Winter Offensive Packs or Hakkaa Päälle

Which is the 'better' collection/module?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
These two sets/modules have similar play counts, and are both well respected. I say it's the WO Packs, Martin says it's HP. Help us decide who gets to come at the King (and Country) in the quarter finals, by settling this.

Oh - and I see what you guys did with the Annuals vs Festung Budapest ending in a tie. But don't worry, our virtual coin toss settled the debate! That episode will be up in 20 mins or so.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I vote - "yes." Not presented as an option.

It really is a question of incrementally "when" not a single question of "if." Put them on a registry and throw yourself a party.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ha - I know.. this really isn't a "I only have the money for one of these" type questions, it's more about trying to (in a fun, frivolous way) find the 'best' official module. I'd hazard a guess that most of us here have most of this stuff anyway, so this is just a simple "what's better?".

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Bought the vast majority of my Action Pack/Winter Offensive copies when MMP has their Black Friday/Veteran's Day sales (Day of the sale has changed over the past few years).

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hard to draw an accurate comparison with the WO packs representing such a wide array of actions as well as game mechanics.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hard to draw an accurate comparison with the WO packs representing such a wide array of actions as well as game mechanics.
That's why you guys are here - to make the tough calls for us!

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bought the vast majority of my Action Pack/Winter Offensive copies when MMP has their Black Friday/Veteran's Day sales (Day of the sale has changed over the past few years).
As MMP product pricing goes, charity-funding W.O. Packs seem more prone than most items for steep price declines after intial release.

Unless distracted, I usually buy them at full price as they become available. Seems I see them much later, though, for =much= less.

In contrast, major modules are typically available for nice pre-order discounts, then only go up in price over time.

If I were penny-watching, I wouldn't buy a W.O. pack until a year or so post-release, even at risk of missing one owing to an out-of-stock condition.

For "value" reasons, my nod goes to HK. But both are indispensable IMO, especially as the packs so often include new boards and (often) rather innovative designs.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Both are great items. For the purpose of the vote, I go with the WO packs because of their variety.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So how do you resolve ties?
They figure out which Consortium has offered more bribes, then Dave says "Heads it's Hakaa Paalle, Tails it's the WO Packs", then Martin peers intently at the screen and announces whoever offered more money.

Duh!

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Just based on my experience playing through both HP and all but the last three WO packs, I would always recommend HP in terms of quality of scenario design. There are some gems in the WO packs but a lot of the scenarios have left me completely unimpressed both in regards to balance and situational design.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
HP
It has maps.
And counters.
I'm a sucker for maps, particularly, but add counters and it's a must buy.

WOs have one map, no counters.

I actually buy both normally.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In general, core modules always beat scenario packs.
That said, I have played much more WO Bonus Pack scenarios than from the Hakkaa Päälle thingy, though...

von Marwitz

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Buying all of the WOs will cost more than HP, unless you're paying out of print premium prices.
But maybe HP is too focused on a niche subject for many?

Anyway, my rule of thumb is to never bypass an official module when it's released.
I learned that lesson with A Bridge too Far.
Once they're OOP the prices get stupid.