, I most likely don't get beyond Round 4 at ASLOK, Doug advances and I move on to playing in a Saturday mini like I do most years at ASLOK. The margin between winning and losing against ANY player at any one of these tournaments is razor thin. IMO, in general, the quality of competition at ASL tournaments is as deep as it has ever been and a loss in most Rounds shouldn't ever be viewed as an "upset" but rather a reflection of depth of player quality within the community.

Bill

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill,

Is that you interviewing for the first color analyst position on ASL TV?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To be fair, over the last 13 game tournament stretch, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for a pair of DR=10's in back-to-back CCPh's that Doug rolled against one of my lone French HSs in J183 A Real Barn Burner. Absent even one of those DR=10s, my HS would have been eliminated and Doug would have gained a substantial tactical advantage. With that, I most likely don't get beyond Round 4 at ASLOK, Doug advances and I move on to playing in a Saturday mini like I do most years at ASLOK. The margin between winning and losing against ANY player at any one of these tournaments is razor thin. IMO, in general, the quality of competition at ASL tournaments is as deep as it has ever been and a loss in most Rounds shouldn't ever be viewed as an "upset" but rather a reflection of depth of player quality within the community.

Bill
Players are so close in skill level now that DRs are often the difference between winning and losing. My situational die luck at ASLOK was terrible. To cap of the tournament, I rolled a 12 on a 6:1 CC and lost the game on opponents withdraw. I could not get bodies into every possible withdraw location.

You played a great game and your win was well earned.

plpalmerdvm

Reaction score
Country
ll

Bill
Yes, agree that the margin between winning and losing can be quite thin, and it's not always your (or your opponents) average DR, but the timing of the DRs. Still, I think that the better players do things that maximize their chance of winning. First, they tend to make fewer big mistakes and better decisions overall. Second, they tend to "maximize" the DRMs that they get. Third, they (usually) don't get rattled when things don't go their way because they know a game can turn very quickly. And last, they keep an eye on the big picture in the scenario, especially in regards to achieving VCs.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Check Bill's dice. I think he used the ones that only had one's and two's on them at Albany...

Timing of rolls matters a lot. Rolling an 11 on a 2+1 APH shot is not really any loss, but getting the random sniper selection (from a PTC) to hit a 9-2 leader in a stack of 5 units.

For the real Napoleon quote "I know he is good, but is he lucky?".

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you’re going to WO18 and you’d like to try a large scenario and be part of something bigger..And compete for a MAJOR PRIZE. Sign up Friday after you crash and burn because of that one dr that screwed your chance of glory.

The Dinant mini will allow them to see your genius when you aren’t defeated in a 17 minute 4 Turn tournament scenario by a dollop of petrochemical goop.

We understand.
We don’t care.
But we do understand.

We just need bodies.

Attachments